Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie questions: meta and build

Addaran
Addaran
Soul Shriven
Hi, just started, i'm level 18 so far. Read some new player guides and random posts. I got a bunch of questions!

1) Any website is good to explain the meta or someone could tell it to me? I'm wondering about the weapons: 2H, Dual, Bow and Shield. I've seen on forums things like 2H is for PvP, or Dual is the best for DPS. What about the armors? Do you have to pick light for magicka, medium for stam dps and heavy for tank? Or others builds are viable?

2) How to go about choosing your skills/build? You only have 6 active skills per bar, but you get 3 skill lines of 6 skills, the weapon ones and the guild ones. Is it better to focus on class, weapon or the guild skills? Do i pick mostly a single lines and slot 3-4 skills from that one on the bar or get the best skill from each line for a mix matched bar? How much should i focus on passives vs active skills?

3) Is there a good class/role that's very good with just one bar? Juggling two bars with different weapons seems a bit much for starting, i'd like a class that is good with just one bar/one ult.

4) For DPS, what's better, light attacks or heavy attacks? You're supposed to weave light attacks between skills, is that to have better DPS or for the substain?

5) Do damage type matters depending on the enemie? Some of them are more resistant to poison, fire or physical for exemple?

6) Role(s) a werewolf can be? Role(s) a vampire can be?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going to go very general here:

1) Alcast for a good breakdown on classes, gear, skills, and why. Woeler for tanks. Both give good foundations for why some things work and others do not. Also good to use as a starting platform that you can branch out from.

2) Are you PVE or PVP? Most skills do not overlap. Class is is the only thing in the game you can not change and has the biggest impact on your play style. Slotted skills have 2 purposes: inflict damage described and to give buffs to basic attacks, regen, etc.

3) Yes, I think sorcs, but not certain. Bar swapping is very common, so its probably best to play around with it now when it matters less.

4) Light attack weaving with skills. Used mostly with proc sets and to keep sustain. Heavy attack builds are no longer in fashion.

5) Yes, but not to the point that you will be hitting 100 damage versus 10,000 damage

6) No idea. Never ran a werewolf or vampire.

Finally, you can play everything in this game using the junkiest, nonsensical build out there. All this meta stuff only matters for veteran group content and if you are overly obsessive about staying alive in PVP. And even then, you will die. A lot.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To preface this, most builds are perfectly viable in overland questing content and even in easy group content. PVP, on the other hand, is going to be a steep learning curve no matter what you jump in with.

1) Most things are viable, technically. The basics of building an optimal build are as follows:
    PVE Magicka DPS: Light Armor + Destruction Staff
    PVE Stamina DPS: Medium Armor + Bow/Dual Wield
    PVE Healer: Magicka, Light Armor + Restoration Staff
    PVE Tank: Heavy Armor + One Hand & Shield
    Hybrid: Pelinal's Aptitude (crafted set)

PVP is much more complex, depending on how you best like to play.

2) It really depends on your class and build. In PVE, look to have a mix of self-heals, damage over time, AOEs, single target damage, and buffs. In PVP, again, that depends more on how you like to play.

Self-heals: Most magicka classes have access to self-healing skills or resto staff. Most stamina builds use Vigor from the PVP Assault line as their go-to self-heal.
    AOEs: Most Magicka builds use Wall of Elements from Destruction staff. Most Stamina builds use Endless Hail from Bow, possibly Caltrops from the PVP Assault skill line.
    The rest come from your weapons and class skill lines depending on your build.
    Notable guild skills are: Psijic - Imbue Weapon (a spammable); Mages Guild - Inner Light (a passive buff); Fighter's Guild - Silver Leash (Chains, for non DK tanks), and Trap Beast (a buff)

3) For PVE questing, most classes can get by with one bar as long as they can kill enemies. Once you hit group content, you'll probably appreciate the utility of two bars.
    Easiest One Bar Builds:
    Magicka DPS with Destruction Staff
    Stamina DPS with Bow or Dual Wield, depending on range or melee
    Healer with Resto Staff (Group Content)
    Tank with One Hand and Shield (Group Content)

If you want a class that can go the distance with only one bar, Pet Sorc using the Volatile Familiar and Twilight is probably the best of the One Bar builds for DPS.
    For Healer: Templar or Warden
    For Tank: Dragonknight or Warden

4) Light attacks in between every skill boosts your DPS. Heavy attacks are only used to regain resources.
    However, for group content, your DPS is gained through a rotation of damage skills and buffs, and you should be able to sustain that rotation without needing to stop to regain resources. That's something that will come through practice and leveling up and gaining Champion Points. If you are struggling with resources now, try using potions and make sure you've got a food buff going! I like Dubious Camoran Throne for Stamina and Witchmothers Potent Brew for Magicka builds.

Light Attacks between damage skills = Higher DPS, Heavy Attacks = regaining resources.

5) Yes, a little bit, but enough to overcome the benefits you get from using the types of damage suited to your build. For example, as a Magicka Dragonknight, I get bonuses to flame damage, so even if my enemies are somewhat resistant to fire, I get more benefit from using fire than I would if I swapped to poison.
    In general, the types break down like:
    Magicka: Spell damage, Spell Critical, Elemental (Fire, Ice, Shock), and Magic type damage
    Stamina: Weapon damage, Weapon Critical, Physical, Poison, and Disease
    Anyone can benefit from Oblivion damage.

6) Werewolves tend to be stamina builds and fill a DPS role. Unfortunately, they lack any sort of taunt, so please don't try to tank in Werewolf form.

Vampires tend to be magicka based in their skills, though many people use them for utility in various builds. They can fill any role as long as you pay attention to how much fire damage you are taking. The drink Double Bloody Mara is handy for changing your vampire level when you do group content that has a lot of fire damage.

Basic PVP Stuff
    1) Wear Impenetrable gear so you don't get critically hit to death all the time.
    2) I'd advise building to be tankier than you would for PVE while you are learning to PVP. The extra health or resistances really helps when it comes to staying alive long enough to learn something.
    3) Think about defense and offense. You'll want defensive buffs and self-heals - and use those proactively. You'll want burst damage, CCs and something to keep the pressure on your opponent - and use those when your opponent is vulnerable.

Hope this helps!
  • Addaran
    Addaran
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks both, it helps a lot! =)
    I was mostly thinking PVE. There's so much to do and explore, this game is amazing.