Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help me decide on which house to buy first

Shagreth
Shagreth
✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings,

I am a returning player, haven't played in years and I must say, I am a bit overwhelmed. However, the ESO community is simply great, so I keep getting help left and right. So cheers for that. I am (finally) going to buy a house, I have a bunch of crowns and 1.6mil ready to be blown away.

My three choices based on 1) Atmosphere, 2) Convenience (location, writs etc.) for me the most atmospheric which matches my character (dunmer vampire NB) would be the Sanctuary in gold coast. Sadly no writ boards at all in the general vicinity, but hey, at least some dailies that I find myself doing often. Deshaan is amazing because it rains, a lot. BUT NO INTERIOR SOUND FOR RAIN @ZOS_GinaBruno :( . Please? Anyway, it's great and has big potential for a gothic-y house for my vampire. Talking about the indorilia one, even though I know that the smaller one has better value, I simply love the entrance & yard of the indorilia. Last but not least -- Vvanderfell, Vivec is great for crafting and the music itself simply gives me the chills, I grew up modding for Morrowind and generally playing the hell out of it, so yeah, there's that. Sadly the Velothi tower is out of the picture, so I'm torn between the Amaya and the Velothi one.

Anyone still here? Ok, just need general suggestions and experience of people owing these houses, tips, other suggestions.. whatever. Oh, and a question, does it rain often in Vvanderfell?

p.s. ebonheart chateau looks good, too, but I haven't checked it out in detail.

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Velothie Reverie in Narsis, Deshaan. It is large enough to have individual rooms you can dedicate to a single purpose but not so large you will have problems making it look full. You have to port to Mournhold to get to all of the crafting and Undaunted boards but I also own a Flaming Nix Deluxe Garret that I use as a port terminus to get there. It has an outdoor courtyard so plenty of opportunity to go sit in the rain if that is what you like. The cost for both is a bit under 350K gold so would leave you plenty of gold for a decent start on decorating.
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would totally suggest Sleek Creek house. It's very beautiful, and since it is in Rawlkha, it is very short walk from everything you need.
    Actually, the Alinor Townhouse can be quite atmospheric too depending on the decor and it is close to everything you need, being situated in Summerset main city. Though I agree that Velothie Reverie or Amaya Lake are just better looking houses in general, though you will be living in the sticks

P.S. I don't think there is a difference in rain frequency in different areas (excluding snow and desert ones, which have snowstorms and sandstorms instead), because the weather is serverwide (unless you switch world instances).
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 13, 2019 5:50PM
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame you didn't come back soon enough to get Tel Galen, it's my personal favorite as a huge Morrowind fan. The Velothi Harbor House is very nice though. It's decent sized and you furnish it pretty well with the furniture cap it has. Plus you can hear the rain in it. A lot of the large homes tend to feel kind of empty due to the furniture caps, so I'd take that into consideration before buying anything. The Erstwhile Sanctuary is a bit buggy from what I've read on here. People have problems with the lights dimming and a few have had furniture disappear from it. Ebonheart Chateau is pretty nice, but a bit too open and large for me. The rumbling of the volcano nearby is pretty nice ambiance though.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Velothie Reverie is quite cool and I might consider it. Sleek Creek I don't dig that much for some reason, same for Alinor Townhouse.

@ApostateHobo I nearly shed a tear when I realized that it wasn't available. The day it becomes available (IF) I will get it ASAP, despite the fact that I disagree with the way they made it look, it's quite 'fleshy'. Truly a shame. What's truly interesting is that rain can be heard in Velothi Harbor, I have not noticed any other building were rain/ambience can be heard, only the volcano rumbling of the chateau one. Guess it's a bug. Will test Velothi soon.

Edited by Shagreth on March 13, 2019 7:26PM
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try contacting support and see if they'll let you buy it that way. And yeah I agree it's weird how they made the Telvanni towers all fleshy and tumor looking, but I'll take having tumorous Telvanni towers over none at all haha
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at Coldharbour Surreal Estate? There's no real house there, but there's no sun either since it's in Oblivion. It exits right into the Hollow City for turning in your crafting writs and for relatively quick wayshrine access.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try contacting support and see if they'll let you buy it that way. And yeah I agree it's weird how they made the Telvanni towers all fleshy and tumor looking, but I'll take having tumorous Telvanni towers over none at all haha

A Telvanni tower where you don't need to levitate to get to the upper levels is not a Telvanni tower :| Unless you count the balcony, that you need to levitate to, indeed.
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 13, 2019 8:10PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for rain, it's almost ALWAYS raining everywhere in my game. No matter which zone. Really always in Vvardenfell....
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ApostateHobo Checked out Velothi Harbor, it was raining outside but no sound inside, just like every other house. I did open a ticket btw, such a shame I missed Tel Galen for only a few days.

