Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would it be bad if they sold skill points in the crown store?

• Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    Wise_Will wrote: »
    Yes, i wouldn't be opposed to being able to buy a maximum of 5 Skill points, for something like 1mill AP Each or something like that, but defiantly not on the crown store, and defiantly not unlimited amounts.

While I do agree on being able to buy them with in game currency I posted this in the crown store section cos I highly doubt they would add something like this in any other way. But since buying crown gifts with in game gold is trending now is pretty much the same thing.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people who hate leveling so much play RPGs?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Wouldn't you agree that doing actually content is much more entertaining than run like a monkey for same skyshards for hours 15 times?
    Pretty sure that I'm not the only one that prefers pvp, do dungeons, trials, try different builds in their time rather than shard collecting, lvl up mage's guild, psijic skill line, undaunted... The proposition the way I see it doesn't affect anyone else but the ones that would buy them.
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thought, Why not let us use the useless achievement score we have acquired, put milestones on it, and if you hit certain milestones you get to unlock skill points. These would then carry over to new chars like CP does. Maybe if you have completed let say the whole lot of Summerset achievements, you get a token that would allow you to get max in the psijic skill line.

I know this doesn't address your original question, just a though i had whilst i'm sat here at work, bored.
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thought, Why not let us use the useless achievement score we have acquired, put milestones on it, and if you hit certain milestones you get to unlock skill points. These would then carry over to new chars like CP does. Maybe if you have completed let say the whole lot of Summerset achievements, you get a token that would allow you to get max in the psijic skill line.

I know this doesn't address your original question, just a though i had whilst i'm sat here at work, bored.

Why would ZOS want to let you bypass content instead of wanting you to replay content and thus extend your playtime of ESO?
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would ZOS want to let you bypass content instead of wanting you to replay content and thus extend your playtime of ESO?

They wouldn't, convenience doesn't make them money. But i can live in hope, helps me get up in the morning.
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They wouldn't, convenience doesn't make them money. But i can live in hope, helps me get up in the morning.

Heh, glad that works for you. Me, I need coffee.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really pay-2-win (except in fluffing up skill points for passives in nonvet PvP/Bgs, but that can be done without them.

I'd still be super opposed to it (just like I'd be against instant-guild level ups, preleveled characters, etc.) in the crown store, as it pushes the envelope of convenience.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glass wrote: »
    very bad thing. would be pay to win.

how would it be pay to win? the way I see it is a comodity, like having scrolls to speed up your xp or to improve your mount. It doesn't give you an advantage to anyone else in the game, it just saves you time.

The key to making it not p2w is to count the bought skill points against the skyshard max skill points. This means that if there are 30 skill points you can get from skyshards and you buy 5 skill points in the crown store, than you won't get skill points when you collect the last 15 skyshards. If a new DLC came out with 9 additional skyshards and you have all the previous skyshards, you would automatically get 3 additional skill points as the skyshard skill point cap has increased by 3 and you already collected enough shards for 3 more points.

This suggestion is convoluted, but I don't think you should be able to get PvP skill points without PvPing or dungeon skill points without clearing the dungeons and we definitely shouldn't see people being able to have more skill points than the cap by buying skill points since it is very possible for crafters that do all types of content to run out of skill points, forcing them to skip things like DB or TG skills that could help them sneak or make money. Or they are forced to only morph some of their class skills, even if there are other skills that would be situationally helpful.

Another possibility is to allow skill point unlocks where if you have all based game skyshards on one character, any other character can buy the skyshards with crowns. The same for PvP skills points, main story quests, and group dungeons, but you have to have all the base game skills points in a category to purchase the shortcut package. The PvP one would be great since that is far more grindy than skyshards.
    Mureel wrote: »
    Like the title says, would there be an argument to not sell skill points in the crown store? I would definitely buy them in bulk if that's how they sell it. I have 15 toons, it's extremely boring to do the same quests/skyshard hunt over and over, and not even talking about psijic skill line and mage's guild, but I guess that's not the point of the post.

IDK why people make SO MANY CHARACTERS when they don't want to play them.

Maybe they aren't like Rain Man and don't take pleasure from repeating the same quests over and over again? I love the quests in the game and have enjoyed doing them multiple times. But at this point, I'm just clicking through. Is that a gameplay model we are defending?

I would never spend a cent to speed up character leveling, so I am not defending the original suggestion. I don't know that the game should try to appeal more to a MOBA or FPS crowd that wants to be able to choose from a large selection of characters all balanced to be at the same power level. I want ZOS to focus on making this an RPG. But, in the end, I actually won't mind if they allowed people shortcuts on alts for tasks already done on a character, like reaching level 50, since there is that whole "end game" thing in MMOs and after playing this game for 4 years, there are people who will just want to spend their time running trials or PvPing.
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭

I really like this idea of course, but it seems like that would be in a perfect world, I took the approach of the subject as the business point of view, which is more likely to happen. Convenience for us, business for them.
    Maybe what @DaveMoeDee would fit perfectly,
    "Another possibility is to allow skill point unlocks where if you have all based game skyshards on one character, any other character can buy the skyshards with crowns"
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it's not *quite* pay-to-win, it's skirting pretty close to it. I wouldn't want this, personally.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theres nothing wrong with pay to win.

