Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Order Should I Do ESO's Story Arcs? - A Guide

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to add that Shadows of the Hist dlc heavily hints at the Daedric War
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to start a new character (Redguard) - this is what happened:

After I lost consciousness during a cave-in in the Dragontail Mountains in the larger region of Hammerfell, I found myself in a strange ruin - a spectral image appeared before me, a woman named Oriandra ... so … I was in a cave collapse in the Valley of Blades and woke up on Summerset Isle because of a K'Tora Sea Sload !!! What a nightmare !

So I did "The Queen's Decree" followed by "The Psijics' Calling", doing "Lost at Sea" since I had to go to Wasten Coraldale …
    While I was in Alinor I did all 7 craft certifications.

Once done … I started the Vestige story line … I am now level 10.

I am now a member of the Psijic Order but … what I am doing solving issues on Summerset Isle ? This is an Aldmeri Dominion problem ... I am a member of the Daggerfall Covenant !
    I found Ciryelda, a boatswain at the Alinor docks, who took me back to the mainland ... even if it was Wayrest in Stormhaven, where a Hooded Figure advised me that I have a benefactor who wants to meet with me in Daggerfall. Azoufah, another boatswain in Wayrest, brought me to Glenumbra.

I found 5 skyshards (and even though I appreciate their effects I have no clue what they are) and 10 wayshrines on Summerset/Artaeum before leaving.
    Edited by Ashnarug on March 22, 2019 7:26PM
    During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyshards are better explained during the intro to the main quest (the quest you'll get if you listen to that Hooded Figure).
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

There really ought to be a choice to start in the original storyline.

PC/NA @GP323
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_LeamonTuttle
    There really ought to be a choice to start in the original storyline.

The original storyline arc should definitely be offered as a clear choice maybe on the character load screen? It's important to keep the storyline arc for many ESO players. The "lore is the core" should be the strong binding thread throughout the game. I feel it keeps dedicated TES fans much more immersed in our game.

An official ZOS Forum guide to How to Complete the Main Story Arc & the Daedric Wars should be clear. I hear a lot of new players (and old) frustrated by this.
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    Skyshards are better explained during the intro to the main quest (the quest you'll get if you listen to that Hooded Figure).

The prophet explains it somewhat …

Sometimes called "Shards of Aetherius", skyshards are shards of Aetherial magicka that carry the essence of Nirn. They are sometimes linked to Lorkhan, the missing God of Creation.

During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashnarug wrote: »

The prophet explains it somewhat …

Sometimes called "Shards of Aetherius", skyshards are shards of Aetherial magicka that carry the essence of Nirn. They are sometimes linked to Lorkhan, the missing God of Creation.

Yep. Spoilers for the nature of the Vestige below.
    The Vestige, a Soul Shriven, has a body made out of very daedric substances, the Chaos Creatia/Azura Plasm, in basically the same way that the daedra you are fighting are born. The Prophet calls down a skyshard so we can reattune ourselves to Nirn (created by the Aedra), allowing us escape Coldharbor and walk around freely in the rest of creation. When we as Vestiges find more Skyshards, we aren't just gaining more skill points in gameplay terms, in the lore we're strengthening our connection with Nirn and Aetherius and thus enabling ourselves to better resist Molag Bal and the effects of us not having our soul anymore.
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    Wow !

Where does the "Season of the Dragon" fits in the story arc since Abnur Tharn wants to use the "Demon Weapon" to force the three alliances to sit at a peace table to end the Three Banners War ?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashnarug wrote: »
    Wow !

Where does the "Season of the Dragon" fits in the story arc since Abnur Tharn wants to use the "Demon Weapon" to force the three alliances to sit at a peace table to end the Three Banners War ?

So this may be different depending on whether or not you've done the Main Quest. I did the Prologue on a character who'd conpleted the Main Quest and so Tharn briefly acknowledged that I was the Vestige. I haven't done it on a "non-vestige" character to see what he says.

However, its definitely after the Main Quest because...seriously, if you haven't done the MQ and don't want spoilers, don't click the spoiler.
    in the MQ, Abnur Tharn wound up working for Mannimarco after the Planemeld happened and then was imprisoned/more like house arrest by the Worm Cultand you get to break him out so he can join your little band. He's not free to be running around trying to stop the war until Mannimarco is dealt with.

Edited to add: I thought of a another chronology hiccup. Spoiler for AD Malabal Tor and Reapers March:
    There's a place where an NPC comments on the current Mane. I'm uncertain whether that changes based on whether or not you've done the AD Reaper's March Questline.

