Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

AOE trumps all?

mashugana
mashugana
I am new and just got my first character to lv 50 (Mag Sorc PVE only). I am working my way up the CP tree. It seems like AOEs are everything in ESO PVE. Is that true? Is the ideal PVE lv 50+ build one that relies on AOE for clearing dungeons, burning down bosses, and general farming? Or am I missing good single target spells that I just do not know how to use?

I'm trying to develop an end game PVE build that can do well (not perfect but well) in dungeons and can tear through farming and even soloing some harder content. I think the mix of 3 AOE and 2 defensive abilities is the mix. But I have no idea what I am doing :)

Thanks.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need both types of skills TBH. Now, more AoE do Damage over Time so are applied early in the rotation with single damage skills weaved in.

Me, I run one bar as AOE and one bar as Single Target. Others mix them up more.

Pick a way that works for you.

However you can't go wrong with popping a Critical Surge, laying down a Wall of Elements, placing a Lightening Flood and throwing down a Force Pulse or Crystal Shards or two until you need to start the rotation over.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends on what you are exactly doing. For most content, AOE fights take up a lot of time, but bossfights are more difficult I would say. For bossfights you want to focus on single target usually, because the fast the boss is dead the easier the fight is, but you might need more cleave depending on how strong your group is. For endgame PvE you normally want to have multiple setups for different situations. Inside single target builds you still have a lot of AOE skills, yes. That basically comes down to a lot of strong DOTs simply being AOE, and stacking DOTs is the most effective DPS source.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thank you! That is amazingly helpful. I did not know Critical Surge was so good as to include it in my standard rotation - awesome. I think I know what to do now except for how to keep my health up when things get scary. Do you guys use shields or heals to stay alive? Any favorites?
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine not having crit surge on mine. At least soloing dungeons and world bosses. 20% dps with strong HA heals. In group content you can replace with potions

Hardened ward is good to have. For heals I use flappywing pet.
    Edited by emily3989 on April 1, 2019 7:03PM
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thank you. I do not know what HA is but I'll find it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Crit Surge up, Health is the least of your worries. Assuming of course you take steps to mitigate damage like blocking, dodge rolling, staying out red etc. Most people use a Shield like Hardened Ward, but at 6 seconds, it needs to be part of your rotation.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Most people use a Shield like Hardened Ward, but at 6 seconds, it needs to be part of your rotation.
    Which is why i switched to Infernal Guardian for the monster set on my (solo) MagSorc.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Infernal+Guardian+Set

Procs off shield casts and works well for both trash mobs and single target ...
    shades.gif
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its content-based. For instance, you want more AOE attacks when there are going to be more mobs or in a place like BRP, where things come at you from all angles. You want more direct damage or DOT attacks on content where you are going to be stacked or boss-fighting, such as trials like AS, AA, or HRC. AOE skill, I believe, are typically more costly, so you don't want to run all AOE or you will deplete your resources very quickly.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are single target spells that you want to include in your rotation. But every dps rotation usually includes multiple aoe spells even on single target fights. For stamina dps this will be endless hail and caltrops. For magicka users this will be wall of elements and a class ability like the lightning aoe for sorcs or the ice aoe for wardens.

This is the first game I've played where aoe spells are powerful enough to use in a single target rotation and it feels really wierd, but it is what it is.
  • GoldenLight
    GoldenLight
    ✭✭✭
    AOE spells do make a big difference for clearing dungeons but I still run at least one single target spell on my sorcerer. I would suggest a little balance with character builds between AOE and Single Target skills.

I would also suggest building more toward your style of play as it will make things more fun, IMO! Found things more frustrating trying to play someone else's builds rather than my own.
    "Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone!"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If you have Crit Surge up, Health is the least of your worries. Assuming of course you take steps to mitigate damage like blocking, dodge rolling, staying out red etc. Most people use a Shield like Hardened Ward, but at 6 seconds, it needs to be part of your rotation.

I would suggest the shield should be used as needed vs rotation. Granted, a player less familiar with ESO mechanics and specific fights might want it as part of their rotation, but as they gain more experience it should be less often.

As for OP, I am not sure what you are wanting in a build. What you consider end game or more specifically, what you -plan to focus on, makes a big difference. Eventually you might want to graduate from dungeons and end up going for vet trials. A more refined build would be helpful there.

Unfortunately these forums are not well organized for reviewing builds and Tamriel Foundry website seems to be much quieter than it was even a couple years ago but some may still be updating their builds there. I tend to suggest newer players visit Alcast's site as his builds have some flex for raiders and non raiders alike as well as newer players. Granted, it is not the bible, but can give you some ideas.
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Stx wrote: »
    There are single target spells that you want to include in your rotation. But every dps rotation usually includes multiple aoe spells even on single target fights. For stamina dps this will be endless hail and caltrops. For magicka users this will be wall of elements and a class ability like the lightning aoe for sorcs or the ice aoe for wardens.

This is the first game I've played where aoe spells are powerful enough to use in a single target rotation and it feels really wierd, but it is what it is.

Holy cow this makes me feel better. I thought I was playing wrong but my destro staff and sorc AOEs just melt things. I've seen no need for a heavy single target spell. I need to build a bar like that for boss fights though - thank you.
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thanks all :)