Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why am I in Morrowind?

Arcadious
Arcadious
✭✭
Hi Forums,

Returning player here, I haven't played since the game's beta, and I've just got few question.

Why is it that all the characters I've made start out in Seyda Neen, Morrowind?

I recall from the beta that each race had a unique starting questline in different zones, but I've played up to level 10 on a couple characters so far, and throughout the story I learn about the Dunmer houses, the Tribunal, and their relations with the Pact. But I'm a high elf, shouldn't the dark elves be a little mad that I'm a part of the dominion? Am I even a part of the dominion? Why am I helping the Tribunal?

Is there a way I can choose which zone I'd like to start a new character in? Will I ever get a chance to go back and learn about the previous stories?

All this being said, I am enjoying myself. I'm just experiencing a bit of narrative FOMO.

Best Answers

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With the new chapters [now Morrowind is a dlc], you start in the new zone. If it were Summerset, that is where you'd have started.

You can go to the starting town for your faction, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, or Daggerfall, and you should be approached by a "hooded figure". Go to the meeting they tell you about, and the original story will start from there.
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcadious wrote: »
    JKorr wrote: »
    With the new chapters [now Morrowind is a dlc], you start in the new zone. If it were Summerset, that is where you'd have started.

You can go to the starting town for your faction, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, or Daggerfall, and you should be approached by a "hooded figure". Go to the meeting they tell you about, and the original story will start from there.

Thanks for the information. That makes sense to me.

So I assume the DLC content is faction-agnostic then? Since that would explain why I'm helping the Dunmer.

DLC and Chapter content doesn't take your faction into account. Cadwell's silver and gold, the other alliance questlines, will treat you as though you were a member of their faction.
    Answer ✓
  • Arcadious
    Arcadious
    ✭✭

So I assume the DLC content is faction-agnostic then? Since that would explain why I'm helping the Dunmer.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Your AD aligned Altmer character will actually have to kill Dominion soldiers during the quest lines in DC and EP zones.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's a bad design decision to have all characters start in the new zones. Players who have already leveled a character will be knowledgeable enough with the game to port a new character to the latest chapter zone IF THEY WISH.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    I think it's a bad design decision to have all characters start in the new zones. Players who have already leveled a character will be knowledgeable enough with the game to port a new character to the latest chapter zone IF THEY WISH.
    Agree
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Arcadious
    Arcadious
    ✭✭
    If I had the choice to choose where I could start, I wouldn't have picked Morrorwind. I would have liked to experience the story from the start, like the rest of the players, instead of doing things out of order.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. We've been asking for an option of starting in Coldharbour with the original tutorial since the 'tutorial of the month to promote the newest chapter' came to be.

As said above, experienced players can hold their nose through a new tutorial, port to their house and begin the game properly in Coldharbour but I have to believe forcing new characters into a new tutorial before experiencing the base game is dumb and confusing for new player. How hard can it be? I mean experienced players already have an option to totally skip tutorial. Why not an option to start in the original tutorial? But again, we've been saying this consistently since the first 'tutorial of the month' came out.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Arcadious
    Arcadious
    ✭✭
    ... I have to believe forcing new characters into a new tutorial before experiencing the base game is dumb and confusing for new player. How hard can it be? I mean experienced players already have an option to totally skip tutorial. Why not an option to start in the original tutorial? But again, we've been saying this consistently since the first 'tutorial of the month' came out.

As a new player, I completely agree that is it jarring and confusing.

I understand from a product perspective that they would want to show their newest and shiniest content off first, but in return we lose a lot of the story context that helps us understand the world and where we fit into it.

As an update, I'm level 13 now and I'm still enjoying the game, but despite exhausting all conversation options and reading all relevant quest books I still feel lost in the game's world as a whole.

Opening my map, I can see that I can warp to a number of places with names I don't recognize, but at no point does the game recommend I do anything outside of Morrowind, or interact with my faction, or tell me why I'm doing what I'm doing.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's becuase there is no correct way to play or order to do things in. do whatever the hell you want in whatever order you want. that's why ESO is even relevant in the mmo world, its different.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Arcadious
    Arcadious
    ✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    It's becuase there is no correct way to play or order to do things in. do whatever the hell you want in whatever order you want. that's why ESO is even relevant in the mmo world, its different.

Sure, if you've read the book before why not just open to any page? I'm glad the option is there for you.

Except not everybody's read the book.

I mean sure, I know now 20 hours in that I can warp around and an NPC will approach me to begin the original storyline, but I'm already a good chunk into Morrowind's, which would then put me in awkward situation where when I do complete the original storyline and actually make it to Morrowind, I'm picking up a story I've been months removed from.

Don't you think that's a bad design?
  • Siamara
    Siamara
    Soul Shriven
    Starting in Morrowind is terrible. I am all new to the game aswell. A friend recommended it to me and told me I would start in my own faction - but that I later would be able to play in the areas of the other factions. So I created a nice Khajiit and...

What? I'm in Morrowind? Even I knew this was an expansion and I was so confused. The storyline was nice - but didn't make much sense to me. A few days later I got to the starting place of my own faction...And now they treat me as a newcomer, even though I just saved Morrowind...
    But nice to be at the real start of the game!

I agree. Even though I have spend hours in morrowind, I have no idea how the world functions or who is against who or why or...Anything, really. I guess I will learn about that now. I would prefer to start from the start. Maybe they could introduce a buttom, where you could say in which expansion you would like to start your game? that would be nice.

The way it is now breaks up the story, so it doesn't feel connected. It ruins the flow. It is all backwards. But that said - I still enjoy the game. :)
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dazee wrote: »

Sure, if you've read the book before why not just open to any page? I'm glad the option is there for you.

Except not everybody's read the book.

I mean sure, I know now 20 hours in that I can warp around and an NPC will approach me to begin the original storyline, but I'm already a good chunk into Morrowind's, which would then put me in awkward situation where when I do complete the original storyline and actually make it to Morrowind, I'm picking up a story I've been months removed from.

Don't you think that's a bad design?

Yeah I completely agree you should have a choice. I was just pointing out, since it seemed like you wanted to do everything in a certain order, which is valid but not everyone should have to if they dont want to.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.