The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please explain why my alchamey crafting writ is requiring of me to produce goods which are beyoundme

Shakenmoon23167
Character is:
Level 40
Crafting level: 33
Writs wants filtered water....
I can purchase it from Guild Trader.

Best Answers

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that you've put the points into the alchemy passive requiring you to use filtered water, it should theoretically show up in water sources 50% of the time.

All raw crafting materials spawn at an approximately 50:50 ratio to your crafting passive rank and your character level. Now understand that 50:50 is controlled by RNG, so not always a direct reflection.

That being said: you just now reached character level 40 - which should correspond to filtered water dropping from water sources. Since your writs are asking for filtered water, this also means you have put enough points into the alchemy passive to be at Rank IV - which would also induce nodes to drop filtered water.

So if both of these just happened, then at no other point before now would the game have generated filtered water for you to loot. But going forward, all nodes (until you reach level 50/CP10) and/or improve your alchemy profession to Rank V, should drop filtered water.

Another possibility that hasn't been addressed is: Are you actually looting the proper sources for water? You simply stated the game has not made it available to you, but have you actively been trying to harvest it? Alchemy water solvents come from three sources that I know of:
    1. The water skins found near crates or campsites and other areas of npc activity.
    2. Pure water nodes (the bubbly things in larger bodies of water)
    3. Certain containers such as urns and possibly some containers typically containing provisioning ingredients

I'm not trying to sound condescending, it sometimes is just a simple thing that gets overlooked.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

Answer ✓
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Didn't say I couldn't use or make potions with filtered water.
    The game has not made filtered water available to me.
    I can purchase from Guild Trader and craft but that puts the cost over the top.

Do you mean you expect ZOS to pay you the gold it costs you to buy the materials to satisfy the writs? That's funny.

Besides, your overlooking selling the Flowers you get in the reward container that you can sell for far more than a bottle of solvent

To be fair. The cost of the "lower" tier solvents/oils are quite a bit more expensive than those at higher levels due to supply. Most people do not keep their Alchemy at ranks 2-7 (either at 1 or 8), and certainly most people do not keep their characters at level 40.

To the OP, now that you are at rank 5 and level 40 as a character, the water nodes will drop the appropriate materials for you. As others have said, when your character level and crafting level differ, your nodes will be split approximately 50/50 between the two types.

Hope this answers your question.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all based on your material passive, or for Alchemy, your Solvent Passive. Yours must be set at 4.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alchemist_Writ

In any event, Writs or Crafting is wholly dependent on Material Passive, not character or crafting level. Of course, you have to have a certain level in the craft to unlock Materials of various levels, you can for sure craft above your weight, as it were.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only just reached rank 4 in Solvent Proficiency, you may not have gathered any yet, but it will be dropping from water skins, springs, urns etc. just like the lower level solvents did before. You also need it to make the potion for the writ.
  • Shakenmoon23167
    SOLVENT PROFICIENCY IV
    "Next upgrade unlocked at Achemy Rank 40"
    My alchemy rank is 35
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can use filtered water with alchemy rank 35:
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Solvent+Proficiency
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Shakenmoon23167
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean you expect ZOS to pay you the gold it costs you to buy the materials to satisfy the writs? That's funny.

Besides, your overlooking selling the Flowers you get in the reward container that you can sell for far more than a bottle of solvent
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Shakenmoon23167
    "Do you mean you expect ZOS to pay you the gold it costs you to buy the materials to satisfy the writs? That's funny."

Nester,

Did I ask ZOS for any $, crowns or otherwise. And why would you assume so.
    What kind of Ambassador are you?
    I was simply stating the facts of what was happening to me.
    I was being given writs to produce but yet the game was not providing the required material!
    But yet I could purchase it at a greatly increased cost.
    What kind of *** dunk is that?
    I'll just go n buy it, complete the quest and add the pay back to my bag of revenge quests. To be delivered at a time of my choosing.
    If ZOS thought the Scrolls getting stolen from the tower in Oblivion was a fiasco, stand by for heavy seas.
    I will hang the blade of Damocles over there heads.
  • Shakenmoon23167
    I am now recieving Filtered Water.
    Thank you all for your help and insight.
    Onwards through the fog.

Shakenmoon23167