Edited to correct the above: according to Hauteecole_Rider16 the NPC comment DOES update according to your choice!
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 17, 2019 3:36PM
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my take on Orsinium/Wrothgar is:
    • King Kurog, a/the central character, has a backstory in Rivenspire. So ideally you do Rivenspire before Rivenspire.
    • There's at least one easter egg there timed for after you've done the main quest (Coldharbour, Molag Bal, etc.) but before both the Gold Coast and Summerset. But it's really minor.
    • The only recurring characters I recall are Kireth & Raynor Vanos, and Narsis Dren.

I'd note that there are a bunch of recurring characters in the game overall whose main function is to be involved with (and often give) side quests; examples include Kireth & Raynor Vanos, Narsis Dren, Neramo, Telenger, Lady Laurent & Stibbens, and more. It's not terribly practical or important to try to line up their quests in order. Generally the nature of these quests is either:
    • Aid them in their research.
    • Help them survive their research. :)

That said:
    • There are two natural starting points for Neramo: Stros M'Kai (regional main quest line) and Morrowind (public dungeon).
    • The most natural starting point for Lady Laurent & Stibbens is probably in Glenumbra.
    • The most natural starting point for the Vanos siblings IMO is probably in Wrothgar, but for them the order hardly matters.
    • Narsis Dren is actually introduced in the emails you get from your first blacksmithing hireling. But those might be even funnier if you'd already met him elsewhere in the game.
    • Neramo and the Vanos siblings are involved early in the Clockwork City main quest line.

Skordo the Knife and Bumnog also make an appearance in Wrothgar.

I also think that you should do Naryu's Gold Coast quests before doing Morrowind
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Ryknos
    Ryknos
    ✭✭✭
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    I would make an addition to the "in whatever order you want": The Wrathstone DLC

as long as they have been done prior to starting the Season of the Dragon... :/ forgot ! there will be a new tutorial for new characters...

anyhow, I would also do Orsinium after the main storyline and before the Deadric Wars... if we could get Stuga to stay in one place like the other questgivers instead of running after us.

And Murkmire should also be added to the section of the whenever you feel like it ;)
    Edited by Ashnarug on May 4, 2019 10:26AM
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They really screw up the story for new players by starting them in the newest "Chapter"

For example I started a new character with the Summerset story arc. Then meet Darien who says he knows me and talks like we are comrades. Then later I meet him in Coldharbour and watch him get sucked into the vortex. Then in a book in Wrothgar he's asking for help from some other plane. Then I meet him in the Daggerfall Covenant starter zone and he's all like "I don't know you, but let's be gay together." Nothing wrong with him calling me "beautiful" of course - just sayin.
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saving this for future reference
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for the Season of the Dragon, which is probably the most chronologically/gameplay-wise mismatched story arc yet, if you want to play the whole story from start to finish. At least Wrathstone isn't actually required to know what's going on, but I really feel for the brand-new players who are going to miss out on the Elsweyr Prologue quest.

I have not played any quests on the PTS, so I may have to update this further once I actually start playing Elsweyr next week.
  • Hauteecole_Rider16
    Hauteecole_Rider16
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a wonderful and informative guide - I am considering starting a new toon and this will be helpful for the story continuity.

I’ve seven toons already, four started in the base game (pre-Morrowind) and three started in Vvardenfell. I’ve done the Elsweyr prologue now with two toons, both of which have completed the AD quest line - I’ve noticed the current Mane referenced is the Lunar Champion chosen by the player as Moon Hallowed. One chose Khali, the other chose Shezaar, and the NPC dialogue reflects that toon’s choice. I hope this helps clarify that question!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a wonderful and informative guide - I am considering starting a new toon and this will be helpful for the story continuity.

I’ve seven toons already, four started in the base game (pre-Morrowind) and three started in Vvardenfell. I’ve done the Elsweyr prologue now with two toons, both of which have completed the AD quest line - I’ve noticed the current Mane referenced is the Lunar Champion chosen by the player as Moon Hallowed. One chose Khali, the other chose Shezaar, and the NPC dialogue reflects that toon’s choice. I hope this helps clarify that question!

Thank you! I'll update that post with your answer.
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 17, 2019 3:36PM
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say thanks for this post.

