The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What happened to the "dark magic"? Did the "dark crystallization" knowledge lost?

L0rdV1ct0r
L0rdV1ct0r
✭✭✭
Hello. I an a huge fan of elder scrolls. Have 450 hours only of morrowind, at first din't liked much ESO but looks like the game is much better now. Still like some aspects of older games, like in depth attributes, chances of spell failure while casting very powerful spells, etc. But one thing that i din't understood in ESO is "dark magic".

For those who din't played previous elder scrolls games, you can argue that most sorcerer daedra summoning skils are similar to "conjuraiton" magic school. with the big difference that no skill can conjure an weapon/armor. And that most "storm calling", similar to lighting destruction magic. But what about "dark magic"? Dark Exchange for example "materializes" crystals that take out your stamina in order to give magicka and health. Crystal shards materializes an crystal and trow it into the enemy. And daedric minefield, you can argue that is similar to "rune" spells, but i don't see anything similar to "dark crystal" spells on later games.

Since ESO happens much time before the first game, how did this magical knowledge got lost? And no one mentioned it on future books?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did this magical knowledge get lost? In the same way as Levitation perhaps. Or maybe Vanus Galerion decided he just didn't like it. Or when Talos lights the Dragon Fires again and strengthens the veil between Nirn and Oblivion the spells become impossible to cast. There's lots of reasons why it might happen, but I've never seen anything about it in any lore books.

PC EU
  • L0rdV1ct0r
    L0rdV1ct0r
    ✭✭✭
    How did this magical knowledge get lost? In the same way as Levitation perhaps. Or maybe Vanus Galerion decided he just didn't like it. Or when Talos lights the Dragon Fires again and strengthens the veil between Nirn and Oblivion the spells become impossible to cast. There's lots of reasons why it might happen, but I've never seen anything about it in any lore books.

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. But any source saying that dark magic uses oblivion energy?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    L0rdV1ct0r wrote: »

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. But any source saying that dark magic uses oblivion energy?

The in-game descriptions for Dark Magic spells mention Daedric shards and Daedric mines. From the context it seems pretty clear that "Dark" means it's all being pulled in from Oblivion.
    PC EU
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems more like summoning , conjuration and mysticism. You can use all sorts of magic to explain it
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because its new. New game with new skills set in an old timeline. There's no getting around the fact that there will be stuff in ESO that weren't a thing in Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • L0rdV1ct0r
    L0rdV1ct0r
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Because its new. New game with new skills set in an old timeline. There's no getting around the fact that there will be stuff in ESO that weren't a thing in Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind.

I understand this. My question is if any book mentions what happened to "dark magic" from second to 3rd era.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The schools of magic that we know in later games were founded by the Mages Guild around this time hence why conjurarion in this game is called daedric summoning and soul skills are referred as just that. Dark magic could be a generalization of pulling energy from Oblivion materializing it in such way. Many if the skills that the different classes have can fall in the future schools of magic.