Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Anybody know how I can best get the Nirnhoned trait for my bows?

Nave_Horsespitoon
I need/want the last trait for my bows so that I can make them at set stations. I have not come across anything nirnhoned yet. I do have 50 transmute gems though!?

Best Answers

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get Nirnhoned gear from the final quest in Craglorn I think, you only get 1 piece per character.

The rest is a swap/sell/trade/barter system. If you let people know what platform/server you are on someone may offer to help with making one for you to research.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Answer ✓
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy what you need from a guild trader and research that piece. You can't transmute unless you have the trait researched.
    shades.gif
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above advice is good. Only thing I'd add is that the nirnhone trait materials are not cheap. You can get the one for weapons by farming critters in Craglorn. If you can farm your own trait item and you know a crafter who can make nirnhoned, offer to send them your trait material so they can make you a nirnhoned bow to research - that way it costs your crafter friend nothing but a couple minutes.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 12, 2019 4:31PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Above advice is good. Only thing I'd add is that the nirnhone trait materials are not cheap. You can get the one for weapons by farming critters in Craglorn. If you can farm your own trait item and you know a crafter who can make nirnhoned, offer to send them your trait material so they can make you a nirnhoned bow to research - that way it costs your crafter friend nothing but a couple minutes.

Cheap/Expensive is relative. Most I paid for a nirnhoned item was 10K. Usually can find them for around 4K. 10K is not that much for someone who has got to the point they want nirnhoned (I'm assuming CP 160) weapons.
    Answer ✓
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get the one for weapons by farming critters in Craglorn.

That's one way, but it needs a bit of clarification. Nirncrux drops only in Craglorn. You can't gather it anywhere else. It drops from Metal ores and seams, Cloth plants, Critters that drop leather, and Wood Logs. It does not drop from Alchemy plants, Runestones, or Provisioning sources. Both types, Fortified and Potent, drop from the same nodes, and Fortified is four times more common than Potent - presumably because there are a lot more armours than weapons. Both rates are low - something like 2% for the more common Fortified, and half a percent for the Potent.

You can gather it at any character/crafting level, but the critters are going to be tough for a low-level character, especially as they're usually in packs. However, there are unaggressive creatures that also drop it, and I've had Potent Nirncrux drop from a Flax plant next to the road, so hunting welwa isn't needed. Most of mine has come from (Blacksmith/Clothier/Woodworker) surveys in Craglorn, but be aware that some of these are in dangerous locations.

Edited by ghastley on March 12, 2019 4:19PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jewelry nodes in Craglorn also drop nirncrux.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to have it learned before you can transmute it, sadly.

If you have a potent nirncrux or can find/farm one, you can ask for someone in your guilds to make you a bow with nirnhoned trait so you can learn it... after you learnt it, you can then transmute your bow with no need of having extra nirncrux stones.

Another option, as said is to buy the bow from some trade guilds... they're often go for about 13 to 16K gold (PC/NA) atm, other platforms will have different prices ofc.

If you NA/PC I can make it for you for free, I mean just for the nirn stone in exchange, that is.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Nave_Horsespitoon
    Oh cool, I did not know how the transmute station worked. Good to know. Thank you.
    I haven't found a trader with any nirnhoned paraphernalia. Plus I dont have very much coin. Which makes it more difficult. Prices right now on everything seems crazy to me.
    News flash!
    I finally found a bow in... ah shoot I forgot the name of the town, but anyway I did find a plain Jane maple bow that had been nirnhoned. So now I have to wait like 40 days to finish researching it! At the same town the vendors had both types of nirncrux for sale, for quite a bit of coin.
    Thanks to everyone, you all had great ideas and information. As far as handling Craglorn, I am cp180+ so I can hold my own pretty much against wildlife. Now 6-7 attacker’s with powerful weapons, I start to have trouble! LOL
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nirncrux is free if you are prepared to harvest supply nodes in Craglorn, I have over 100 Fortified and 30+ potent and have never bought any.

People who know what they want when they start trait research usually research these, and other desired traits, first and do the useless traits last - not me, when I started research I didn't know why I was doing it.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally found a bow in... ah shoot I forgot the name of the town, but anyway I did find a plain Jane maple bow that had been nirnhoned. So now I have to wait like 40 days to finish researching it! At the same town the vendors had both types of nirncrux for sale, for quite a bit of coin.
    Yes, you can find items that are specifically made for research, but they won't be common. I suspect that this was made on request for someone who turned out not to need it, rather than speculatively, as Nirncrux isn't cheap, unless you gather your own. It's much more common to send the Nirncrux to a guildmate who then returns a maple/homespun/iron example for you to research.

You can certainly gather Nirncrux before you can use it. It will appear (at a low random rate) for any character who goes foraging in Craglorn. However, many of the nodes are in places a low-level character may not wish to visit. Others are right next to the roads, which are totally safe.