Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What do I need to have same content access as my friend?

Esoriel
Esoriel
✭✭
I bought the base game when it came out 5 years ago and only played a little while. I recently decided to come back to ESO and play with my friend. I only have the base game but my friend has Summerset and a paid subscription. We're starting to come across content I can't access because of this. I was thinking about buying Elswyr when it comes out but I'm not sure if that would give me access to the content before it also. What are my options here? I can buy Summerset but would that be enough to give me access to all of the content my friend has? I can only fit so much into my budget right now. The paid subscription looks like a good deal, but I would also need Summerset to have access to what my friend does too right?
  • Sanctuary_Reaper
    Sanctuary_Reaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure when Elsweyer is released, Summerset drops to DLC from Chapter, to access DLC you either need to subscribe which you get other benefits for, or buy crowns and buy the DLC outright.

Sub info here https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/guides/esoplusguide
  • Esoriel
    Esoriel
    ✭✭
    Im sure when Elsweyer is released, Summerset drops to DLC from Chapter, to access DLC you either need to subscribe which you get other benefits for, or buy crowns and buy the DLC outright.

Sub info here https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/guides/esoplusguide

So I should actually buy Summerset now before it drops to DLC from chapter?
  • Sanctuary_Reaper
    Sanctuary_Reaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats up to you to be honest, The next chapter is not that far away, thats a call you need to make, i suppose the question is do you need it that bad or can you wait for a few weeks.?

• Esoriel
    Esoriel
    ✭✭
    Well we're just going through the quests as we find them and trying to do everything. If all I need to access the Summerset content is the Summerset game then shouldn't I go ahead and buy that now since we just started? I'm sure we'll be leveled up enough to experience Elswyr when it releases, or am I not understanding how ESO works?
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Esoriel wrote: »
    Well we're just going through the quests as we find them and trying to do everything. If all I need to access the Summerset content is the Summerset game then shouldn't I go ahead and buy that now since we just started? I'm sure we'll be leveled up enough to experience Elswyr when it releases, or am I not understanding how ESO works?

All content in eso lateral meaning there is no designated order to do any of the questing content. With that out of the way, if you absolutely desire questing in summerset with your friend, you will have to own the summerset chapter. However understand a few points first....

1) eso content is devided into categories. Chapters are annual releases of big zones with a big main queatline. Morrowind, summerset and elsweyr are chapters. Dungeon dlc are just 2 new dungeons added with new sets. And then you have the smaller zone dlc content such as dark brotherhoods gold coast zone, theives guilds hews bane zone, clockwork city and murkmire, all of which have quests, dailies and bosses to do.

2) if you subscribe to eso plus, all the dlc content is automatically unlocked while you are subbed. This excludes chapters. However.....

3) when new chapters are released, the previous one is moved into the "DLC" catagory of content and thus becomes accessible with eso plus without any additional purchase. When summerset released, morrowind was free for eso plus members or sold as dlc. When elsweyr was dated for release, morrowind was bundled into the base game purchase and when elsweyr comes out, summerset as well will be moved to dlc content.

So understanding that, i would suggest just subscribing to eso plus and waiting for summerset to be added to dlc instead of buying it now. Subscribing now will give you morrowind and all other things your friend has access to besides summerset, the later of which you can enjoy in less than a months time for "free".
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What "Summerset content" are you encountering?

I don't have Summerset, and can still harvest jewelry materials, but I can't use a jewel crafting station. That's not an issue, because nothing in the game requires me to do so. Similarly, I have treasure maps for Summerset I can't use (yet) but there's no time limit on my waiting to use them. You can't travel to Summerset or Artaeum, but no quests in the rest of the game will try to send you there, with a single exception to connect the chapter into the game, which you'll ignore.