The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Euraxia: Some lore problems

Lyserus
Lyserus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
1.Euraxia is suppose to be younger than Clivia, which in this trailer she looks as old as Abnur Tharn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWuJroAF2mA

2.Euraxia knew she is going to be queen of Rimmen since she is a child, how comes in the story now she obtained the throne through a coup? It's not like she knew she is gonna overthrown rimmen's original government since she is six

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/25429
^This is where it indicates the compare age of Euraxia and Clivia, and Euraxia already knew she is gonna be a queen since six
(Also there is the problem with Septima, Clivia and Euraxia's relation, they can't be sisters tho Septima refer them as sisters in the letter and mentioned "father" like they share one, which they can't actually share one since Euraxia is Clivia's young aunt)

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle
Edited by Lyserus on March 25, 2019 11:21PM
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    1.Euraxia is suppose to be younger than Clivia, which in this trailer she looks as old as Abnur Tharn

2.Euraxia knew she is going to be queen of Rimmen since she is a child, how comes in the story now she obtained the throne through a coup? It's not like she knew she is gonna overthrown rimmen's original government since she is six

^This is where it indicates the compare age of Euraxia and Clivia, and Euraxia already knew she is gonna be a queen since six

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle

Hm, are you saying Euraxia is both Abnur Tharn's daughter and half-sister? :o That sounds complicated
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep having Chinatown flashbacks, every time this comes up.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1) Clivia could be using a magical process to appear younger. There is insufficient data about Clivia and Euraxia to claim the trailer is inaccurate.

2) Just because Euraxia was raised to be Queen of Rimmen does not mean that the people of Rimmen will accept her as Queen.

Relax. It's all good ;)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they were playing a game, and Clivia was winning over the Rimmen territory, you could interpret Euraxia's claim as a child's tantrum, and not a literal thing. She didn't know she would become Queen of that area but she said it in a 'Oh yeah? Well when I become so and so, I will show you!' way. The fact that she did take over Rimmen may be coincidental or born from a childhood trauma dating back to that day (that's often the case with fictional super-villains ^^;). Anyway, that's one way you can think about it--as for the daughter/half-sister thing, well maybe she was Abnur's much younger half-sister, that he ended up adopting, who knows?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    2) Just because Euraxia was raised to be Queen of Rimmen does not mean that the people of Rimmen will accept her as Queen.

A couple possibilities here.

Her claim to the throne may be hereditary, from a time when Rimmen was under Imperial rule. (This would also make sense if that claim is from the parent she does not share with Abnur.) She would have been raised with the perspective that she was the rightful ruler, which the Khajiit would not agree with.

Her claim may be fraudulent, and date back to the aspirations of the Tharn dynasty before the Soulburst. This is a bit more speculative, because we don't have hard information on exactly what the Tharn family was up to before they sidded with Mannimarco. Though, it's possible they'd already drawn up plans to carve Tamriel apart among themselves after some power play. Probably via conspiracy with Mannimarco, before Abnur realized the King of Worms would betray them. The timing is dicey, but it's possible that these plans were being hatched while Euraxia was still a child.

Also worth remembering, even in the real world it's entirely possible to have huge gaps in age between siblings. As a personal example, my oldest brother is more than 20 years my senior. Given the Tharn family prolongs their lives with magic, it's not unreasonable that Tharn's half-sister is, in fact, the same age as his daughters.
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Since they were playing a game, and Clivia was winning over the Rimmen territory, you could interpret Euraxia's claim as a child's tantrum, and not a literal thing. She didn't know she would become Queen of that area but she said it in a 'Oh yeah? Well when I become so and so, I will show you!' way. The fact that she did take over Rimmen may be coincidental or born from a childhood trauma dating back to that day (that's often the case with fictional super-villains ^^;). Anyway, that's one way you can think about it--as for the daughter/half-sister thing, well maybe she was Abnur's much younger half-sister, that he ended up adopting, who knows?

Her claim to the throne may be hereditary, from a time when Rimmen was under Imperial rule. (This would also make sense if that claim is from the parent she does not share with Abnur.) She would have been raised with the perspective that she was the rightful ruler, which the Khajiit would not agree with.

Her claim may be fraudulent, and date back to the aspirations of the Tharn dynasty before the Soulburst. This is a bit more speculative, because we don't have hard information on exactly what the Tharn family was up to before they sidded with Mannimarco. Though, it's possible they'd already drawn up plans to carve Tamriel apart among themselves after some power play. Probably via conspiracy with Mannimarco, before Abnur realized the King of Worms would betray them. The timing is dicey, but it's possible that these plans were being hatched while Euraxia was still a child.

Also worth remembering, even in the real world it's entirely possible to have huge gaps in age between siblings. As a personal example, my oldest brother is more than 20 years my senior. Given the Tharn family prolongs their lives with magic, it's not unreasonable that Tharn's half-sister is, in fact, the same age as his daughters.

