Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Faction recognition by locked campaigns

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
People have been suggesting that it would be nice that when they home a locked campaign that all of their characters regardless of their actual respective factions could all fight for the faction that they home for. It has been said that doing this would be a potential programming nightmare due to main story lines and other issues. However, I believe this is more of an issue regarding permanent faction changing. I believe there are already ways programmed into the game for battlegrounds that allow people to team up together regardless of faction and fight against people that may or may not be of the same faction as them.

I propose that they do something similar with locked campaigns whereby only that campaign when homed will see all of the characters on the same account as fighting for that faction. Doing so in this way would not involve a permanent faction change, but rather only an override mechanism that causes a homed, locked campaign to view all characters on an account as loyal to the faction chosen when locking that account to a particular faction. Outside of that locked campaign the rest of the game would view each character as the proper faction that it is, but inside that campaign it would view that character as the faction that was chosen when homed. So a character could have a faction=EP but also have a factionvivec=AD when AD is homed in a locked campaign. In this way the game would see this character as EP everywhere in game except in Vivec, or insert new campaign name.

I have 13/13 DC characters so am really not affected by this, but people that are spread among factions with their characters are being denied use of their off faction characters unless they take them to another campaign. I see this as a possible solution to that dilemma.
Edited by Ranger209 on April 14, 2019 12:48AM
  • Edirt_seliv
    Edirt_seliv
    ✭✭✭
    Better idea: no faction locks.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds fair
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Even better idea: faction locks
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post.. I think we will be discussing things like this more once they lock them.
    Edited by Enkil on April 14, 2019 12:50AM
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭

Agree.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer no faction locks but OPs idea would at least solve some problems of implementing a faction lock.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    People have been suggesting that it would be nice that when they home a locked campaign that all of their characters regardless of their actual respective factions could all fight for the faction that they home for. It has been said that doing this would be a potential programming nightmare due to main story lines and other issues. However, I believe this is more of an issue regarding permanent faction changing. I believe there are already ways programmed into the game for battlegrounds that allow people to team up together regardless of faction and fight against people that may or may not be of the same faction as them.

I propose that they do something similar with locked campaigns whereby only that campaign when homed will see all of the characters on the same account as fighting for that faction. Doing so in this way would not involve a permanent faction change, but rather only an override mechanism that causes a homed, locked campaign to view all characters on an account as loyal to the faction chosen when locking that account to a particular faction. Outside of that locked campaign the rest of the game would view each character as the proper faction that it is, but inside that campaign it would view that character as the faction that was chosen when homed. So a character could have a faction=EP but also have a factionvivec=AD when AD is homed in a locked campaign. In this way the game would see this character as EP everywhere in game except in Vivec, or insert new campaign name.

I have 13/13 DC characters so am really not affected by this, but people that are spread among factions with their characters are being denied use of their off faction characters unless they take them to another campaign. I see this as a possible solution to that dilemma.

Since I wear the Alliance War outfit, I might be able to share some light here.

Joining a Battleground does not remove your alliance. It merely puts all the members on your team into one of the three alliances. What I mean is I'm wearing the EP shirt, be put onto the Stormlords, and then be wearing the DC shirt. It only teams players up by putting them onto one of the alliances in an separate instance. It doesn't seem to me a step toward a general "overide" as you put it into a non-instanced open-world Cyrodiil.

Also, even if ZOS could do such a thing, If I understand what you are proposing, it doesn't address the main complain that people who dislike the faction-locks have: being forced to play on an overpopulated alliance.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I wear the Alliance War outfit, I might be able to share some light here.

Joining a Battleground does not remove your alliance. It merely puts all the members on your team into one of the three alliances. What I mean is I'm wearing the EP shirt, be put onto the Stormlords, and then be wearing the DC shirt. It only teams players up by putting them onto one of the alliances in an separate instance. It doesn't seem to me a step toward a general "overide" as you put it into a non-instanced open-world Cyrodiil.

Also, even if ZOS could do such a thing, If I understand what you are proposing, it doesn't address the main complain that people who dislike the faction-locks have: being forced to play on an overpopulated alliance.

I guess I am looking at Pit Daemons, Storm Lords, and Fire Drakes as pseudo alliances that the game realizes for purposes of Battlegrounds. Regardless of what actual alliance you created your character as, when you enter battlegrounds this pseudo alliance takes precedence allowing characters of differing alliances to be on the same team and even fight against characters of the same actual alliance while on this battlegrounds team. Am I missing something in looking at battlegrounds in that way? If so please correct me.

