Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Crashing the Mac

brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi Brains Trust,

I appreciate that there are a number of issues being experienced by the Mac user base, however I cant seem to find anyone else suffering the game crashing their MAC ... I mean unexpectedly compeltely powering off the mac. It happens since last patch, I have tried the changing of the value in the usersettings.txt file but it doesnt help. It happens anywhere from 15 mins to 2 hours while playing the game.

Im running a Late 2015 27 in iMac core i7 with 16GB RAM. I'm on Mojave 10.14.3.

havent had these issues before, any help appreciated.

Deadlift Dave

• Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Hi Brains Trust,

I appreciate that there are a number of issues being experienced by the Mac user base, however I cant seem to find anyone else suffering the game crashing their MAC ... I mean unexpectedly compeltely powering off the mac. It happens since last patch, I have tried the changing of the value in the usersettings.txt file but it doesnt help. It happens anywhere from 15 mins to 2 hours while playing the game.

Im running a Late 2015 27 in iMac core i7 with 16GB RAM. I'm on Mojave 10.14.3.

havent had these issues before, any help appreciated.

Deadlift Dave

I had an issue about a year ago that fits that description exactly, and it wasn't an issue with the game (directly). It just suddenly developed would happen whenever the iMac was experiencing a bit of CPU/graphics stress, always when playing a graphical game - it would seem to shut down, including the display, fans would continue for a few seconds but fall silent shortly after. Sometimes I could jiggle the power button on the back after a minute or two and it all came back to life still running everything that was before including the game but had lost network connection; other times had to press the button for the usual 10 seconds for a complete recycle/reboot.

The specs of my system are very similar to yours, just 32GB RAM not 16. At the time I was playing LOTRO before I had discovered ESO.

I took it into Apple twice, had them bench test it and diagnostics came up clean on the first instance, and they had cleaned it thoroughly and removed all dust and residue. Initially, I thought that had fixed it, but sadly not as it quickly started to happen again. I took it back and they kept it in diagnostics for a few days and finally discovered a fault on the system board, which was then replaced. I haven't looked back since - the issue was 100% solved.

The repair cost was just short of AUD300.

HTH
    /d
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your Mac might be overheating. Once your computer reaches a critical temperature, it shuts off to cool back down. Basically a self defense mechanism. Try going to https://www.eidac.de and install SMCFanControl. You can use it to crank your fans to the highest settings while playing and keep your Mac running a LOT cooler.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delsskia wrote: »
    It sounds like your Mac might be overheating. Once your computer reaches a critical temperature, it shuts off to cool back down. Basically a self defense mechanism. Try going to https://www.eidac.de and install SMCFanControl. You can use it to crank your fans to the highest settings while playing and keep your Mac running a LOT cooler.

This was my thought as well. Make sure you've got adequate ventilation around your comp.
  • brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    ok thanks chaps. I'll give it a try, I just put the vacuum to the vents to make sure i got any dust out that might have been blocking airflow as well.

Deadlift D
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its most likely a problem with your Motherboard as @Deeprave detailed. Exactly same thing happened to me but on PC.

Hope you get it resolved :)
  • brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    i have new iMac on the way - this can be the wife problem to solve :-)