Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Lost on what do to with classes

Kozer
Kozer
✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I got questions on questions. I main a DK tank, and do quite well with him in pve. I am getting more into PVP and often tank with him for my guild in Cyrodiil but it can get boring. I recently hit max level with a Nightblade and got him some gear to make him a magblade. Buuuut I also just started a Templar who I know I want to make into a healer/magplar. I'd like a class that can do good damage in group pvp and am wondering if my Magblade is right for that. I see that stamblades are pretty popular, but I don't really want to just snipe people all night. That being said, would a Stamblade be better in Cyrodiil for doing damage than a magblade? I could then use my Templar to heal and do magic damage.
I apologize since this has been asked tons of times. I've been googling around for days and am just lost and confused so figured I would try to get some answers here. Thanks for your help!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades work fine in group PvP ... especially as bombers (Eye of the Storm ultimate).

Those other characters will work in a group PvP also. Though an off-heals Templar and Stamblade are better suited for smaller groups.

At some point you’ll have time to play all those. In the meantime, guild raids like having a Magblade DPS bomb ... so roll with it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am mostly a solo magblade, but my friend started a PvP guild, thus I sometimes run with them.

If there is one thing that has the most group utility, it's probably the sorc Negate. Most of our pushes happen when sorcs have their negate ready. By the same token, what we currently lack is stamina players, because those are less affected by negates. Indeed, the most effective groups possibly consist of all stamdens, running Subterranean, Dawnbreaker and Steel Tornado, with the odd stamsorc for the negates. Not that this necessarily makes for enthralling gameplay. In general our guild tries to accomodate whatever builds / classes people want to run.

Bombing is certainly one way for magblades to be useful in group play. Unfortunately it's not something I have experience with. All I know is that the timing is not easy to pull off. It always seemed very situational to me.

I play a cloaking melee magblade ganker. In large groups that makes me the guy who places forward camps, roots out enemy camps and generally scouts and reports on enemy movements. For example, while my guild mates work on the inner door of a keep, I might be outside to warn of the enemy zerg approaching. In terms of combat, I look for players who are slightly offside from their group, who I might gank quickly.

Stamblades currently have stronger damage and are typically the stronger gankers. In order to use a stamblade melee playstyle on a magblade, you IMO need Caluurion + Zaan, which is what I do. The benefit of doing that is the Concealed speed buff. Stack that with other speed buffs (Steed, Swift) and a magblade can be very fast in cloak, unlike a stamblade, albeit very squishy when caught. It's mostly a quality of life thing. A perma-cloaking magblade has the freedom to run across resources and around keeps infested with enemy NPCs, and do this at speed without being detected. Running 2H and Forward Momentum synergises with Cloak and gets you back up to speed when caught by, say, a DKs talons.

I can't really comment on a more traditional ranged magblade as I've been running melee magblade for ages. I love this playstyle. It gives you the freedom to engage and disengage as you please. Whenever I play stamblade, I like the dodge rolls and speed outside of cloak, but their movement feels much more constrained while in cloak or crouch and on the approach to an enemy.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)