The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why are Templar healers still considered the best?

giantpixie
giantpixie
✭✭
As far as I can see power of the light is the only reason a Templar healer is still required in trials but surely there’s other ways to provide that debuff. From what I can tell Sorc and warden make the best healing team.

Best Answers

• Floliroy
    Floliroy
    ✭✭✭
    giantpixie wrote: »
    Then do we start running sorc dds again for the minor prophecy?

Depend of your group, if you don't need more sustain and don't need the minor mending, so if you don't need templar / warden advantage, but you need those from a sorc go sorc healer.

Everything depends of your group :)
    YoutubeFacebookTwitchTwitter
    PvE Scores - Titles
    PC - EU

GodSlayer
    Gryphon Heart | Dawnbringer | Tick-Tock Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer
    The Unchained | Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | The Flawless Conqueror

vAA : 154.949 (WR) | vHRC : 164.513 (WR) | vSO : 158.340
    vMoL : 164.538 | vHoF : 232.939 (WR) | vAS : 114.451
    vCR : 134.630 | vSS : 249.683 | vKA : 252.409 (WR)
    vDSA : 47.895 | vBRP: 103.140
    AddOn Author : HowToBeam - AsylumOlorime - DebuffMe - SpeedRun - ShowBlastbones - HowToSunspire - AddonCategory
    Answer ✓
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of it was templar DPS was so poor for a while that you still wanted a templar in the group to provide the buffs that they have. With templar DPS being viable again, you now have more options with the class that your healers play.

It comes down to group synergy, and what skills your group is running. Shards are a great way to proc Olorime (yes, there are other skills that do the same), as well as return resources, particularly placing them on a tank (or where the tank will be) as they'll have the chance to take the synergy when they need it, rather than on the short time that an orb goes past them. Breath of Life can be a lifesaver for a group. Any combination of the 3 can be viable however, which I think is great for the game, there's flexibility.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have the only solid reliable burst heal in the game.

Ok, just remembered that Sorcs now have a solid burst heal that is reliable, But I would still go with a templar for more consistent magicka sustain and healing buff.

Further, other than Craglorn I would require and have required one Templar in the group. If the second healer was not a Templar it is usually a Warden. Craglorn trials are different since they are much easier.

Floliroy has good information. Sorc comes up short since their sustain causes them to basically do nothing for a moment. Really feels clunky. When you look at their information it becomes clear why Templar/Warden combo is such a good combination.
    Edited by idk on March 29, 2019 2:22PM
  • Floliroy
    Floliroy
    ✭✭✭
    PotL
    + Minor Sorcery
    + Sustain (with Chaneled Focus)
    + BoL
    + Minor Mending

Sorc got :
    Conduit + Minor Prophecy + Matriarch Healing
    But Sustain is trash and not any special healing bonus

Warden got :
    Harvest + Minor Thoughness + Sustain (with Netch) + Major Mending
    But not any burst Heal
    PvE Scores - Titles
    PC - EU

GodSlayer

AddOn Author : HowToBeam - AsylumOlorime - DebuffMe - SpeedRun - ShowBlastbones - HowToSunspire - AddonCategory
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would assume because of ritual of rebirth, breath of life, and shards. Ritual of retribution is pretty good too for cleanses.
  • giantpixie
    giantpixie
    ✭✭
    Isn’t dark conversion the sorc sustain that also gives minor prophecy?
  • Floliroy
    Floliroy
    ✭✭✭
    Isn’t dark conversion the sorc sustain that also gives minor prophecy?

Sustain from it is kinda trash, and cast time is meeeeeh as healer ^^
    PvE Scores - Titles
    PC - EU

GodSlayer

• giantpixie
    giantpixie
    ✭✭
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same reason DK is the best tank. It’s easy to learn and play well.

Experiences may vary somewhat, but to me easy=better.

Doesn’t matter what they do with stats that make something technically better, if it’s difficult, easy is better.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly shards. Plus don’t forget about NB.

NB basicly plays exactly the same as a templar except no shards, better sustain. The main difference is instead ritual of retribution NBs have refreshing path. Refreshing path is double the HPS of ritual but a really small area. That means in stacked fights like HoF a NB has higher HPS but less HPS in fights where you can’t stack.

Btw, breath of life isn’t the strongest burst heal in the game. Healthy Offering is, NBs have it.

NBs are moreso ST healers where Templars are AoE healers. That’s why I prefer my Templar for PvE and NB for pvp.

Edited by Iskiab on March 29, 2019 3:24PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

NB basicly plays exactly the same as a templar except no shards, better sustain. The main difference is instead ritual of retribution NBs have refreshing path. Refreshing path is double the HPS of ritual but a really small area. That means in stacked fights like HoF a NB has higher HPS but less HPS in fights where you can’t stack.

Btw, breath of life isn’t the strongest burst heal in the game. Healthy Offering is, NBs have it.

NBs are moreso ST healers where Templars are AoE healers. That’s why I prefer my Templar for PvE and NB for pvp.

Biggest issue with NB healers is that they don't provide any group utility from an end-game PVE standpoint. Yes, they have the potential to be the "best" healer in terms of raw healing output. However, from a group standpoint, they lag far behind Templar, Sorc, and Warden healers.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • giantpixie
    giantpixie
    ✭✭
    I would love a change to the NB that gives them an ability to apply minor stamina steal maybe a change to shades rather than minor maim
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of reasons I can think of.