My first open world video game was morrowind and I've finally decided to try out eso, nice to have this list. The irony is I never did do the main questline in morrowind but this time I'm going to try and do much of the main quests in order.
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    I created a Stam Necromancer then I started the story like this:

Fredas, 4 Rain's Hand 2e582 Midday

Tutorial "Bright Moons, Warm Sands"

Master Groom Zarbi'dahuz, Stablemaster of Riverhold, offered me a Rahd-m'Athra mount that he has, unfortunately, no time to bring back to full health

Returning to Daggerfall to start the Vestige story line

Room to Spare (Homestead DLC) - Felande Demarie - a room at the »Rosy Lion Inn« in Daggerfall

Fighter's Guild 1: Basile Fenandre's Invitation

Crafting Certifications

Found a funny little crystal shard near the gate of Daggerfall, touching it made me fell alive. Found out later that they have been appearing all across Nirn since late First Seed

Met my benefactor and ended up in Coldharbour where I met the Prophet.

Darn ! I lost 16 days in that forsaken dungeon !

This way I can do Wrathstone and the two Elsweyr Prologue once I reach level 45 and done the "The Tharn Speaks" (The Prophet quest 6).

The toon I had created after the release of Summerset had gone for the Jewelry Certification and the membership to the Psijic Order but I guess this time it can wait.

Edited by Ashnarug on June 18, 2019 12:15PM
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s great you made this thread. Done a better job than ZOS!
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for this post. I finally decided to get this game when it was on sale a few months ago, and soon got the sense that starting out my "main questing" in Morrowind was not necessarily what I wanted. This weekend, I finally completed Cadwell's Gold and started Orsinium.

I recently pointed some guild members at this post, too, and was happy to see that it had been updated.
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • Crapgame
    Crapgame
    ✭✭✭
    Although you explain to do the main quest and alliance quest simultaneously isn't there some proper way to do the quests once you get to Messages across Tamriel or does it not matter?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crapgame wrote: »
    Although you explain to do the main quest and alliance quest simultaneously isn't there some proper way to do the quests once you get to Messages across Tamriel or does it not matter?

Messages Across Tamriel is a little strange because the questgiver can trigger from hitting the appropriate part in the Main Quest or from finishing your faction questline.

The chronological way to do it is to simultaneously finish the Main Quest up to Messages and finish your faction quest line. Messages can be given by your faction leader after you've finished the final zone of their alliance.

So, Messages Across Tamriel is then the next step for both questlines, as you speak to your Alliance leader and the others to organize an assault on Coldharbor.

The Main Quest cannot progress until you've completed this assault, whereupon the final stage of the MQ becomes available.

So basically,
    1st Alliance + Main Quest (which will naturally pause at Messages)
    Messages Across Tamriel
    Coldharbor
    Finish Main Quest
    Start Cadwell's Silver/Gold

Now if you meant Cadwell's Silver and Gold, it doesn't really matter which one you do first. It used to matter before One Tamriel only because the zones were leveled, but for an EP player it doesnt matter if you experience DC or AD first, for example.

Hope that helps!
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So what if I really miss or want to have the pre-One Tamriel Questing Experience?

1. Start a new character and wayshrine to your Alliance's Starter City
    2. Accept the Main Quest from the Hooded Figure
    3. Complete your Alliance's Main quest in order alongside the Fighters and Mages guild quests for that zone, and the Harborage quests for the Main Questline. Originally the Main Quest progressed at every 5 levels, but now its not necessary to wait.
    4. Coldharbor Questline is the prerequisite for completing the Main Questline.
    5. Having completed the Main Questline, accept Cadwell's Silver and Gold to experience the other Alliance questlines.
    6. Experience the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial City, Orsinium, and Murkmire DLCs and Craglorn, in whatever order you want.
    7. Begin the Daedric Wars plotline with Morrowind -> Clockwork City-> Summerset.
    8. Do the two Wrathstone dungeons, the Elsweyr Prologue quest, and then Elsweyr.

Its entirely possible to have a great and fullfilling questing experience running around doing everything in whatever order you want. Its an Elder Scrolls game in that regard. If, on the other hand, you want to experience the coherent, cohesive, immersive storyline of the Elder Scrolls Online that spans the entire continent for the first time since TES: Arena, following the chronology of the original pre-One Tamriel ESO through the threat of the Planemeld, into the rising threat of the Daedric Wars, and now facing the rage of dragons is one of the best ways to do so.

I hope you have fun questing through ESO's story arcs!

