The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Akaviri in Rimmen

mattyswaggy
mattyswaggy
Soul Shriven
Guys I am scared... I know it is early on and the Elsweyr chapter has just been announced but we have not heard anything about the Akavari in Rimmen. I mean we know Khajiit and Imperials apparently live there but, what about the Tsaechi and their temple? This is one of the most important lore factors for the city in the second era and I won't know how to feel except disappointment if they're left out. Thoughts?
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all left for a family trip back to their homeland so they are not there :)
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    They all left for a family trip back to their homeland so they are not there :)

That's what dirty elfs thinking.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they'll be there. Getting to see an Akaviri race sounds like something they'd want to keep hidden closer to release. They tried to do that with the Sea Sload for the Summerset chapter but it got datamined pretty early. Maybe Tsaesci will too when either the PTS for the Q1 Dungeons comes up, or when it goes to live, unless they end up locking up the goodies better than last year. :P
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Tsaesci have all gone on a religious retreat and the doors of the temple will be locked as tight as Windhelm's palace gates.

Seriously, if there were any actual Tsaesci there they would have been hyped and monetised along with the other Chapter features. They would have been in datamine.

PC EU
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heres to hoping ZOS hasnt pulled another Imga on us. I know it would probably spur on more "We're going to Akavir" type of posts and claims. But seeing something that unique in the game would be awesome. And its not as if ZOS isnt in the business of fleshing out the lore. Plenty left of Akavir to remain a mystery even after we see a few Akaviri.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tsaesci have all gone on a religious retreat and the doors of the temple will be locked as tight as Windhelm's palace gates.

Haha so much disappointing an idea... :')

Well, the chapter takes place in Rimmen. About Dragons.

I can't see how they could possibly not show up some real akaviri...
    Guys I am scared... I know it is early on and the Elsweyr chapter has just been announced but we have not heard anything about the Akavari in Rimmen. I mean we know Khajiit and Imperials apparently live there but, what about the Tsaechi and their temple? This is one of the most important lore factors for the city in the second era and I won't know how to feel except disappointment if they're left out. Thoughts?

The Tsaesci are already stated in ESO lore to dwell in Rimmen :smile:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Motif_53:_Tsaesci

"by Kiasa-Veda, the Chronicler of Blades, Dir-Tonenaka"

"still pristine examples of the Serpentine Ways can be seen in the Tonenaka at Rimmen, where I am honored to labor as Chronicler."

753675a947f1b31d5bfd9f6d5c8c20f9.jpg

Notice the akaviri castle in the background: the tsaesci architecture already exists in game.

I'm wondering if the redguard-looking lady on the left is meant to be a Tsaesci.

Like the NPC Otho Numida we met in the "White Gold Tower" dungeon - sometimes classified as a Redguard, sometimes as an Imperial - He wears a full akaviri armor and a very strang name (quite japanese-sounding) so I'm wondering if he could be an offspring of the akaviri already right under our noses X)
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on January 19, 2019 12:17AM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling.it now: the dragons killed all the tsaesci in Rimmen before the player arrives. It's in ruins and we never see a single one of them.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • McMasterx
    McMasterx
    ✭✭✭

Haha so much disappointing an idea... :')

Well, the chapter takes place in Rimmen. About Dragons.

I can't see how they could possibly not show up some real akaviri...

The Tsaesci are already stated in ESO lore to dwell in Rimmen :smile:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Motif_53:_Tsaesci

"by Kiasa-Veda, the Chronicler of Blades, Dir-Tonenaka"

"still pristine examples of the Serpentine Ways can be seen in the Tonenaka at Rimmen, where I am honored to labor as Chronicler."

753675a947f1b31d5bfd9f6d5c8c20f9.jpg

Notice the akaviri castle in the background: the tsaesci architecture already exists in game.

I'm wondering if the redguard-looking lady on the left is meant to be a Tsaesci.

Like the NPC Otho Numida we met in the "White Gold Tower" dungeon - sometimes classified as a Redguard, sometimes as an Imperial - He wears a full akaviri armor and a very strang name (quite japanese-sounding) so I'm wondering if he could be an offspring of the akaviri already right under our noses X)

Would like to point out that "akaviri castle in the background" is Cloud Ruler Temple. Pre-ascension to the sky apparently (Pre-war maybe)
    Pc/Na
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Calling.it now: the dragons killed all the tsaesci in Rimmen before the player arrives. It's in ruins and we never see a single one of them.

I'm thinking they're just going to apply the Blackrose skin to some humans and call it a day. :\ I'd rather the Tsaesci were all dead than they get blandified like Summerset was.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking they're just going to apply the Blackrose skin to some humans and call it a day. :\ I'd rather the Tsaesci were all dead than they get blandified like Summerset was.

That would be utterly tragic. Even I'm not cynical enough to think that they'd ruin the mystery of the tsaesci like that.