I am thinking that the same approach could be used to each of the locked campaigns enabling all characters on an account regardless of the faction they were created under to fight for a pseudo alliance, in this case to the outside world of the same name as the original 3 alliances rather than Pit Daemons, etc. However this alliance name is recognized by the code to differentiate it from the actual born into alliance of the character upon character creation doesn't matter. It could be faction A, B, and C in the code for the locked Cyrodiil campaigns or campaignnameEP, campaignnameAD, etc. Something slightly different from how the game determines faction for story lines and pvp currently. There has to be a named variable in there that distinguishes the 3 from each other for those purposes.

Now maybe battlegrounds don't actually create new factions or team names to make that happen, I guess I don't know, just seemed like a logical way to make that happen. But regardless I think it is doable in a much easier way than allowing for actual faction changes that would wreak havoc on main story lines and things of that nature. Being there is only one way to enter Cyrodiil, and the way that it is done, I am not sure how much of a difference there is between the instanced battlegrounds and this non-instanced Cyrodiil. It kind of acts like one big long term instance for up to pop cap amount of people.

As to your second point, no it doesn't address that. It's more of a compensation for that. At least if this were done you would still have access to all of your characters for that locked campaign albeit to be used only for the faction that you enlist under for the duration of that campaign. If you switch alliances for the next campaign you would then again have access to all of your characters to fight for the new alliance that you chose. It also address a complaint people have had about wanting to play with a friend using a specific character that was not allied with a specific character that their friend wanted to play with. This situation would be a thing of the past as now you could pick the same campaign as your friend and all of your characters for you and your friend could fight for that alliance. You could use your AD character and your friend could use their EP character and you both could fight for DC or whichever alliance you both enlist under. I know its not perfect, but it is some compensation.
    Edited by Ranger209 on April 15, 2019 3:13AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think PVP (Cyrodiil and IC) is the last bastion of the original 3 Alliances concept and if you remove the character lock to an alliance, you might as well look at getting rid of alliances altogether.

Some people have all their character in one alliance because of pride. Others, like me, had them spread out (6/5/4 in my case), because they want the option of playing on any alliance. For me, it was a way to experience all zones and play with friends before One Tamriel.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Diundriel
    Diundriel
    ✭✭✭
    and now you ll be just able to Play only one alliance and just a handful of your characters you have on that side. If you dont want to Play on that alliance as it is laggy you can go to an empty Campaign or quit for the evening as cyrodil is anyway just a huge lag mess especially on pc eu. i mean i live in Germany and got better ping on na and much less ping Spikes, even if i Play na prime time...
    GM of former Slack Squad PvP Raid Guild
    Our Vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLwZNZlv8an4p-xNoboE7w

Characters:
    Zoe'la- AD Magplar AvA 50 x2.5
    Not Zoe'la- DC Magplar AvA 25
    Worst Healbot EU- EP Magplar AvA 20
    Diundriel- AD StamNB AvA 36
    Pugs Got Bombed- AD ManaNB AvA 36
    Cause we have dots- AD ManaSorc AvA 33
    Red Zergs Again- AD StamDen AvA 29
    Synergy Spam Bot- AD MagDK AvA 17
    Heals of Cyrodiil- AD ManaDen AvA 14
    Nawrina- DC StamDK AvA 26
    Not Ganking- StamNB PVE DD
    Stack Pls- DC ManaNB AvA 20
    Der Katzenmensch- AD AvA 30
    Der kleine Troll- DC StamDen AvA 24
    and some I deleted and new ones I am to lazy to add so well above 200 Mio AP and 6 Former Emperor Characters

PvE: multiple Flawless Conqueror Chars, vAS +2, vCloudrest +3, vRG, vKA, vCrag hms, vDSA 43,5k score ...
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this for further discussion now that we have some minimal experience playing with faction locks.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, basically what you are asking, is they completely scrap the Cyrodiil code and re-write it?
    Lethal zergling
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an override mechanism that causes a homed, locked campaign to view all characters on an account as loyal to the faction chosen when locking that account to a particular faction
    And you think this is something they could just whip up, in a couple of hours, like baking a cake?

Besides the fact, our characters have a faction for a reason. They're not going to just start fighting for a different side arbitrarily and capriciously.

