The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

is this game worth playing again?

Ozazz
Ozazz
✭✭✭✭
has the pvp combat gotten any better, has heavy armor gotten addressed yet, is 1vx viable, or have they continued nurfing classes for no rhyme or reason?
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Games worth playing for non PVP reasons but PVP is still broken.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the game is still able to operate there is a great number of people who has always thought it was worth playing.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    well the only way i would ever consider playing this game again is for pvp reasons and to 1vx people :P
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like it died long ago, and my class got absolutely destroyed after already being the most persecuted class in game, so that's why it was enough for me. im kinda hoping the necromancer is stupid op to bring this game back alive in pvp terms
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozazz wrote: »
    well the only way i would ever consider playing this game again is for pvp reasons and to 1vx people :P

If you are a serious PvP player I would think you would want to play in a game actually designed for PvP vs a PvE game that has some PvP in it. idk, just seems to makes sense.

Regardless, the forums cannot make the decision for you. It is only you that can decide for yourself.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    pvp was half of this games early population in the origins and first years. Then they catered to pve for the longevity of the game, their always trying to revitalize the game with some new garbage dlc in hopes of people thinking the games pvp has gotten better etc
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    we need a vanilla campaign to come out for eso that would revitalize this game 100%
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pvp was half of this games early population in the origins and first years. Then they catered to pve for the longevity of the game, their always trying to revitalize the game with some new garbage dlc in hopes of people thinking the games pvp has gotten better etc

It was not. First year of this game the PvE zones were full. Heck, early months of this game we stepped over each other doing quests and delves. PvP had two campaigns they would fill each night. The other campaigns ended up as buff campaigns since PvP buffs carried over into PvE.

Yes they lowered the pop caps a couple times since launch, but PvP was never half of this game.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    also that is sad you say that because eso's pvp combat system was truly amazing that felt revolutionary in the mmo genre, dodge rolls animation cancels for each classes rotation, destro weaving etc, the skill gap mastery in this game is incomparable to that of any other in its genre, yet the most fun
    Edited by Ozazz on March 30, 2019 6:34PM
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    you forget the campaigns were all full my man? thats why pve zones where full lol
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you forget the campaigns were all full my man? thats why pve zones where full lol

They were not.

We could continue this pointless argument all day long but neither of us can really provide anything to back up our words so they are just empty bantering.

If you really wanted to know if you would like PvP in todays game then you would find out for yourself instead of having the forums make your decisions for you.

However, as I stated before, if you were truly interested in serious PvP then you would seek out a game designed for PvP. MMORPGs that are PvE based like this has been since launch (15 large PvE zones to one PvP and most added content PvE related) do not offer the challenge most hard core PvP players seek.
  • grizzly375
    grizzly375
    ✭✭✭
    I don't PVP much - don't care for a lot of the BS that goes on.

I do PVE quite a bit as I have "alt-itis" and like to swap back and forth to keep things fresh.

Game performance is $h1+, IMHO, FPS is low, lag is HUGE, if you're at a crowded spot with a lot of large AOE effects going on, you might just freeze up (I do, a lot).

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, now they're nerfing skill lines on top of classes coming soon. Steel tornado losing execute, snipe losing major defile for minor while necromancer gets 5 secs major defile, gets major vulnerability... P2w so they had to nerf the entire game apparently. This is appalling, unbelievable.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best mmo there is. Some challenges with design though.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

If you are a serious PvP player I would think you would want to play in a game actually designed for PvP vs a PvE game that has some PvP in it. idk, just seems to makes sense.

Regardless, the forums cannot make the decision for you. It is only you that can decide for yourself.

This game was intionaly focused around PvP at launch but they change one of the head people and servers got bad they stoped the PvP as main gameplay if I remember alot of the people who helped make this game at the beginning help with DAOC
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »

This game was intionaly focused around PvP at launch but they change one of the head people and servers got bad they stoped the PvP as main gameplay if I remember alot of the people who helped make this game at the beginning help with DAOC

It was never PvP focused. Not before launch, not at launch or anytime since. Yes, Cyrodiil gained many inspirations from DAOC. That is obvious from who leads the game, but in no way did or does that make ESO PvP focused. If it was PvP focused, which few MMORPGs do really well with that focus, we would have had open world PvP, not one single solitary zone out of 15 (16 if you count a month after launch). The numbers just don't add up to what you are suggesting.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was never PvP focused. Not before launch, not at launch or anytime since. Yes, Cyrodiil gained many inspirations from DAOC. That is obvious from who leads the game, but in no way did or does that make ESO PvP focused. If it was PvP focused, which few MMORPGs do really well with that focus, we would have had open world PvP, not one single solitary zone out of 15 (16 if you count a month after launch). The numbers just don't add up to what you are suggesting.