But then again I didnt think they'd drop the ball on Summerset so hard.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be utterly tragic. Even I'm not cynical enough to think that they'd ruin the mystery of the tsaesci like that.

Summerset was fine tho.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I googled Rimmen to read up on the lore...what a mistake...
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *snerk*
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Darios_Heliodromos
    Darios_Heliodromos
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that we will at least get to meet Kiasa-Veda, quietly sitting in the Tonenaka writing the stories of the Tsaesci people.

My two main interests in Elsweyr are to encounter Ohmes khajiits as well as Akaviri. Have yet to hear anything about either.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that we will at least get to meet Kiasa-Veda, quietly sitting in the Tonenaka writing the stories of the Tsaesci people.

My two main interests in Elsweyr are to encounter Ohmes khajiits as well as Akaviri. Have yet to hear anything about either.

Yes! it’s crazy how since TES Arena and Daggerfall both the Ohmes and Ohmes-rhat have been left out of other TES games and now its all Cathay and Suthay all over the place. As for the Alaviri i bet like everyone else here that they will use some silly excuse like they did with the Igma and just a some ruin on Elseweyr without any living Akaviri.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »

Yes! it’s crazy how since TES Arena and Daggerfall both the Ohmes and Ohmes-rhat have been left out of other TES games and now its all Cathay and Suthay all over the place. As for the Alaviri i bet like everyone else here that they will use some silly excuse like they did with the Igma and just a some ruin on Elseweyr without any living Akaviri.

Mainly because it was a soft retcon of what the Khajiit race was intended to be (worldbuilding-wise), from a mere oriental-themed human race to the catfolk we know today.
    But if we believe what was said on the dev interview, they may show them back and smooth all this at once... Let's hope for you, furstocks fans ^^
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always imagined the Tsaesci like asians with some snake features.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »

Summerset was fine tho.

If generic disneyland is fine for you I gusss. I was looking forward to something a bit more creative and in line with the old lore.

If Tsaesci are revealed to just be regular humans, I wonder if people will think that's "fine" too.

• Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

If generic disneyland is fine for you I gusss. I was looking forward to something a bit more creative and in line with the old lore.

If Tsaesci are revealed to just be regular humans, I wonder if people will think that's "fine" too.

I will be a bit disappointed, but will think it's "fine" since we've already seen:

200px-OB-npc-Akaviri_Commander_Mishaxhi.jpg

Although I am hoping that they actually are human upper bodies and serpentine lower bodies, with an explanation for what we've seen in Pale Pass (in Oblivion).
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »

Summerset was fine tho.

I will be a bit disappointed, but will think it's "fine" since we've already seen:

Although I am hoping that they actually are human upper bodies and serpentine lower bodies, with an explanation for what we've seen in Pale Pass (in Oblivion).

Oblivion did that because they didnt want to make a new race for one quest. If we take their appearance as canon, then that would mean tsaesci are literally just imperials.

My theory has always been that tsaesci are literal snakes that act as parasites to humans, boring into their skulls and taking over their brains. It explains...pretty much everything about them. They "ate" the humans and became them. Their parasitic nature could be described as "vampiric". The invaders at pale pass were literally imperials that had been taken over by tsaesci "soldiers".

But I doubt ZOS will do anything like that. Easier just to make them Japanese humans.

• Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/56075

We'll face akaviri spirits in Elsweyr so there's still a chance for the Tsaesci...
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ogou wrote: »
    According to: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/56075

We'll face akaviri spirits in Elsweyr so there's still a chance for the Tsaesci...

So...this assumes everyone in Rimmen just conveniently died?

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

Oblivion did that because they didnt want to make a new race for one quest. If we take their appearance as canon, then that would mean tsaesci are literally just imperials.

My theory has always been that tsaesci are literal snakes that act as parasites to humans, boring into their skulls and taking over their brains. It explains...pretty much everything about them. They "ate" the humans and became them. Their parasitic nature could be described as "vampiric". The invaders at pale pass were literally imperials that had been taken over by tsaesci "soldiers".

But I doubt ZOS will do anything like that. Easier just to make them Japanese humans.

They didnt seem to have a problem making a unique Dwemer for a quest or a Falmer. This argument falls flat when you realize that they do this with every game.

Asian humans wouldnt be a bad thing. They have been hinting at an asian culture for ages. And the lore leaves it quite open for the Tsaeci to be more than just some Akaviri version of Lamia.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on April 10, 2019 3:47AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

''Generic disneyland'' is exactly what Summerset was meant to look like if you paid attention. Even in the Pocket Guide we see an image of stone architecture, and the Imperial arts are also inspired by the Altmer. Would you just look at Imperial Cathedrals, you mean to tell me they don't look alike?

There is no ''old lore'' which is broken by Summerset.

''Less fantastic accounts come from the Imperial emissaries of the Reman Dynasty, which describe the city as straight and glimmering, "a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall."''