This is incredible! I'm really into having the linear story experience - it's annoying enough that I don't have Soul Shriven in Coldharbour as a tutorial quest, but this is a great way to go through.

Many thanks for the tips!
  • ArialBurnz
    ArialBurnz
    Soul Shriven
    VileIntent wrote: »
    Or just go to Alkir Dolmens :)

Doing this makes you miss an extreme amount of skill points. Besides being absolutely boring.

I'm assuming you mean the quests give you skill points, too, so I would have to agree with you on this. I've only been playing ESO for a couple of years, so I don't know everything about how the questing and leveling system works.

However, I have learned from my own experience that you can do the quests at any level and the higher my level, the more I have to enjoy since I have more spells to work with AND I've learned to use my character's abilities.

The Dolmens are indeed a great place to grind and level up quickly. Not just for leveling and XP, but for the decent beginning gear you get from the drops and the chest. I usually grind my toons up to level 15 at the Dolmens so I have the flexibility to switch weapons when I start out on the quests. The Dolmens gives me a chance to level each one of my spells/abilities since I can spam them and drive up their ranks.

I am an author, so storyline is HUGE for me. Grinding my characters up at the Dolmens allows me to then enjoy the storylines with a character that has a variety of spells to use and mowing through the trash mobs is to achieve the objectives for the quests.

But maybe I'm missing something. Bottom line, I think the Dolmens are indeed a great place to grind, but not in sacrifice of doing the quests to experience the storylines. Instead, to enhance the experience.
  • ArialBurnz
    ArialBurnz
    Soul Shriven
    This write-up is aimed towards new players wondering "Where do I begin so I can experience the great stories that ZOS wrote into ESO without being completely lost?" I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as possible while explaining the rationale for quest order. If you just want a list of quests in order, I highly recommend this resource: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Quests

This whole post was extremely helpful and I'm thrilled to have a guide I can follow. Even though I've done a lot of the quests, there are so much more to explore and I have been wanting to see them all in chronological order. Thank you for this!!

What if I want to roleplay a vampire/werewolf?
    The shrines for vampire and werewolf are found in the Rift, Reaper's March, and Bangkorai. You can hunt for NPC mobs of werewolves and bloodfiends or you can do what I did and ask for a bite in zone chat. Many players will give a bite for free. I got mine quickly by offering to pay for it. If you want to cure this affliction, there is an NPC in the Mages Guild in Riften, Evermore, or Rawl'kha in those zones who will cure you for about 600 gold.

I've already made a comment in this thread about the Dolmens - regarding using them as a place to grind in response to another player's comments. I'm all in favor of enjoying the storylines, so grinding is only a means to an end as far as I'm concerned (see other comment).

I will make additional comments about the Vampire affliction in connection to roleplay and the Dolmens: I was bitten by another player and learned how INSANELY difficult it is to level the vampire abilities AND the fact that you only get 1 ability to start with - Drain Essence. (Here's a great guide for complete list of vampire skills: [url="http://"]https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Vampire+Skills[/url]). Just to get to Rank 2, you need 89k xp!!

That level of XP for the vampire rank is CRAZY and completely unbalanced compared to the other skills in the game. At least as far as my experience goes, that's my opinion. Just to unlock the second active ability, you need Rank 3. Getting from Rank 2 to 3 is over 95k and Rank 3-4 is over 100k!! DOLMENS TO THE RESCUE.

And specifically, the Dolmens at Vulkhel Guard.

Here, I was grinding the regular XP of my character (which also advances the vampire rank in general) and, at the same time, spamming my vampire ability on the rapidly dying mobs at the circle. This of course advances me very quickly through the vampire stages, making my character weaker by the minute. BUT between each of the Dolmen cycles, I hopped on my mount and dashed down to the beach to sneak up behind and feed on the smugglers. This would not only give me practice at my feeding technique for roleplay, it put me back to Vampirism Stage 1. Grinding this way back and forth between the Dolmens and the beach feeding, I perfected my vampire abilities, leveling them up through their ranks and learning to use them as well as advancing my character.

It took me to Level 20 to get my vampire rank to 5, which allowed me to unlock my Ultimate ability - Bat Swarm. NOW I have all my active vampire abilities (only 3) plus a few passive vampire abilities and I can weave them into my other class abilities. She is a Templar Healer Vampire. I'm loving her!