Shards are still slightly better than Orbs. On top of being able to place them where they need to be instead of crawling towards players, Shard has a much easier time being utilized then Orbs due to their stationary nature and as a Tank, it's a lot easier to position myself for Alkosh then when I have to chase Orbs around. They also help to proc Olorime's while providing somewhat more resources than Orbs due to providing both Magic and Stamina (if that morph is selected). Then there's the Ritual that help provided some light CC with snares, a very large HoT area, a synergy for more Alkosh procs and purges. There's nothing even remotely close to it on other classes. I don't really like to count PotL as a Healer thing but its utility nonetheless that is available to the class and outside of a few sets, it's kind of difficult to get Minor Fracture/Breech reliably that makes it invaluable for a Raid Group. The rest is pretty basic. BoL is reliable, Repentance is a free heal, sustain is solid, etc.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on March 29, 2019 10:56PM
    Argonian forever
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »

Biggest issue with NB healers is that they don't provide any group utility from an end-game PVE standpoint. Yes, they have the potential to be the "best" healer in terms of raw healing output. However, from a group standpoint, they lag far behind Templar, Sorc, and Warden healers.

True, like I said I prefer healing on my Templar, especially new tanks like shards best because they can grab them when they want instead of watching for an orb.

All the utility arguments though don’t hold up unless you stack a certain dps type. If your dps is 7 NBs and a sorc then yea, it matters. If you already have a good mix of classes I don’t think it really does.

Thing is this game’s incredibly easy to level alts. In games where it isn’t it makes sense to have an even distribution of classes. In ESO you can have a new 50 in a couple of days so it’s easy to stack classes.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 29, 2019 4:49PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Templars have the only solid reliable burst heal in the game.

Healthy offering is superior to BOL in almost every way

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That and the fact that now we can sustain them, the damage is very comparable to magplar and mageblade. mSorc is pretty strong this patch. NBs might have a touch more ST damage, but sorcs are frankly sturdier with the matriarch, minor prophecy is nice, and Major Berzerk is amazing.

To answer the question:
    -POTL
    -Burst Heal
    -Group cleanse
    -Minor Mending
    -Shards
    -Fast Resurrection
    -Probably a few other things I am forgetting...
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 29, 2019 9:39PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my answer after nercomancer it will depend on the group.

Templar:
    Has pot but there's stamplars and sunderflame

Class purge but only every 20 secs to allies

Easy to use

Warden
    3 class skill synergies
    Minor lifesteal
    Defile
    High hps
    Stamina and Magicka regain buff that scales a lot better after wrathstone racials
    Minor toughness
    Restiences for allies
    Harder to use

Sorc
    Class synergy
    Major berserk *useful in small groups
    Best burst heal
    Easy to use

Dk
    Shield
    High burst healing
    Major mending
    Major damage buff

Nightblade
    High healing over time
    Speed

Nercomancer
    2 class skill synergies
    Empowered light attacks for allies
    Minor protection
    Minor vunberbilty
    Auto heal ghost
    Restiences buff that isn't major or minor

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tasear

TBF you left out sustain skills of which Templar has a good one and the Sorc skill kind of sucks (best word I can think of).
  • Donnasnowheart_ESO
    Donnasnowheart_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    What kinda healer has sustain issues when most of them have atronach as their mundus, a set or jewelry that gives them mag regen, and restro heavy attacks I don't even.....
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tasear

TBF you left out sustain skills of which Templar has a good one and the Sorc skill kind of sucks (best word I can think of).

I see what you are saying but Templar sustain takes a class skill which is often left out. Also this just my personally experience but Sorcs have better sustain this templars in actually gameplay. I mean if you consider they have 5 percent cost reduction and 15% cost reduction after blocking and 10 to 20% magicka regain all as passives not skills like templar.

Personally though I think best match up in future will be necro/warden with defensive support off the chart. In fact... pretty sure it will be a balance issue eventually for zos.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the efficiency of Extended Ritual (HoT + purge) and Shards (damage + resource support). I also enjoy that, to me, the templar feels a bit like a paladin/priest/cleric - inspired healer. I make no claims about what class is 'best'; simply that I'm happy with my templar healer. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand Warden, but so far all my experiences having a sorc healer on group have been horrible to the point of them being kicked out of a trial and vote to be kicked from dungeon. People can go on to list all the skills and passives and whatnot but out there on the field the performance does not live up to the pen and paper.
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    Because a Templar Healer can just slot a huge amount of regen and heal while tanking, at least it could with the old clappy-hands. The new one still can, but it takes a bit more work (still fun though).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

I see what you are saying but Templar sustain takes a class skill which is often left out. Also this just my personally experience but Sorcs have better sustain this templars in actually gameplay. I mean if you consider they have 5 percent cost reduction and 15% cost reduction after blocking and 10 to 20% magicka regain all as passives not skills like templar.

Personally though I think best match up in future will be necro/warden with defensive support off the chart. In fact... pretty sure it will be a balance issue eventually for zos.

Since the Sorc exchange skill gained that long CD before we can do anything else I have found it very clunky to use regardless of the role. A big part of that is feel, but it just feels frustrating when you need to get a skill off and you cannot do anything because you had just used the exchange.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just wish they would stop nerfing BOL, it a shell compared to what it used to be.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars are my favorite DUNGEON healers by far because of skillbar efficiency. Blazing Spear/Shards meets the battery requirement and also does decent damage. Purifying Light does nice damage and nice healing. Rune Focus combines resistance and sustain. So it's easy to be a direct DPS contributor in dungeons while also meeting all healer requirements.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Since the Sorc exchange skill gained that long CD before we can do anything else I have found it very clunky to use regardless of the role. A big part of that is feel, but it just feels frustrating when you need to get a skill off and you cannot do anything because you had just used the exchange.

metoo It was talking about the other sustain options