The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help! Problem With 'Ancestral Honor Garments' Looking Soaked and Shiny

Anumaril
Anumaril
✭✭✭✭✭
When I first got the costume it looked good and perfectly dry, but now it looks utterly soaked and wet as if I just got out of a river two minutes ago. It has been so long since I've had this problem it takes a bit of time to think back to when the change occurred, but I think I remember it being when I jumped into a body of water in game and came out looking wet. I figured it would wear off but it never did and I'm still living with it to this day.

It is definitely not the dyes either. I have tried removing all dyes from the costume to revert it back to its original state but nothing changes, I'm only left with the original costume looking soaked as well (which it is not supposed to). I've tried applying all the dyes I have available on my character to see if any of the non-shiny ones would somehow override the shiny-ness that the costume currently displays, but to no avail.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem with the costume, or if anyone knows a solution to this problem.

Below I've got screenshots of what I look like with my shiny costume, as well as what an NPC looks like with it on, and I also included a screenshot of another player I found on google which shows you what the costume looks like right out of the box. Neither the NPC nor the player character have any visible shine or wetness on their costume. You can see on the NPC and the other player's screenshot that there is a soft glow on the outfit from the sun/moon respectively, but there is no wet looking texture on either of them, no shiny reflections, just a soft glow which is to be expected:

Ancestral-Honor-Garments-Female-Close-Front.jpg?ssl=1
vT4nuRd.jpg
6sYRQ0P.jpg
UbyBmsY.jpg
c9qluA1.jpg
Edited by Anumaril on March 13, 2019 10:58AM
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this as well and my Altmer has stopped wearing his. Shame, really. Too much shiny.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The costume itself is slightly shiny (I can't remember the wording but this is mentioned in the description), but it also depends on the dye you used because some dyes have a glossy or metallic texture - Viridian Venom, Epic Violet and Superior Blue for example. Finally the lighting plays a part of course, because bright or direct light will reflect more, but you can't control that beyond taking screenshots in places with lighting you like.

So try switching the dye you've used on it and see if you can find one which isn't so shiny.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the dye. Some look shiny and some don't regardless of the material they're used on. I actually prefer the shiny look and am disappointed when one looks dull. I'll change the color because of it, I want the cloth to look more like silk than cotton.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some dyes definitely have a shine, but with this specific costume it does not matter what kind of dye you have as it will look glossy all the same. I went through every dye in my library and specifically used the ones I knew were not shiny, yet the costume still ended up having that wet look regardless.

I also don't think it is just lighting as you can notice the very obvious gloss on the costume no matter where you are or what lighting you stand under. I stood right next to that NPC and there is a very obvious difference between our outfits despite there being identical lighting. This did not change even when removing all the dyes from the costume and doing the same comparison, the gloss was still there.

The problem is especially noticeable with the undyed version because there are a lot of screenshots of people who have on the undyed original costume and for them the material actually looks like dry cloth, not wet plastic.
    Edited by Anumaril on March 13, 2019 6:37PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Check the dye
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Praxis mandates fine silk shirtings when attending our weekly Ancestral Homage ceremonies," says designer Estinwe of Shimmerene, "Show pride in your heritage with this shimmering update of a classic, time-tested pattern."

The costume replicates the gaudiness of a silk shirt probably the best that the engine could. But it also mimics the iridescence you'd see on something like snake scales which is why it could also be interpreted as wet or slimy.
    signing off
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    Some dyes definitely have a shine, but with this specific costume it does not matter what kind of dye you have as it will look glossy all the same. I went through every dye in my library and specifically used the ones I knew were not shiny, yet the costume still ended up having that wet look regardless.

I also don't think it is just lighting as you can notice the very obvious gloss on the costume no matter where you are or what lighting you stand under. I stood right next to that NPC and there is a very obvious difference between our outfits despite there being identical lighting. This did not change even when removing all the dyes from the costume and doing the same comparison, the gloss was still there.

The problem is especially noticeable with the undyed version because there are a lot of screenshots of people who have on the undyed original costume and for them the material actually looks like dry cloth, not wet plastic.
    Generally the common dyes are no shiny while the higher ranking tend to be more shiny.
    Yes its also depend on the underlying material
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most dyes look like that on this costume. It's naturally shiny, for some horrid reason. It would have been a gorgeous costume if they hadn't done that to it. I hate it when they make the costumes shiny no matter what dye you put on them.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems that the NPC outfit is simply different and not available to us players, or he uses a dye that I do not know of yet.
    Regardless, I will be continuing to use the costume even if it looks glossy as it is a really good casual Altmer outfit.