Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is Alchemy worth it?

Traisa
Traisa
✭✭✭
So far I've noticed that the reagents I've found have a higher sell rate then crafting your own potions. You can get 2 gold for one Dragonthorn and 2 gold for one Blessed Thistle, yet when you combine them to make a potion, your potion's selling rate is 1 gold. I could have gotten 4 gold just selling the reagents. Maybe I'm not far enough level to notice any significant change in value, but right now all I really want to do with my reagents is sell them.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    I do alchemy so I can actually use the potions; why wouldn't you?

I feel it's worth it, especially when fighting bosses or mobs above your level. The appropriate potions really do give every class greater survivability.

Cooking buffs help too, by the way. And heaven knows we're up to our necks in recipes if we even start to open a few drawers and cabinets...
    Edited by Thesiren on April 9, 2014 11:46PM
  • Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    I think everyone should have at least one alchemist in their stable, as I am leveling I find myself using potions more and more often. As a healer I use my mana pots constantly even with capped regen and max mana. My friend that tanks for me normally uses the hell out of stamina potions. Thing to bear in mind is a vendor bought or 'dropped' potion is nowhere near as potent as a crafted one of same level. This will get way more important at higher levels where people are shopping around for "pots" to use in raids etc.

Now the whole storage space as a money sink issue....totally different discussion but if you try and do potions and food or enchanting at the same time you will see one of the bigger points of complaint among crafters.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy and Provisioning, as with all the crafting skills, clutter up my character and my Bank with too much stuff to make me interested in becoming a crafter. It's a pity because otherwise it's a nice system.
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do craft my own potions, but only one type for me to use and not sell, and that uses the reagents Bugloss and Columbine, which give me Restore Magicka + Restore Health on the same potion. All the other potions I have no use for. I'm also aware of how useful Provisioning is. I'm at level 28 in Provisioning and make use of the recipes that extend Health more-so than extend Magicka. I also sell the food I make that I don't plan on using.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The potions that give Heath, Mana and Stamina in one potion rock! Also you can get 3 potions from a single combine with the right traits. Its not worth it at the start, but after about 30 points into it, they are better then anything you will find in game.

I tried Provisioning, but it took much too much space, I will pick that up again once I have 200 bag space.
    Edited by Natjur on April 10, 2014 2:29AM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forget that alchemy exists. All the mats must be rotting in my bank.