There should be some pool of skill points you could buy for either Crowns, Gold or AP. Not an infinite amount, but a reasonable cap of 20 or so.
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never before, have I heard such a horrible idea

Edited by Shinshadow on August 23, 2018 11:51PM
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would still have to raise the character level to 50 to gain access to the skills to use the skill points.

So what am I missing?
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would still have to raise the character level to 50 to gain access to the skills to use the skill points.

So what am I missing?

The moving around and playing the game part. A person can get to level 50 by running in circles killing the same monsters. If they are really clever, they can set up a bot to do it for them. I don't doubt that people actually do that.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be against them selling maxed character tokens. I don't mean CP capped toons, I mean lvl 50 toons before the usual people come in crying.

As things currently stand, a lot of folk spend their time in skyreach or doing that inane dolmen run. They learn nothing. Exactly like they'd learn nothing buying a lvl 50 token from the CS. Merely a time saver and there's already time savers on the CS. Other games do it and they don't suffer. I get MMO's rely heavily on inane grinds, but sometimes being able to bypass a grind is beneficial to both the dev and player alike. Most burnout arises from having to do the same *** over and over again. I'm all for a lvl 50 token.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That's a kinda 1 dimensional view. It completely ignores the fact that some people who desire a quicker route do so because the thought they need to do the same content for the umpteenth time is something we'd rather avoid. People also want a level 50 toon for a variety of different reasons. Some so they can skip right to end game content where all their mates are, some for cp pvp and so on.

I loved levelling my first character (now my main). Learning the ins and outs of it all and working my way through the CP's. I liked the next two as I went different routes with them. After that, it became a chore. The game offers us classes that can change your play style entirely and as such, people will want to give them ago. However, you know there's that big repetitive grind in front of you and it's off putting. You may enjoy doing it for the umpteenth dozen time, but as with everything else in life, we all like and dislike different things. Yeah, no one is disputing some of us have no issue doing the same thing ad nauseam, but by the same token some of us do.

Just because people request a level boost or the likes doesn't mean they somehow dislike everything that make an rpg an rpg. It's also highly debatable how much you learn taking a toon from lvl 3-50 anyway. A number of passives and skills aren't opened up and once they are you are already at your CP level again and you revert to a play style that barely resembles that of a lvl 3-50 toon. I can only speak for myself, but i know I tend to discard a lot of the skills I used to level my class up and never use them again.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on August 24, 2018 9:46AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be against them selling maxed character tokens. I don't mean CP capped toons, I mean lvl 50 toons before the usual people come in crying.

As things currently stand, a lot of folk spend their time in skyreach or doing that inane dolmen run. They learn nothing. Exactly like they'd learn nothing buying a lvl 50 token from the CS. Merely a time saver and there's already time savers on the CS. Other games do it and they don't suffer. I get MMO's rely heavily on inane grinds, but sometimes being able to bypass a grind is beneficial to both the dev and player alike. Most burnout arises from having to do the same *** over and over again. I'm all for a lvl 50 token.

I doubt this would change burnout. They would just get burned out over another part of the game. The cause of burnout isn't entirely the game, a lot of it rests with the player. I think people focused on the destination instead of the journey will get burned out faster. I don't think it will matter how fast the journey is, or how ungrindy it becomes.

That's a kinda 1 dimensional view. It completely ignores the fact that some people who desire a quicker route do so because the thought they need to do the same content for the umpteenth time is something we'd rather avoid. People also want a level 50 toon for a variety of different reasons. Some so they can skip right to end game content where all their mates are, some for cp pvp and so on.

I loved levelling my first character (now my main). Learning the ins and outs of it all and working my way through the CP's. I liked the next two as I went different routes with them. After that, it became a chore. The game offers us classes that can change your play style entirely and as such, people will want to give them ago. However, you know there's that big repetitive grind in front of you and it's off putting. You may enjoy doing it for the umpteenth dozen time, but as with everything else in life, we all like and dislike different things. Yeah, no one is disputing some of us have no issue doing the same thing ad nauseam, but by the same token some of us do.

Just because people request a level boost or the likes doesn't mean they somehow dislike everything that make an rpg an rpg. It's also highly debatable how much you learn taking a toon from lvl 3-50 anyway. A number of passives and skills aren't opened up and once they are you are already at your CP level again and you revert to a play style that barely resembles that of a lvl 3-50 toon. I can only speak for myself, but i know I tend to discard a lot of the skills I used to level my class up and never use them again.

I might have to reread that a couple of times, but I don't think you actually addressed his comment. I think you skirted around it in a manner that sort of supports what he said.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the question was about selling skill points, and I'd be against that as stated. However, the reason for the request also needs to be addressed. There's a big difference between levelling our first character and repeating the process with a second, third etc. The game already acknowledges this with the switch-over to CP at level 50, but doesn't really have the right answer yet. We need a way to separate the evolution of the player from that of an individual character on the account. CP apply to all characters, maybe skill points should, too.