None of it explains why she would then look considerably older though (which was Lyserus' question)
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tib wrote: »
    Jaimeh wrote: »

None of it explains why she would then look considerably older though (which was Lyserus' question)

Actually, if you take out the white hair (which can happen regardless of age), her face doesn't look much different than Clivia's from that photo in the article. It could be that Clivia took better care of her appearance/health? For me, they look comparable, which falls in line with their small age difference...
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle

Hm, are you saying Euraxia is both Abnur Tharn's daughter and half-sister? :o That sounds complicated

Yeah that's another problem....Septima refer Clivia and Euraxia as sisters (you can say that's only because they are similar age, but she mentioned "father" in a tongue like they share a father, which contradict greatly with in game lore), while in game Euraxia is Clivia's young aunt, and Septima has unknown relationship with Abnur's branch, but either way, she can't be both Euraxia and Clivia's sister
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is AD completely absent? Dragons in Elsweyr and elves do not mind and send an agent to deal with a problem? The Mane himself should appear to combat this threat ... Is Veiled Queen more dangerous than dragons or an imperial occupation, a strike at heart of the alliance? They may ignore some lore highlights, but at least maintain some coherence.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle

Yeah that's another problem....Septima refer Clivia and Euraxia as sisters (you can say that's only because they are similar age, but she mentioned "father" in a tongue like they share a father, which contradict greatly with in game lore), while in game Euraxia is Clivia's young aunt, and Septima has unknown relationship with Abnur's branch, but either way, she can't be both Euraxia and Clivia's sister

Could be they were raised, "as sisters," together. Or it could indicate that the Tharn family tree is more tangled than we want to think about.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Is AD completely absent? Dragons in Elsweyr and elves do not mind and send an agent to deal with a problem? The Mane himself should appear to combat this threat ... Is Veiled Queen more dangerous than dragons or an imperial occupation, a strike at heart of the alliance? They may ignore some lore highlights, but at least maintain some coherence.

Cat people and humans getting eaten by dragons in an empty desert. Big deal. Nobody in AD leadership cares. They'll come clean up the mess when the dust settles. :sunglasses:
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 25, 2019 11:59PM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what actually happened to Clivia? Hmmmm.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    I wonder what actually happened to Clivia? Hmmmm.

My impression was, either she was possessed by Molag Kena (we've seen Sheogorath do this, but that's the only example I can think of, so it might not be possible.) Or, Kena killed and replaced her as a doppleganger at some point. Possibly around the same time that Abnur was exiled to Coldharbour.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lore is whatever they want it to be. Have you never seen a history fact to be found incorrect later as more was discovered?

Get over it.

Lore serves the game, the game does not serve lore.
    Edited by Skwor on March 26, 2019 12:28AM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Molag Kena has a line of dialouge which says "She is as lost to you as the White Gold Tower" referencing Clivia Tharn.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget it, Jake.

Also, I simply don't see anything that troubling here. When you've been alive for 160+ years, family trees get messy. Plenty of families in real life have these sorts of issues, being raised as a sister/cousin to someone who is actually their mother, due to unwanted pregnancy in youth as an example. Or people referring to each other as sister because they're about the same age. You simply can not get too literal with these matters. Any scenario you care to name has occurred in real life, so in a fictional lore, it's all on.

Euraxia saying "When I'm Queen you'll see" is just a 6 year old tantrum, it's not a statement of certainty.

As to Euraxia looking older than Clivia. Dude, there are dragons, there is teleportation, just chalk it off to magic and move on.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BahometZ wrote: »

Forget it, Jake.

Also, I simply don't see anything that troubling here. When you've been alive for 160+ years, family trees get messy. Plenty of families in real life have these sorts of issues, being raised as a sister/cousin to someone who is actually their mother, due to unwanted pregnancy in youth as an example. Or people referring to each other as sister because they're about the same age. You simply can not get too literal with these matters. Any scenario you care to name has occurred in real life, so in a fictional lore, it's all on.

Euraxia saying "When I'm Queen you'll see" is just a 6 year old tantrum, it's not a statement of certainty.

As to Euraxia looking older than Clivia. Dude, there are dragons, there is teleportation, just chalk it off to magic and move on.

Amusingly, one example of that is Jack Nicholson. He was the product of a teenage pregnancy, so his grandparents claimed he was their child. From what I remember, he didn't learn about this until years after Chinatown, during an interview. But, I can't find the details on short notice.
  • Vizikul
    Vizikul
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle

There could still be a second Euraxia Tharn. She could be Abnur's half-sister and have a daughter of the same name. Then, Septima could have pledged a blood pact with Clivia and Euraxia junior to become blood siblings.

If I recall correctly, Septima is a cousin of Abnur. When you are going to face Molag Bal after you completed the Bangkorai Questline, and talk to Septima Tharn in the God of Schemes quest, Abnur makes a statement about his relation to her.
    Skwor wrote: »
    That's not entirely true, otherwise they wouldn't have a lore master.
    Edited by Vizikul on March 26, 2019 1:12AM
    Pugging. Pugging all the way to victory.
    Imperial Dragonknight --- male, stamina, heavy & medium armor, dual wield, one hand and shield, two handed.
    Breton Templar --- female, magicka, light armor, restoration staff.
    Redguard Warden --- female, stamina, medium armor, bow.
    Breton Sorcerer --- male, magicka, light armor, destruction staff.
    Imperial Templar --- male, stamina, medium armor, two handed.

Daggerfall Covenant loyalist
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

True—here’s another real world example: my older sister was two years older than the youngest of our aunts. My mother and my grandmother were having children at the same time. My mum was in her early 20s and my gran was in her early 40s.

So in a population with longer lifespans and reproductive years, things could indeed get very confusing.
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    Lore is whatever they want it to be. Have you never seen a history fact to be found incorrect later as more was discovered?

Get over it.

don't be edgy teen plz

This is a logic contradiction in game, and such mistakes serve literally nothing to the game
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(Also there is the problem with Septima, Clivia and Euraxia's relation, they can't be sisters tho Septima refer them as sisters in the letter and mentioned "father" like they share one, which they can't actually share one since Euraxia is Clivia's young aunt)

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle

Just cause Euraxia is younger doesn't mean she'll age in a certain way. There are people are in their 50s and look like they are 30. And vice versa