Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Sometimes I Miss The Old Days of MMORPG

• SpieleNerd
    weird, in my Ultima Online i would have beign killed and cleanlooted after he took the chest
    Edited by SpieleNerd on April 10, 2014 7:05AM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Getorix wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, Sure there were pleanty of jerks/scammers and ninjas in EQ but they never lasted long, atleast not on Tunare. Most of them were quickly blacklisted and run off the server by the tight nit community.

And no we should not rely on the game company to get rid of these people, the community can do a much better job of it.

Not easy to have a tight nit community when we're effectively on a single realm of hundreds of thousands at least. I can't even see the guilds players are in, so I don't see guild reputation being a thing in this game.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    I disagree. Calling a ninja a ninja makes him enjoy being a ninja even more.

Your only recourse is to build your own sub-community of nice, respectful people and try to ignore the random meanieheads.

Then we will have to agree to disagree. We can try and fail or try and succeed, but either is better than not trying at all IMHO.

I'd much rather leave the jerks be and spend that trying and effort on developing an awesome sub-community. Trying to change the whole community of MMO players is wasting effort that can go into the people worth putting time into.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to some extent w/ the OP. There are a couple of reasons. 1. Younger people are not raised with the same respect for others as they used to be, even 15 years ago. 2. Older games required more cooperation & grouping to be successful - so there was added in game incentive to get along. Lets face it in ESO you can solo the main story & guilds - in fact you are forced to.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Younger people are not raised with the same respect for others as they used to be, even 15 years ago.

That is incredibly debatable.
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    OP, you mentioned the "good ol' days" of Ultima Online. Another commenter mentioned that you must have been wearing "rose colored glasses".

With respect to UO, did you join AFTER someone killed Lord British in one of the most talked about (up until "Leeeeroy Jenkins!") unexpected player actions in MMORPG history?

Remember that?!? Fun times.

I will say this, if ESO has one of those "Epic" moments, it will have a long and healthy online life.
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I missed the murder of Lord British by another player. But I would agree that something Iike that, so unexpected and previously thought unfathomable, would make it more interesting.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    1. Younger people are not raised with the same respect for others as they used to be, even 15 years ago.

That is incredibly debatable.

Agreed. As a faculty member at an American university I see my fair share of entitled post-teens. But I also see a large number of responsible, decent, likable people who are creative, smart and have a great sense of humor. Maybe it's just my institution, but I find my students more compassionate and polite than many of my colleagues.

Of course, as one of my students said once, "Respect doesn't mean agreeing with everything you say."

It's unfair to tag an entire generation with a characterization like that.

Edited by MaxBat on April 10, 2014 9:13PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...