The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Play to lose was a bad category name choice

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It gives it a negative connotation when something like novelty would be better.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a joke, riffing on "Pay to Win." Given that the only outright weapons and armor you can buy via the Crown Store are the bucket and broom, it's appropriate.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It made me chuckle. It was, I assume, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the complaints of PTW I always see on the forums.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    It made me chuckle. It was, I assume, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the complaints of PTW I always see on the forums.

😂 Thats a different perspective. I was just thinking it's bad way to sell item not as a joke phrase.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It made more sense when it was the bucket and broom - because people had always said if they sold actual weapons and armour in the crown store it would be pay to win, then they sold ones which are weaker than almost everything you can get in-game.

It's kind of similar with the hobby horse mounts - they're not a real mount so if you use them you'll be running slower than everyone else so you're actually paying for a disadvantage.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a joke on Pay 2 Win as the previous time it came around it sold items which were terrible, as it is again this time.

My terrible I mean as a mechanical choice in builds, not in quality.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ?
  • Myrkgrav
    Myrkgrav
    ✭✭✭✭
    Issa joke.
    Morty | ♂ | @morti_macabre | PC NA | EST
    Member of Knights of the Sanguine, Sheogorath's Mortals & Sword Coast Traders
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    BretonMage wrote: »

😂 Thats a different perspective. I was just thinking it's bad way to sell item not as a joke phrase.

Personally I found it pleasing. It's little things like that which make me look at ZOS in a different light, knowing they have a sense of humour.
    "Pay to lose" category in the crown store was actually brilliant, and made me chuckle when I saw it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guffawed when I first saw that category name. In fact, the only reason I bought the Bucket and Broom was the name of the category
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's entirely appropriate, and very well thought out too. Not only is it a jokey play on "pay to win" it is also a very good description of what you are buying - something that is significantly worse than any of the standard items which are available for free in the game.

PC EU
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    It gives it a negative connotation when something like novelty would be better.

Considering the usually instant "ZOS put stuff in the crown store so the stuff is pay to win" threads that crop up on a regular basis, and the kerfuffle the first time they put the broom/mop and pot helm in the store, "Pay to Lose" is a really good idea.
  • caesarvs
    caesarvs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Useful and interesting post Tasear, as always! Keep them coming.

This!!!!
  • Sanctuary_Reaper
    Sanctuary_Reaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know some people need a humour transplant at times.

Clear and obvious jokey section, made me laugh.
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Useful and interesting post Tasear, as always! Keep them coming.

Insightful.
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the bucket and broom from that category will be brought back?
    Would really love to get my hands on them, didn't have any crowns lying around when they came out initially. <3
    Edited by Saturnana on March 22, 2019 2:12PM
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a joke, riffing on "Pay to Win." Given that the only outright weapons and armor you can buy via the Crown Store are the bucket and broom, it's appropriate.

You can buy whatever can be bought at all via the crown store however. Let's say you want to buy powerful weapon X that is not in the crown store, via the crown store. So you will buy crowns, spend them on gifts in exchange for gold and then buy X with gold. Here you go, you just got X for $ via the crown store.
    That way, ZOS can profit from weapon/armor RMTs without openly embracing them.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on March 22, 2019 2:51PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »

You can buy whatever can be bought at all via the crown store however. Let's say you want to buy powerful weapon X that is not in the crown store, via the crown store. So you will buy crowns, spend them on gifts in exchange for gold and then buy X with gold. Here you go, you just got X for $ via the crown store.

I suppose...except that due to BOP, the only weapons you can buy with gold obtained through Crown Gifting are exactly the same weapons you could buy with gold obtained through pretty much anything else in the game. Or you could just farm them yourself from easily accessible overland zones. At that point, meh? Even DLC Dungeon/trial gear, which is BOP and locked behind a Crown store purchase/gift, is not directly sold in the Crown Store as you have to run the content to obtain it.

"Pay to Win" is an objection to the practice of placing more powerful weapons/armor in the cash shop where they are only available to people who pay for them. Thus the "Pay To Lose" category is a joke about that concept because the weapons/armor tsold is far inferior to what you can obtain in game.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It describe/categorize the stick mount accurately.

Its definitely pay to lose.

I still baught it though.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no, you bought it with gold from the guild stores (like you mentioned 5 words before) ?!

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the same with the stick mounts who don't give extra speed.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit i loved the boldness 😈
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty funny. I was actually quite pleased when I returned to the game and saw that ZoS had grown a sense of humor in my absence
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2dc9fb51c74695972550b832de4a9e65-e1469660972167.jpg
    :p;)
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2dc9fb51c74695972550b832de4a9e65-e1469660972167.jpg
    :p;)

🤣 I am going to save this.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose...except that due to BOP, the only weapons you can buy with gold obtained through Crown Gifting are exactly the same weapons you could buy with gold obtained through pretty much anything else in the game. Or you could just farm them yourself from easily accessible overland zones. At that point, meh? Even DLC Dungeon/trial gear, which is BOP and locked behind a Crown store purchase/gift, is not directly sold in the Crown Store as you have to run the content to obtain it.

Sure, because that way ZOS and players alike can pretend they are selling/buying content, not gear.
    "Pay to Win" is an objection to the practice of placing more powerful weapons/armor in the cash shop where they are only available to people who pay for them. Thus the "Pay To Lose" category is a joke about that concept because the weapons/armor tsold is far inferior to what you can obtain in game.

Again, as long as players are willing to pretend to be naive enough to go along with that definition, because presence of superior gear than may be obtained without paying does not matter. If effortless cash shop gear is simply better than what you have, by buying it you get power that is literally unavailable to you without paying. Or, in other words, you buy an advantage over otherwise similar players who did not pay.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on March 31, 2019 12:41PM
  • Living_Ded
    Living_Ded
    ✭✭✭
    An altogether hilarious choice of category name. I chuckled when I clicked on it. :D
    @LivingDed
    necro healer, warden healer, templar healer, stam/magblade
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was both clever and hilarious. And believe me, I rarely get a laugh from the Crown store.