Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skill Tree Levelling Question

Quinz128ub17_ESO
So! I made a Sorcerer and want to develop it to be a self-buffing weapon-user. I want to get the Summon Armor and the Surge ASAP, but, phew the skill tree level requirement (Both 30, I think). I was trying to think on how to level quicker for the skill trees and checked the bar mentioning 'slotting more skills makes the tree level faster'.

Is this true? And by what percentage? Is it like 100% increase, or significantly less? Anyone know? I'll toss a few extra skill points in the tree if it means I can level the skill tree faster to get the skills I want..
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing that trick does not increase the amount of xp you get with a skill... it allows you to get xp with the skill.

Some of this is outlined in the guide here on the boards, that is quite useful.

Good luck with ya :smile: And probably the soonest you will see a level 30 class skill is probably around 25 or 26. Just a guess though.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide
  • Quinz128ub17_ESO
    Well, then why does it say 'Equipping additional [class/weapon] skills to increase this skill's advancement'?

Or is that there to comment on that PARTICULAR skill (AKA morphing the skill)?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's just for that particular skill. My 14 nightshade for example has 21 in shadow (with 2 shadow skills slotted) and 20 in assassination (with 1 skill slotted), yet 24 in bow (with just 1 slotted). Usage probably contributes more than the amount of skills on your bar.
  • VinylScratch
    You have two things you level. One is the SKILL TREE itself, the second part is the actual skills.

The skill tree level allows you to unlock more skills and is leveled by having abilities on your bar, regardless of use. For example, I was leveling my Destruction Staff skill tree and I put 1-2 spells on my bar and just killed things. My Destruction Staff line is now at like 41. This process is sped up depending on how much skills of this tree you have on the bar. In example, if you use three destruction staff skills on your bar, you'll outlevel someone who only slots one.

As for abilities, they level up at a certain rate so long as they are on your bar while you earn experience overall, there is no way to speed this process up.
    Edited by VinylScratch on April 10, 2014 11:35AM
  • Motsah
    Motsah
    @Shimond Be careful with this reflexion. You may have read some books that gave you a level in those trees. Though I also have a better level in shadow with 2 skill slotted than in assassination with only 1 skill slotted.

I also noticed two things:
    I used to have a skill that had been never slotted and it stayed a level 1 with no xp.
    One of my slotted skill got a level during a fight where I didn't used it

I don't really know what we can conclude with that but if it helps someone ;)
    Motsah
    Khajiit NightBlade VR1
    Ebonheart Pact - EU Megaserver
    French - La confrérie de Rouge Bois

"Errorem Humanum Est !"
    "C'est en faisant qu'on devient dindon !"
  • Quinz128ub17_ESO
    Okay, VinylScratch was mentioning what I wanted to know, if slotted skills in the bar make the tree go up faster. As mentioned, I don't mind 'wasting' a few skill points (Or later money to reallocate skills) to get the ones I want more quickly. So, if I can get, at least, three people to agree, It would be nice It seems as if Motsah has had a similar experience (Slotted skills = faster leveling of relevant skill tree) so one more and I'l be all 'yep getting every skill of the tree until I get the one I want.' XD
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motsah wrote: »
    I also noticed two things:
    I used to have a skill that had been never slotted and it stayed a level 1 with no xp.
    One of my slotted skill got a level during a fight where I didn't used it

I don't really know what we can conclude with that but if it helps someone ;)

While usage does increase the speed of a skill leveling, currently slotted skills do level up by general XP gain while they are slotted. This is why the fastest way to level up new weapon skills from 0 without having to actually fight with crappy options is to swap those skills in right before turning in a quest.