There does need to be a mechanism that requires a skill to be used and practised before points can be assigned to it. That exists now, but may need to be strengthened in some way if skill points are pooled, or made account-wide also.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. And then you’d have many people demanding they be account wide. Then next you know everyone is running with 999 skill points and everything maxed out on all characters. Might as well remove the entire system then.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Social aspects, and customizations..

I don't get this pay to win aspect at all.. everyone gets the same skill points how ever they play.. all this changes is time..

And if i could buy skill packs guess where they'd go.. Crafting passives.. more power to my character there rawr..
    Edited by DanteYoda on August 25, 2018 12:40AM
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    Yes. And then you’d have many people demanding they be account wide. Then next you know everyone is running with 999 skill points and everything maxed out on all characters. Might as well remove the entire system then.

I'm just so confused by the problem you addressed.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wouldn't you agree that doing actually content is much more entertaining than run like a monkey for same skyshards for hours 15 times?
    Pretty sure that I'm not the only one that prefers pvp, do dungeons, trials, try different builds in their time rather than shard collecting, lvl up mage's guild, psijic skill line, undaunted... The proposition the way I see it doesn't affect anyone else but the ones that would buy them.

This is generally a bad idea. It leans toward people just buying premade characters which is bad long term for the game. If your willing to through money at the crown store then I dont see why you need more than 10 characters 1 of each class and either stam or mag build. Technically you could probably do 5. And then use the race change feature to change your builds.

Another point. You do realize that there are 407 skill points in the game right? Only a little over a third of which are available from skyshards. You could just change up how you go about collecting said points. People tend to do skyshard collecting because it can be accessed early and although tedious it's easy to do. Outside of the ones in cyrodyl you can collect the rest in about as much time as it took you to grind your character to 50 in the first place.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »

I'm just so confused by the problem you addressed.

Are you being sarcastic? My response was motivated by the “gimmie” mentality that is prevalent on the forums. People already want skyshard collections to be account wide. So to purchase skill points they will surely want those account wide too. Then everyone will be running around with toons with some 999 skill points and maxed out on everything. So we might as well just remove the character advancement system altogether. Then the entire premise that makes RPGs addictive will be gone. Then the game will die.

Edit: I think you were agreeing with me using sarcasm. Which is fine. But I elaborated for those that really do think we should be able to purchase skill points. Lol. I’m level CP 125 and am now focused entirely on gaining skill points. If I can buy them, then the game is done. Same as what happens when you acquire all the gear and max levels and are uber powerful in single player RPG games. I’ve done it. It’s fascinating for about 15 minutes unless there is a properly implemented “new game +”.

I mean, it was stupid to replay resident evil with the rocket launcher after about 10 minutes of screwing around with it. After you went through hell to complete game in under 3 hours to get it. How long do most people spend walking around one-hitting everything? About the same time people spend playing Doom in god mode. It’s not fun. And silly.

Easy skill points are the end of the game.

Edit 2: I broke Skyrim on my last play through. Like my 10th playthrough. By making my character able to one-hit everything by level 35. Too much time spent in game and I learned how to “game” the game. It wasn’t fun once I had a maxed out dagger with chaos damage and maxed destruction skills only to one-shot everything including dragons with a dagger. Lol.
    Edited by qbit on August 28, 2018 5:40PM
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Perhaps this is more concerning those who have already leveled up some characters and then become interested in trying new class for group dungeons and trials, PVP, battlegrounds?

IMO what makes ESO amazing, and the part I have the most fun with is coming up with all kinds of different pvp builds with each of the 5 classes including stamina, magicka and even hybrids are quite strong this patch. (And now I also want to try a couple more werewolf builds!)

The possibilities for build ideas are incredibly diverse in this game. Just making 2 or 3 of each class is already 10-15 characters, and then it takes a lot longer to get each one ready to be competitive for pvp or battlegrounds compared to other kinds of multiplayer games where you can just hop on, pick a class and jump into the action.

I hope anyone who played at launch would agree it is so much less grindy these days, though! Back then grinding was almost obligatory as it took months to level up if you were just playing the game normally. Now there is not really much need to grind XP at all anymore unless trying to catch up champion points.

You can level up an alt to 50 very quickly these days just playing the game normally doing quests, dungeons, battlegrounds or Cyrodiil PVP, and you immediately get access to the account wide champion points and can equip max level gear. To make fully viable build however, it does require a lot of skill points and many players end up with a bunch of half finished characters they never get around to being able to use in pvp or endgame pve.

Still, it is so much faster than it was at launch, glad for the huge progress so far making it easier and easier for casual players to level up alts.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on August 31, 2018 3:55AM
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    Hah!
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is really happening? They are going to sell skillpoints for real?
  • lishybach
    lishybach
    ✭✭
    Rip dungeon quests
  • Blackpine
    Blackpine
    ✭✭
    It is bad p2w idea. It is on the same page with selling vet trial gear in store because 'well, you can obtain it in game therefore it's not p2w'.
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. This is a horrible suggestion