Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Zone chat...

Maestro_Sartori
Maestro_Sartori
✭✭✭
Hello

Well since they still refuse to put up a general disccusion area for the game I'll have to put it here...

Between the Gold spamming, Guild spamming, and Selling spamming zone chat is completely useless. Who actually sits there and watches and responds to all that garbage scrolling by continuously. I'm too busy playing the game myself.

They need to get some sort of AH going to eliminate some of this crap.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right now, the AH equivalent (Guild Store) is in place, but needs to be worked on before they expand it to whole-world. It's really, really bad.
  • ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    in my experience.. Even with an AH there will still be people posting WTS this and that. They need to make a channel just for that.
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Create a Tab without Zone-Chat.
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    I created a new chat tab that I called "Unfiltered", then turned zone chat off on my main tab. The game is much much more enjoyable with zone chat off, and you can still look at it if you really want to on the other tab.

It does mean you basically don't interact with people since there aren't any other channel options, and few people speak in /say... but considering the level of discourse in zone chat, that's not such a bad thing.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, look. Another auction house thread.

Forums have search functions.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Uncheck zone chat.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    haha how in the world is an AH going to eliminate gold selling spam and guild recruitment? Hell games WITH AHs have plenty of people selling crap in the zone channels too.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    haha how in the world is an AH going to eliminate gold selling spam and guild recruitment? Hell games WITH AHs have plenty of people selling crap in the zone channels too.

And it would actually increase it, because people would have more random things to spend their gold on. Currently, gold has very limited use in-game. I'd love to keep it that way.
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    quick question who can hear "say" - your party?
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    For party only you have party channel, while grouped with others (/p). Say can be seen/heard by everyone around you(except for people who have you on ignore), but not sure about range. Yell is similar but for sure have bigger range.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got 5 separate tabs, each one specifically for guilds 1-5 and none of them have zone chat. I have one general tab with has everything including zone chat. I usually respond to anything interesting in zone chat when I see it. Anytime I want to focus on guild chat (or group chat which also has its own tab) I just switch to that tab which doesn't have zone chat, so I can easily see all the relevant info I want.

Just sounds like you haven't bothered to do any customization of your chat interface.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • gstewart0413b14_ESO
    in my experience.. Even with an AH there will still be people posting WTS this and that. They need to make a channel just for that.

This does not work. The sellers still spam general chat because "No-one reads seller's chat". However, it would be nice if they develop a method for players to filter chat messages.
  • WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭

This does not work. The sellers still spam general chat because "No-one reads seller's chat". However, it would be nice if they develop a method for players to filter chat messages.

There is - click on the settings (ESO) symbol on your chat window and check/uncheck the things you want to see.
    You can uncheck /zone and still see /say and NPC activity, so don't worry about that.
    «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This does not work. The sellers still spam general chat because "No-one reads seller's chat".

This has been true in every MMO I've played. After a while, you just learn to tune them out.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 10, 2014 5:33PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)