So, in summary, it would take a tremendous amount of development effort - which I am sure any dedicated Cyrodiil player would tell you they'd prefer was dedicated to peformance/lag reduction - and it doesn't make sense on its face.

Basically, a non-starter.
    Lethal zergling
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure all the code already exists. Just needs to be applied in a different place and a different way. I'm not saying it is a 2 hour fix, but think it is doable similarly as to how battlegrounds allows characters from different factions to fight on the same team.

I am 100% for faction locks and believe the more people that get on board with it the more likely it stays. There is a lot of people who are against it because the feel they cannot use many of their characters to fight for the faction they choose. This would allow them to use all of their characters on whichever locked campaign they choose
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solution is clear. Zos encouraged us to play in various faction when they removed faction lock and other changes with 1T. Now that that are bringing back faction locks Matt and Rich need to man up and do the work needed to bring us faction changes for a limited time.

They need to own their decisions and be responsible. Something that is heavily lacking with these decisions.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a ground up adjustment by any means. It's a change as to how the Cyrodiil campaigns view factions.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't address/solve the underlying issues that baked in population imabalances cause during off peak.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's not it's purpose. Faction hopping never solved those problems either. That will take something entirely different, if it can ever be solved at all.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's not it's purpose. Faction hopping never solved those problems either. That will take something entirely different, if it can ever be solved at all.

Incorrect, when people swapped, or like me joined underpopulated factions, the map moved. Now, with pop. imbalances "locked in" that won't happen.

I don't mind being outnumbered, but when I'm getting gated and kerbstomped 6/7 against 1, I'm just switching to another game or off. Probably not zos' preferred outcome, but that's their problem.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It somewhat does if you could align with a non overpopulated alliance.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Every 30 days they will have the chance to switch to an underpopulated alliance
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

the only way to solve pop unbalance off hour, is to merge EU and NA, and probably alternate between where the main server was hosted, then the elite NAs can play as the Aussies, with alittle bad ping...
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The solution is clear. Zos encouraged us to play in various faction when they removed faction lock and other changes with 1T. Now that that are bringing back faction locks Matt and Rich need to man up and do the work needed to bring us faction changes for a limited time.

They need to own their decisions and be responsible. Something that is heavily lacking with these decisions.

I’d be okay with said scenario ONLY if the alliance change is FREE. If they add that and don’t allow you to change ALL your toons alliance for FREE I would not be on board with it. As it would just be another ZOS cash grab
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »

I’d be okay with said scenario ONLY if the alliance change is FREE. If they add that and don’t allow you to change ALL your toons alliance for FREE I would not be on board with it. As it would just be another ZOS cash grab

Then ask for a diffrent server, i and others want to play with locks...
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is, I feel, also the best solution to allow players to use all of their characters for the same campaign while at the same time allowing for faction balance to be a thing once a campaign ends. What I mean by that is that if a faction swap were a permanent thing and the majority of people made all of their characters 1 alliance they would then be stuck playing for that alliance indefinitely. If too many people picked the same alliance the faction imbalance would be a permanent thing. By allowing all characters to play for the same alliance and making that choice only last for the duration of the campaign it still allows players to swap alliances and balance campaigns over time. This could not be done with permanent faction change tokens or something of that nature.

It also allows for networks of friends to be able to swap and play with each other at different intervals where permanently adhering to only one faction would not allow for this. Permanent faction changing would mean that some friends could be played with always and some never. I've never believed playing with friends should be a primary factor in the lock/no lock debate, but it shouldn't be ignored completely either.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »

What do you think the probable ultimate goal is? Make us pay for faction swaps once they figure out how to ungarble their code. xd
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if they want to play their characters on the overpopulated faction aswell...

Which if they have 7 ep and 2 ad chars they actively pvp with - nobody in their right mind will do.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if they want to play their characters on the overpopulated faction aswell...

Which if they have 7 ep and 2 ad chars they actively pvp with - nobody in their right mind will do.

Sure but if such a player is in a guild that wants to switch factions to help balance things out then they can play all 9 of their characters as AD with their guild.
  • ZOS_RikardD
    ZOS_RikardD
    admin
    Greetings,

We have had to remove several comments for baiting or otherwise nonconstructive or off-topic commentary.

Please remember to keep future commentary constructive and civil and take a moment to review our Community Rules here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post