The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shooting Through Walls

c363b
c363b
✭✭✭
Is there any prospect of changing the silly game mechanic that allows ranged attacks from enemy NPC's to penetrate through stone walls and other solid obstacles? As an example, when my character was leaving Ilessan Tower with enemies shooting at him, their arrows were still striking him when he neared the ladder with the enemies in the next hall, completely out of sight.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPCs in Cyrodiil have hax like this
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Just about every NPC in the entire game has this broken mechanic but the ones in cyrodil like @Beardimus mentioned are exceptionally annoying as hell.

Sometimes ill have made it inside the tower before the npcs even begin casting and they let loose their projectiles that follow me like they have GPS and go right thru walls still hitting me and CCing me sometimes.

I wouldn't recommend testing it with any City Guards as I can tell you with absolute certainty they possess the same ability to shoot thru walls even on an elevation and their projectile damage will ruin your entire life soon as you see the damage it did.

I wouldn't expect any fixes Zos has made it clear *bugs* that don't hinder every single player in the game only certain ones aren't exactly priorities and were kinda stuck with them till well FOREVER lol like being stuck in combat
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s probably intentional so people can’t LoS exploit.

Before MMOs did stuff like this funny stuff would happen, like in EQ players who jumped on a house could range mobs down and got to 50 in a week.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • magblade88
    magblade88
    ✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    NPCs in Cyrodiil have hax like this

Yeah this is super annoying when soloing resorse in cyrodiil. I would be happy if they would fix this bug and buffed the guards a bit more. Still a bit to easy to kill 7 guards solo.
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    A certain main quest in Wrothgar has this problem and it makes that quest almost impossible to do if you don't have an out of combat self heal. (or a very well equipped character at the very least)
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've often wished for this as well. It looks so silly when running through a delve when the mobs you've passed are just peppering you with ranged attacks from so far away and around several corners.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    It’s probably intentional so people can’t LoS exploit.

It's a good theory, and might be part of the reason. I would however consider this overall unlikely given how good mobs are at repositioning themselves to regain LOS before firing again.

The process for mobs firing ranged seems to follow the pattern of move to LOS position, take aim, fire. Once they move to their new position and begin firing, there are no more calculations for LOS. Heck, the projectiles will even curve and change trajectory to auto-hit the player targeted. And there is what I think the real reason is. To solve this problem, the gain is going to have to either continually calculate for LOS or physics components will need to be added to all of the projectiles. Either one of those solutions is going to add quite a bit of calculations which is going to impact performance. Perhaps ZOS has measured what that impact would be and consider it too great of a loss, hence why we see these silly mobs magically shooting through walls.

PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if there are newer posts, but this came up first on my search, so i add to this.

I would understand projectiles that are allready launched from the NPC getting through obstaclesm though that too is kinda silly mechanic but still more tolerable.

What is annoying as heck, is that while i happen to be in any place that has sufficient obstructions to make enemies loos line of sight, they still dont even attempt to get in the LOS but instead, stand still right there... Behind a corrifdor or stonebricks that exists in area of soldis rock... Shooting right through the walls and layers of solid rock until i either die, run further away or kill them.

This kind of NPC behaviour makes it hard to use pulling techniques that collect the enemies in one group because they must get to LOS, because in ESO, only players need to have LOS and even a fence which is just right up to your waist level, can get you out of LOS and prevent from using attacks against enemies and this is actually one of the very few occasions where even NPC¨s have to run around the febnce to shoot arrows to you, but they do shoot arrows and magix right through that solid rock.

This is something that needs to be adressed and by adressing, i do not mean by saying "We take a look in to it" but adressing in a way that actually fixes this.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still have to have line of sight on you when they conduct their attack. All ranged attacks in this game, even the arrows somehow, are guided heat seeking missiles with your name on them. (Probably literally considering how coding works)

You'd have to dodge roll to break that lock, and when you combine the server being slightly behind on where exactly you're located it can seem like they have wall hacks.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    They still have to have line of sight on you when they conduct their attack. All ranged attacks in this game, even the arrows somehow, are guided heat seeking missiles with your name on them. (Probably literally considering how coding works)

You'd have to dodge roll to break that lock, and when you combine the server being slightly behind on where exactly you're located it can seem like they have wall hacks.

Tell that to the archers who stood behind several walls pelting me with arrows for 20+ seconds until I found them.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.