I will say spending the Crowns on the Skyshards I've unlocked for several zones is worth the money in getting skill points to put into my vampire tree. I do this for my Nightblade Assassin to take advantage of the Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood trees. It sure makes using these characters a lot easier for roleplay when I have all the abilities at my disposal! It makes enjoying the storylines that much more fun!
    Its entirely possible to have a great and fullfilling questing experience running around doing everything in whatever order you want. Its an Elder Scrolls game in that regard. If, on the other hand, you want to experience the coherent, cohesive, immersive storyline of the Elder Scrolls Online that spans the entire continent for the first time since TES: Arena, following the chronology of the original pre-One Tamriel ESO through the threat of the Planemeld, into the rising threat of the Daedric Wars, and now facing the rage of dragons is one of the best ways to do so.

I hope you have fun questing through ESO's story arcs!

Here here!! Until this post, that's exactly what I was doing and it's so wonderful to know that it's not too late to enjoy the storylines no matter what level you are. I will use this guide to go back and fill in the blanks for those characters I have that have already done many of this out of order, but my vampire character will start at the beginning and chronologically enjoy the stories for a complete experience!

Thank you for this great guide!

Arial :D

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ArialBurnz

Thanks for taking the time to add your impressions of leveling as a vampire! It sounds to me like leveling as a werewolf is much easier as the skill line is leveled by killing things in werewolf form.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread should be stickies/pinned at the top of the sub forum! I just started the game in Elsweyr (though I sent two characters to Morrowind and Summerset to do those quest lines) and am feeling like there are things I am missing, such as what Caldwell is. I get the feeling that my character knows but I am confused — he’s neither a reanimated corpse nor a ghost so what is a “soul shriven”?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    This thread should be stickies/pinned at the top of the sub forum! I just started the game in Elsweyr (though I sent two characters to Morrowind and Summerset to do those quest lines) and am feeling like there are things I am missing, such as what Caldwell is. I get the feeling that my character knows but I am confused — he’s neither a reanimated corpse nor a ghost so what is a “soul shriven”?

In general, Soul Shriven are the remnants of individuals who were sacrificed to Molag Bal. When their soul arrives in his realm of Coldharbor, it forms a "body" of sorts from the azure plasm, the same substance as some lesser daedra are formed of. Without their soul, these bodies rapidly decay or lose their minds and go feral, but in the meantime, Molag Bal enslaves, imprisons, and tortures them for his own amusement.

In the game, Soul Shriven are first explained in the quest given by the Hooded Figure. Wayshrine to your starting city and take that quest if you want to meet Cadwell for the "first" time. You'll learn more about Soul Shriven and about Cadwell as you progress through the Main Quest.

Otherwise, spoilers ahoy for the Hooded Figure quest.
    In the Hooded Figure quest, your character is captured and sacrificed by the Worm Cult, so Molag Bal gets your soul and you become a Soul Shriven! You'll also meet Cadwell, one of the oldest Soul Shriven who has somehow stayed sane. However, your decaying soul shriven body collapses when you try to escape Coldharbor, so the NPC you are helping calls down a Skyshard, a "fragment of Aetherius", to reattune your body to Nirn thus allowing you to escape.

This has several gameplay implications:
    Like the dremora, your soul-shriven body doesn't die permanently, allowing you to use soul gems to resurrect yourself.
    When you gather skyshards, you aren't just gaining skill points. You are literally strengthening your soul-shriven body to better fight off Molag Bal's corruption.
    A number of quests use the loophole "I don't have a soul, actually" because Molag Bal is the one who has your soul.

If you want to read more: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Soul_Shriven
  • ArialBurnz
    ArialBurnz
    Soul Shriven
    @ArialBurnz

Thanks for taking the time to add your impressions of leveling as a vampire! It sounds to me like leveling as a werewolf is much easier as the skill line is leveled by killing things in werewolf form.

My pleasure, @VaranisArano! I'm glad I could provide a little additional information, albeit from a newb's perspective.

The player who gave me the vampire bite also gave my husband's toon the werewolf bite. He had a great suggestion for the werewolf: Once the werewolf quest is complete and you get your first ability, STAY INSIDE THE ZONE WHERE YOU BECOME A WEREWOLF. This enables you to remain in your werewolf form for as long as you have the patience to grind the character and level up the werewolf abilities, especially since the mobs in this instance keep repopping. Once you leave, you will only gain XP for the werewolf when you're in the WW form...and in the regular game world, that's not for very long. (At least, that's what we've come to learn.)

In our opinion (me and my hubby), both of us thought the grind to level vampire and werewolf were pretty extensive, but in different ways.