The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can we make lore book collecting a better player experience?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Do you think this game play aspect should be improved or is it fine as is?
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong section, my guy.

I understand you may be annoyed about the balancing (I.e. the Earthgore Nerf), but gameplay =/= lore or writing. Don't fault the writing team for the actions of the combat design team.
    Edited by Claudman on April 13, 2019 4:38PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, if this were on the game balancing section, I agree that the potential Earthgore nerf is sad, especially since I just found an appreciation for it about two-three months ago when I cared little for it.
    Edited by Claudman on April 13, 2019 4:40PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first step in making lorebook collecting a better experience would be moving the notification to where it does not obscure the book text.

EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Wrong section, my guy.

I understand you may be annoyed about the balancing (I.e. the Earthgore Nerf), but gameplay =/= lore or writing. Don't fault the writing team for the actions of the combat design team.

Hmm no just a passing question. The two are unrelated.
    Edited by Tasear on April 14, 2019 4:19AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We create a giant lending library in Eyevea so that anyone who finishes the MG questline gets ALL the books.

Okay, more seriously, I just use an add-on that shows me the locations.

But knowing ZOS, soon you'll be able to buy lore-book packs for your alts as long as you know them on another character, just like the new skyshard packs.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to put the books in your house... IN BOOKSHELVES.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »
    You should be able to put the books in your house... IN BOOKSHELVES.

O.O indeed!
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should be able to read all the dumb reasons to nerf earthgore in every single lorebook.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from being able to put them on a book shelf (but still force the other toons through mages guild i would say, they need to do some graft

The other option is a marker on map (base game, ignoring addons, as I'm console) not a pin perhaps a circle like some quests do so if you are near one you can think ah, ill bother to go see.

I don't agree in gimmes for alts. However when you have limited play time and your main is strong at everything getting on to bother do some of these things takes me a while, if I'm on, i wanna PvP or vMA / DSA run etc
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a pile of burning books for each time I've completed Shalidor's collection.
    PC EU
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The things I dislike about lorebook collecting on alts:

- It breaks immersion
    - It's lonely
    - It's boring

I think these could all be addressed. (If Zenimax ever wanted to, which is a separate question. Should they plan to sell lorebooks like skyshards, then it's in their financial interest to keep lorebook hunting as miserable as possible.)

Immersion: I play on console. When I go lorebook hunting I have to jump between the map on my mobile device, which is annoyingly tiny and cluttered, and the in-game map, which on a newer character is huge and empty. This exercise in cross-referencing continually breaks my attention and, for me, ruins the "story-like" feel of being in the game and exploring. This could be fixed with a marker toggle for console users on the in-game map.

Isolation: Lorebook hunting is one of many grinds, but at least when you're grinding gear or XP you can find other people to hang and chat with while you do it. Unless a guild I'm in is doing lorebook runs (which is rare), I'm on my own. It would be nice if we had some type of matchmaker feature, maybe as simple as a chat channel called "Lorebooks," where you could connect and chat with other lorebook hunters.

Boredom: This one's the hardest. It's a repetitive task requiring no skill, so by its nature it's not very interesting. Making the task more immersive and less isolating would in itself help a bit with the boredom.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    Making the lorebooks work the same way Diablo 3's ones do. Having the contents being read by whoever supposedly wrote it. I just ignore any books in the game because I have no interest in slowing down my rhythm.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add any book already found, by any character, to the Zone Guide for all characters.

24gj8ec.jpg