The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does being a Nightblade mean to you?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
What is the class identity? What makes it fun and enjoyable?
  • How is nightblader healer diffferent from other classes?
  • How is nightblade tank different from other classes?
  • How is nightblade dps different from other classes?

Note: we were talking in eso community discord about the changes for nightblade coming up and feeling of loss of fun or identity for classes overtime as constant worry for patches. So I made this thread to talk about what the class means others so such things can be protected.
Edited by Tasear on March 31, 2019 11:52PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always loved the idea of "sap tanking" - ie: draining a targets health to replenish my own, so I suppose that's what got me interested in magblade originally.
    Nowadays I just find it an enjoyable play style. On magblade I feel like I'm always doing something and working hard, so you always feel accomplished, even after a defeat.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I've always loved the idea of "sap tanking" - ie: draining a targets health to replenish my own, so I suppose that's what got me interested in magblade originally.
    Nowadays I just find it an enjoyable play style. On magblade I feel like I'm always doing something and working hard, so you always feel accomplished, even after a defeat.

So more active rotation?
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being an assasins.... But yeah rip cloak
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't main one(can't color blind and everything is frrrrreaking red uuuughh), the skills fell fast fluid and heavy. Like popping that bow hearing the noise and seeing heavy numbers or ticking down to 25% like its new years. It feels like a dps class. take dks or stamsorcs. rending rending rending..... rending...… claw claw claw claw claw claw claw claw claw claw claw...… rending.

I view the nightblade like that quick anime ninja character with the cool theme song and runs so fast that his arms go limp.
    Edited by Onefrkncrzypope on March 31, 2019 2:59PM
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Alucardo wrote: »

So more active rotation?

Yeah, I think that's a good way to put it. Strictly talking about magblade though, not the stamina counter-part.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sap and leech
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are the “rogue” class of ESO. So they should be nimble and a bit stealthy. Ambush fighters, scouts, a bit like the melee equivalent of a glass canon.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the class indentity? What makes it fun and enjoyable?
    Assassin, Rouge, Archer, Dark/black knight, Blood mage, "Sap tank", Alchemist.

So Basically:
    - Stamina DPS: Assassin, Rouge, Archer.
    - Magicka DPS: Blood mage, Alchemist.
    - Healer: Blood mage
    - Tank: "Sap tank", Dark/black knight.

Current state:
    - NB tanking is pretty much dead, and not enjoyable at all. "Sap Tank" and evasion based tanking is gone. NB lacks what made it unique when it comes to tanking, effectively lacking class identity in this department.
    - NB healer is lack luster. You need to work hard to make it work. And even then you can get out-preformed by Templar & even Warden. Recent mag blade nerfs made it even more difficult & NB have almost nothing to offer in terms of group utility.
    - NB DPS took the cake and is primary NB role. If you picked NB back in 2014 and you prefer support role, you are basically [removed profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on April 1, 2019 4:31PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Playing a Nightblade in ESO means playing the only class that actually WORKS. They don't have the stupid limitations that other classes suffer from (no execute, no spammable, etc.). On the contrary, they have pretty much everything and then some. And they have half of that for free, baked into passives or damage moves.

Stamblade misses its assassin mark. Stealth in ESO on NB means abusing a ridiculously broken, SPAMMABLE invisibility. Ugh. Should be about flanking, moving around the zerg and attack the soft targets in the back. But instead stamblade is just a faster brawler with an escape button. Utter failure from the perspective of RPG design.

Magblade siphons (pun intended) identity from vampires. MNBs are blood mages with even more broken invisibility. Ugh, again. Know what magblades should be? Magicka melee casters. They were conceptualized as such, but that got mauled by the ZOS nerfhammer. Much like DW magsorc, btw. Interesting design would be doubling down on the melee caster aspect, ripping off the siphoning sillyness and giving it to vampires, finally making them whole.

TL;DR:
    Nightblade overloaded and OP, but badly-designed class identity for stam and mag.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Entitlement

:trollface:
    PC EU
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So Basically:

Current state:
    - NB tanking is pretty much dead, and not enjoyable at all. "Sap Tank" and evasion based tanking is gone. NB lacks what made it unique when it comes to tanking, effectively lacking class identity in this department.
    - NB healer is lack luster. You need to work hard to make it work. And even then you can get out-preformed by Templar & even Warden. Recent mag blade nerfs made it even more difficult & NB have almost nothing to offer in terms of group utility.
    - NB DPS took the cake and is primary NB role. If you picked NB back in 2014 and you prefer support role, you are basically [removed profanity].

How could they improve tanking and healing you think? We were actually talking about this on eso community discord https://discord.gg/9UafDmq
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on April 1, 2019 4:31PM
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So Basically:

You said what i wanted to say. i also will add the regen build. Constantly dodging and evading isnt something you can do in other games.