Straight and glimmering? Impossibly high towers? I mean, sure, they didn't do the whole lighting festival, but the far more realistic account is not only supported by ESO, but even in the lore we got in Morrowind. The ''insect wing'' account is nonsense, anyone should've been able to see that from the start.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

You literally just described the Goa'uld from Stargate.

I'm on the boat for Serpentine Humanoids ala the Lamia.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A this stage, with Elsweyr PTS due in a few days time, I'm expecting to see Men dressed in Tsaesci Motif and the ghosts of Men dressed in Tsaesci Motif, accompanied by giant snakes and lamia. If the Akavirii of Elsweyr were going to take any other form I strongly suspect we would have been shown them in one of the trailers along with the Dragons and the different Khajiit furstocks. I'm setting my expectations to the lowest level possible, and preparing for disappointment.
    PC EU
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

202523002.gif

Nice theory anyway, so they could still use asian human models while explaining all the snake-vampire stuff in lore...
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

They didnt seem to have a problem making a unique Dwemer for a quest or a Falmer. This argument falls flat when you realize that they do this with every game.

Asian humans wouldnt be a bad thing. They have been hinting at an asian culture for ages. And the lore leaves it quite open for the Tsaeci to be more than just some Akaviri version of Lamia.

Point is it's yet another example of watering down and simplifying the lore for the sake of simplicity or in order to make the world more "grounded". It's the exact opposite of why I like the Elder Scrolls. I'm just tired of using the unreliable narrator trope as a crutch, something to justify a lack of creativity.

And again, if we take Oblivion literally then you're literally saying that Tsaesci are Imperials, which makes no sense. They didnt look "asian" at all.

And you're limiting yourself as well by assuming the tsaesci would just be a copy-paste of lamia. There's tons of ways to interpret what the tsaesci are, and it seems like as usual Zenimax may just go with whatever makes the world more "realistic".

Summerset was fine tho.

202523002.gif

Nice theory anyway, so they could still use asian human models while explaining all the snake-vampire stuff in lore...

Exactly. This would at least be an interesting way to handle it all. But unfortunately, I'm sure it's just easier to say "they're just Japanese. Everything else was a transcription error". I want to stay optimistic but I've been burned so many times before. Just have to accept that The Elder Scrolls is hell-bent on becoming familiar and generic fantasy.

Summerset was fine tho.

''Generic disneyland'' is exactly what Summerset was meant to look like if you paid attention. Even in the Pocket Guide we see an image of stone architecture, and the Imperial arts are also inspired by the Altmer. Would you just look at Imperial Cathedrals, you mean to tell me they don't look alike?

There is no ''old lore'' which is broken by Summerset.

''Less fantastic accounts come from the Imperial emissaries of the Reman Dynasty, which describe the city as straight and glimmering, "a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall."''

Straight and glimmering? Impossibly high towers? I mean, sure, they didn't do the whole lighting festival, but the far more realistic account is not only supported by ESO, but even in the lore we got in Morrowind. The ''insect wing'' account is nonsense, anyone should've been able to see that from the start.

Read my signature. Also, the idea of an Imperial describing Summerset as incredibly beautiful and advanced makes no sense unless it had some truth to it. Imperials hated the Altmer in the second era. If anything, they'd lie and say it looks plain and bland.

And insect wings didnt have to be taken literally. It could have been describing stained glass, or resin, or...really anything beyond what we got. And even if it was literal, even if the Altmer did use giant, petrified dragonfly wings as windows...how is that any more insane than giant mushroom towers?

But none of this matters. There are multiple ways to interpret the Elder Scrolls lore. No one is denying that. Zenimax just took the most mundane and generic interpretation possible in my opinion. There is nothing unique or creative about the landscape or visuals of Summerset. It's just generic fantasy drivel.

Bringing it back on topic, making Tsaesci into humans would be yet another example of interpreting things in the most mundane and generic way possible, and completely invalidate the theme of Akavir as the land of beastmen.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 15, 2019 7:40PM

• mnemoniclights
    mnemoniclights
    ✭✭✭

Summerset was fine tho.

Just going to point out that the Falmer is just a snow white retexture of an Altmer and Yagrum was a important quest NPC like Almalexia and Vivec who also gone their own unique look in the the third game. The difference between all these characters is that they're main quest important, unlike Pale Pass quest in Oblivion which was just a optional side quest.
    Edited by mnemoniclights on April 15, 2019 7:56PM
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think y'all mixing the Tsaesci with the Akaviri...

Afaik, the Akaviri are the race of men from Akavir, which were "eaten alive" by the Tsaesci, whatever that means...

The one we see in Oblivion is probably an Akaviri enslaved/allied/enthralled by the Tsaesci to fight on the Pale Pass or something. As well, the ones on that big ass wall from Skyrim might be these men from Akavir.

I'm not a lorebeard or whatever and this may just be my head canon, but it's the way I understand it is... Also I think it doesn't exist any reference to the Tsaesci as humans on in-game books (correct me if wrong)...