The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Smaller updates equal happier players

robertd
robertd
Soul Shriven
The next time you do an update zos, take account that not everyone in the U.S.A. or the world for that matter has google internet. Some of us still have to play this game and update it via a internet service that doesn't give us 1 gig of download speed. We are lucky to get a few megs of download speed. Some of the stuff that is update 21 was easily minor update things that should have been spread out along at least a two to three week spread. One update a week for three weeks is a whole lot easier on people versus 49 gigs all at once. I am deployed with the U.S. military and am forced to us a wifi puck to game and do updates. These types of updates that easily could have done without some of the things add into it forces me to be without any release or entertainment for several days. I like the game and I like a lot of the things that are fixed or add but a lot of this update should have been drawn out over smaller updates.
  • nordic_two
    robertd wrote: »
    The next time you do an update zos, take account that not everyone in the U.S.A. or the world for that matter has google internet. Some of us still have to play this game and update it via a internet service that doesn't give us 1 gig of download speed. We are lucky to get a few megs of download speed. Some of the stuff that is update 21 was easily minor update things that should have been spread out along at least a two to three week spread. One update a week for three weeks is a whole lot easier on people versus 49 gigs all at once. I am deployed with the U.S. military and am forced to us a wifi puck to game and do updates. These types of updates that easily could have done without some of the things add into it forces me to be without any release or entertainment for several days. I like the game and I like a lot of the things that are fixed or add but a lot of this update should have been drawn out over smaller updates.

Update 21 itself isnt very large, but consoles dont have the benefit of the smaller files to patch that PC has. Unless something changes with how consoles work, the patches will often be large.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's because of how the consoles handle updates. Their unusual lack of delta patching. If the updates were more frequent, they'd still be huge and now your problem would be 2-3x bigger.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Microsoft who you need to blame really. Compare the size of this patch on Xbox One to PS4. Its 49GB on Xbox One, and 23GB on PS4. And only 3GB on PC. Its due to a limitation in the way files can be updated on the xbox one. From what I understand the way the game is patched on PC and why PC has MUCH smaller pach file sizes is because when say a ~20GB .PAK file needs some of its contents updated/changed the patcher can just download whats new/changed and apply it to the .PAK file. With Xbox One the only way to do the same thing is to replace the entire PAK file with a new one that has the changes so that means all 20GB have to be downloaded. You can see how that would add up quick with a content update that touches tons of game files.
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on April 1, 2019 1:11AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Katastrophia
    Katastrophia
    ✭✭
    I agree. Every dlc update takes me anywhere from 17-24 hours to download. I dread updates. I lose a day of play,daily rewards and if there’s an event going on I lose that too