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assassin, Rogue, Archer that is constantly 100% stealthed and invisible unless we are attacking.
    uses Nunchaku, Fists, throwing stars, throwing daggars, Bow.
    Edited by Gilvoth on March 31, 2019 2:43PM
  • Kulvar
    Kulvar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade for me is like a mosquito. It harasses. Burst, retreat, burst, retreat.
    Frail, but evasive. Draining its victim of its blood patiently while dodging a deadly slap.
    An annoying little insect draining you when you don't expect it.
    Coward Argonian scholar of the Ebonheart Pact
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having the choice to cloak through trash.
    PC EU
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rogue, assassin. Weak attacks but able to most of the time stealth away to come back and suprise their opponent.

Now we just gotta nerf their damage to match this.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I originally wanted to play my NB as a Blackguard kind of character. So a dark knight using invisiblity, venom and debuffs to surprise opponents, then brawl it out with them. Unfortunately this playstyle didn't work out at all.
    With stamina NB you go all out damage & evasion, or you fail.
    Magblade has more utility options & better mobility, but is hampered by melee builds not working well with melee weapons (low light/heavy attack damage and no magicka return) and doesn't do enough damage for its fragility.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stealth. Using daggers NOT a staff. Sneaking and stealing everything.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Rogue, assassin. Weak attacks but able to most of the time stealth away to come back and suprise their opponent.

Now we just gotta nerf their damage to match this.

if you are insinuating that nightblades do "more" damage than the other classes or that nightblade "Should" do less damage than other classes then both of those is Unfair and False.
    nightblades should be allowed to do equal damage as the other classes and right now the bow does Less than other classes.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cloak and being evasive/sneaky.

What I thought before starting eso:
    A sneaky class that combines magical and physical attacks to kill people. Daggers and magic.

After playing eso:

NB healing - to me means burst healing (love healthy offering).
    NB dps - stamblade is about right. Magblade doesn’t feel like a ‘nightblade’ because there’s no melee really. I’d like to be using daggers and it to be more like a short range magical damage class with melee attacks. In my mind a magblade shouldn’t be using fire staffs at all but daggers. It took me months to get used to using a destro staff as a magblade.

First encounter with the name NB was in Rift so I had that preconception.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 31, 2019 7:57PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • RusevCrush
    RusevCrush
    ✭✭✭
    Being rewarded for a difficult rotation. Don't take that away.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It means playing an aggressive high risk class that requires hyper awareness. The only thing that makes this class noob friendly is Cloak which is why I want it nerfed. I don't like anything that lowers the skill ceiling or raises the skill floor.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It means watching as every patch nerfs my Tank further and further with no consideration.
    Argonian forever
  • samueltannerb14_ESO
    For me the Nightblade has always been a DOT/HOT mage. I've built mine to be as close to, dare I say it, a necromancer style build as possible. Over the years I loved playing that style, but never could quite get to the exact build I wanted. I have lost a sense of fun with changes over the years that took away some of the CC options and changes that lessened the impact of siphon based healing.

Now, with the necromancer coming out I will have less reason to continue my Nightblade as the necro will be more closely aligned to what I once found fun with the Nightblade.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only reason i play a nightblade is because they can cast invisibility.
    they need make another class that can cast invisibility, that has new things.
    id change to him immediate.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is easy to answer for tanks and healers. It means not having anything close to the tools for your role for tank, and not offering anything other than overhealing for healer. I'm sort of joking but there is no draw for either and they're missing essential support skills let alone anything that recommends them over DK tanks or Templar/Sorc/Warden healers. Blood mage that offers healing and the support of shadows, and a knight with the protection of the night :joy: being some flavor.

IMO I don't put the flavor that high. Give me an interesting twist on the usual tank/healer mechanics that don't leave a gaping hole in the class when I'm putting together the bars. Sadly the content is designed to use the tools of the prototypical examples of the role and without some way to reasonably approximate those tools the class tanking/healing will be weak. Replacements in guild lines or weapon lines work but would likely reduce the flavor as well.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealth kills.
    Assassination.
    Cloak.
    Fast and nimble.

Ambush, if that fails, cloak and run.

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a nightblade in anticipation of the justice system, because of invisibility and fast stealth movement. I've never regretted that choice. (The race choice is a different matter, and his name is now Grumpy Ex Wood Elf.)

On the combat side, they've already nerfed most skills that were central to my magblade build (Funnel Health, Refreshing Path, Harness Magicka, Merciless Resolve, ...), and I no longer care what they do to make magblades even less powerful in PvE than they now are.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing a nightblade means being nerfed every patch in some significant way.

At least we still have a "unique class Identity". :lol:
    Edited by Minalan on April 1, 2019 8:19PM