Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Getting started with housing is daunting

• RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing the real endgame lol
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I don't go much into decorating them but I do own all of the houses in the game (that can be bought with gold). Most are simply storage spaces for furniture, paintings and decorations.

Would be good if you could hire an interior decorator - I'm sure there'd be plenty of people happy to come and do it to earn some gold B)

Yeah, but most people simply wouldn't want to pay for someone else's in-game time properly.

Realistically, you would need to be prepared to swap all the gold you made doing dungeons, dailies, selling stuff and whatever else you do while playing, for them to decorate your house for the same amount of time and I'm guessing not many people would want to do that?

It normally takes a while to acquire the mats to make items/otherwise acquire the items themselves (via multiple guld stores/farming), then it takes even more time to visualise where furnishings should be placed and then place them.

...and that's even assuming the "client" (lol) is happy to let the decorator place them where they want and/or where they have placed their own, in their own version of the home.

If the "client" had any specific requirements, that would take the decorator even longer to visualise and then realise them.

Then the decorator would have to add up the cost of all the furnishing mats/furnishings (which would probably, again, take a while to do) and add their fee.

Even if they only based their fee on what they could, otherwise, make doing other things in the game, in that space of time, I think most people would balk.

Most people just want to give people a couple of furnishing blueprints, for what might take them many hours, days, or even weeks (in some cases) to achieve.

I guess, if the decorator just kept replicating the same thing, over and over, that would cut down the time required; but, it would still be considerable in most cases.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2019 2:54PM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it like a real house. Do you buy a house and pour everything in at once? Not normally. You move in what you have then you add. Fix stuff up. Replace the old with new. Etc
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it like a real house. Do you buy a house and pour everything in at once? Not normally. You move in what you have then you add. Fix stuff up. Replace the old with new. Etc

That's the point I think got missed. In real life you can make/acquire furnishings before you get a home of your own, because you start off in a furnished home belonging to someone else. In ESO you get dropped into the world with neither, but you can't rent a furnished room, and add a few pieces of your own, to get started. You can only buy unfurnished, at a point where you can't make any significant furnishings (crates and bedroll are your limit). It's the start phase that needs work, not the one that begins when you have a few levels under your belt.

I'm not sure what that should look like, but one possibility is that the homes would have basic furnishings included - what I've referred to as the "dorm room" level. They do get lights, so why not a "common" level of bed/chair/table, that you'd want to replace? If you could deconstruct those for materials to make the better ones, that would avoid the market issue.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    It has always seemed to me that the only way to be satisfied with putting together a house is to spend lots of money in the crown store. There are so many amazing statues etc. that are crown store exclusives.

Has that been others' experience? Have you been able to put together a house you really like without buying crowns?

Smaller and medium houses - yes, absolutely.

Can make most of them very nice without any Crown purchases, at all - especially since Summerset (with the Alinor furnishings).

The bigger the house, however, the more likely it is to feel a bit disjointed and underwhelming without a few Crown Store statues and/or pergolas etc..

Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2019 3:08PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Now that the Chiminea is available, I'm going to have to rework the kitchen. :D
    When did they sneak that in? I see it's not a crafting station, like everyone wanted, and you have to buy the plan and make your own, but it's still a significant change.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Came with the last update/patch, along with the racial changes.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works amazing in the morrwind achievement tent and in my grotto ship
    mslsy9zujfsx.jpeg
    4opdgscbywqy.jpeg
    bu2y7dfae1yq.jpeg
    d1jsvdaamfjm.jpeg
    Edited by Krainor1974 on March 15, 2019 4:40PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    Housing the real endgame lol

Yeah, for people who prefer losing money to making it, lol.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

That's the point I think got missed. In real life you can make/acquire furnishings before you get a home of your own, because you start off in a furnished home belonging to someone else. In ESO you get dropped into the world with neither, but you can't rent a furnished room, and add a few pieces of your own, to get started. You can only buy unfurnished, at a point where you can't make any significant furnishings (crates and bedroll are your limit). It's the start phase that needs work, not the one that begins when you have a few levels under your belt.

I'm not sure what that should look like, but one possibility is that the homes would have basic furnishings included - what I've referred to as the "dorm room" level. They do get lights, so why not a "common" level of bed/chair/table, that you'd want to replace? If you could deconstruct those for materials to make the better ones, that would avoid the market issue.

I worker as a mover professionally and in almost 2 years I've never moved someone into a prefurnished home. Sometimes a few appliances or a basement couch lol.
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I worker as a mover professionally and in almost 2 years I've never moved someone into a prefurnished home. Sometimes a few appliances or a basement couch lol.

Heh, I was also wondering about this post. Moved this week into my new home, and can tell you it was empty, which was just the way we wanted. xD. Today, we also had to deliver our old home to the new buyers empty of all our stuff. The seller can try to sell some of their furniture to the buyer if both parties can agree upon a price, but usually, where I'm from, when you buy a home it is pretty empty, just like when you buy a home in ESO with gold.

Some of the houses you can rent, are pre-furnished, but also that is very rare.

And funny enough, we did pour everything in our house at once. All the belongings from our old house + some extra furniture from our local Ikea. ;-)
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tigerseye I think the crash in the furnishing market was due to a lot of players either finishing the homes they wanted to decorate or finally getting all the plans they wanted to craft things themselves. So, not as many buyers for the finished product and thus the increase in the furnishing mats, as players found they couldn't sell the furnishings for a decent profit, but they could sell the mats.

Purely a guess, but it seems like as good a hypothesis as any. Possibly also why the prices of furnishing plans have gone up (on XB NA, at least).

It does make it much cheaper for a new player to furnish a home, though, as they can buy a lot of furnishings from guild traders for a lot less.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone who doesn't have any furniture doesn't need a mover, do they?

• Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I have experienced it, getting the right housing setup is just a matter of time. You just need to take your focus off having to get there more quickly, however it can help of course if you look up some ideas to get specific items like those for achievements.

You will eventually get there, keep doing master writs and be patient. It's the first, small steps that get remembered the most, so enjoy rather than despair in the light of what you see from others. Find your own style, I got my best ideas that others appreciated aswell, through staying away from any influence.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Join a housing guild like Hearthlight. They are awesomely helpful and you can get recipes, often dirt cheap through their guild store or even free and/or equal value trade in the guild bank. Make the things you can that are your basic cornerstones and are usually green or blue plans. For the crazy gold stuff you are usually better off to just buy the finished item than to try to acquire the plan and make it yourself.

Are they pc na by chance?
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very new to housing and have yet to acquire my first actual house (not an inn room or apartment). When you are first starting out you have to be creative, especially if you don't want to spend real money in the crown store. I have yet to find a plan for an attractive room divider that the person selling it doesn't want an arm and a leg for. So when I want a wall or divider I make a carpet and turn it on its side. There are lots of plain carpets that you can buy the plans for cheap. I had no idea there were housing guilds. I may have to find and join one. Any suggestions for Xbox NA?