Go back and look at all the old ads basically all PvP
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go back and look at all the old ads basically all PvP

I recall the old adds, but a logical person would look at the design of the game and come to the conclusion that this is a PvE focused MMORPG with PvP. Also, few major MMORPG titles have succeeded financially with PvP their main focus.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    Games worth playing for non PVP reasons but PVP is still broken.

This is accurate. There are alot of good things about this game but endgame has issues and pvp balance and the current meta is a big issue. At least for me.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "is this game worth playing again?"
    That's like asking is sex any good the second time around.....of course it is!!!! ;)
    Edited by Joxer61 on March 31, 2019 5:00AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It s slightly better than a patch ago but that is all

No big improvement for pvp yet
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    "is this game worth playing again?"
    That's like asking is sex any good the second time around.....of course it is!!!! ;)

I wouldnt go that far...............
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has its faults but even so, I have never once it 3 years regretted my purchase. It was more then I expected and that only grew with time.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, now they're nerfing skill lines on top of classes coming soon. Steel tornado losing execute, snipe losing major defile for minor while necromancer gets 5 secs major defile, gets major vulnerability... P2w so they had to nerf the entire game apparently. This is appalling, unbelievable.

Source?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    It has its faults but even so, I have never once it 3 years regretted my purchase. It was more then I expected and that only grew with time.

PVE is okay if you re into it

PVP wise the game is not ok though

I still have hopes for elseweyr allthough the more i read about it the more i worry

I had hopes in rob brian and gilliam

The reps seemed hyped. All signals were good.

Now that i read the shared information i feel it is more of the same and the distance between previously quoted people and the pvp base is growing bigger

Time will tell, hope it proves me wrong
    Edited by Morgul667 on March 31, 2019 6:11AM
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    To be perfectly honest I just don't understand why people play MMORPG's that JUST want to PvP.

There are plenty of Fantasy based PvP focused games out there.

Why complain when one is an online version of a huge fantasy world setting (The Elder Scrolls setting) that has thrown some PvP into the mix? The vast majority of the game world is PvE, so by design the game is more PvE centric.

For me I Adventure (PvE) around a fun fantasy setting (TES) and sometimes hop into BG's or Cyrodil to have a go at some other players. If I really want to have a serious go at other players I pick another game(s) that are designed for the activity.

But to answer the OP's question in the title, Yes it is worth playing again. In fact I have done just that. I started playing day one of live release. Leveled through, PvP'd etc then stopped playing. I came back about a year ago and I am still very much enjoying it today.
    However I think the OP may not be so inclined.
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    has the pvp combat gotten any better, has heavy armor gotten addressed yet, is 1vx viable, or have they continued nurfing classes for no rhyme or reason?

what class do u play?

there's always a few 1vX people in Cyrodiil all the time (mostly cheesy tank build), but judging from the thread, I'm guessing you're a DragonKnight that can 1v50 back in the days with ridicolous DPS, extreme mobility, and best-in-game CC?

yeah those days are gone, my friend.

DK (and StamDK especially) are at the bottom of the food chain.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they just need to fix the lag or add a CP BG option. till then the game will suffer for cyro and those players will have no where to go when they want to go to another option.

separate IC was a step in the right direction however. That will be my spillover location during huge lag.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc tears
  • Myrkgrav
    Myrkgrav
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go play Apex with everyone else if you wanna PvP. :) I'm mostly joking but FR this is not the game I'd play in any stretch of the imagination if PvP was my focus lol. I think the BGs are fun but man... it's not that engaging. This is a PvE series, so that's where it shines IMO.
    Morty | ♂ | @morti_macabre | PC NA | EST
    Member of Knights of the Sanguine, Sheogorath's Mortals & Sword Coast Traders