@ZOS_GinaBruno something about Tel Galen, noticed while outside of it it was raining, when entering the yard -- the rain stopped altogether. Bug or coincidence, who knows. But really could interior rain/thunder sound be added for buildings, especially houses? It really adds for those few of us that like to RP.
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that location to crafting writs and wayshrines become unimportant when choosing a house. I've tried to do the whole "making writs in your own home thing" for a few months, but the long loading screens really suck the fun out of that. Same for wayshrines, It's so much easier just to use the add-on 'Port to friend' instead of leaving your house (loading screen 1) walk to a wayshrine, and then port further to your destination of choice (loading screen 2).

As for a home for a NB Dunmer vampire. My NB Dunmer vampire currently resides in the Erstwhile Sanctuary:
    mRpmzIx.jpg

Previously she lived in Velothi Reverie:
    WJ14XV7.jpg
    This house is perfectly Gothic already, same goes for Indorillia.
    The only drawback of both these houses is that you do have a regular day and night cycle. Thankfully both houses are dark to begin with, which is why I wouldn't quickly choose the Vvardenfell houses as these are made of a lighter stone, which will make those houses pretty light during daytime.

For two other vampire characters, I've created homes in Coldharbour Estate and Hunter's Glade. These homes are neither fully dark, and never fully light. They are empty plots however, so you'll need to build your own home. Downside is that it's quite a task for a beginner at ESO housing to build your own house, the upside is that you can hear all the effects outside in your house. Both homes don't come with rain however. Hunter's Glade never rains, but has waterfalls to give at least some sound of falling water. Coldharbour Estate only has ash rains.
    m63H9Wr.jpg
    OVq277f.jpg

The Telvanni Tower could function nicely as a vampire home too, as it has no windows. Personally I wasn't too fond of the fungus, but I suppose with the right lighting it could look pretty horrific. :D

As this is your first house I would either suggest Velothi Reverie or Indorillia. They are both dark and Gothic to begin with, and best of all Dunmer. They have a lot of separate rooms and a basement! This makes decorating easier as you don't have to make "rooms" yourself if you would so desire. Both also come with decent gardens to do some outside decorating. Buy Velothi if you want to save so coin to decorate it. Buy Indorillia if location is important to you and you want a better sqm / slot ratio. I find the smaller the home compared is to the number of slots you have, the easier it is to decorate it to your desire. I would not buy your first house with crowns, as you may regret it if it turns out that housing in ESO does not appeal to you.

• dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds either like Amaya Lake Lodge + Ald Velothi Harbor House would be perfect for the style and the ambience of the area. They are both a little out of the way as you say, though.
    But as mentioned above, it's pretty cheap to buy the Vivec city Saint Delyn Penthouse too, and use that as a free port to the City for crafting + writs etc.

You might also consider Gardner House, right in Wayrest city. Great for handing in everything and a decent size home for your money. A small-ish outside space, but more than made up for imo by it's location.

Also, if you are really undecided. I'd suggest downloading the PTS, and heading over there and trying out the houses that you like. You can get furnishing from the crown store for I think 1 crown per item, and test out how they look in each house.
    That way you'll get a better idea of what is possible, and can come back to Live, and make a good start on your actual house (unfortunately not for 1 Crown per item :P )
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also consider Mournoth Keep for quick access to wayshrine, and Snugpod for writ turn-in. You can live elsewhere and just use those as free portals from anywhere. If you have an Orc or Bosmer character, they'll feel at home, too.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Telvanni Tower could function nicely as a vampire home too, as it has no windows. Personally I wasn't too fond of the fungus, but I suppose with the right lighting it could look pretty horrific. :D

Nice homes there, and your dunmer looks amazing. I admit that the Deshaan homes already look quite gothic but I was feeling a little adventurous, hence why I considered the cave or the Telvanni tower. It is indeed unfortunate that the Telvanni tower looks more like flesh than mushroom, but hey, not sure if you're familiar with the world of darkness and Tzimisce (vampire clan that use fleshcrafting) with that house I can fulfill another fantasy there, since they're my favorite clan.

Curious to see what lighting you had in mind. :D Not familiar with the types available.

A big thank you to everyone for your suggestions.
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »
    Curious to see what lighting you had in mind. :D Not familiar with the types available.

There are several luxury furnishings and achievement items that give of a certain "glow" of a particular colour.

Here is a list of all of them:
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/category/database/item-type/furnishing/lighting/enchanted-lights/

For the Erstwhile Sanctuary I used a lot of replica dreamshards (from the Wayrest Achievement Vendor) and the Varla stones (which you can buy once a year from the Luxury Vendor in Coldharbour or from guild traders) to give the cavern a blueish glow.

For Hunter's Glade I mainly used the Hagraven Cauldron's Green Fire to give everything a green glow. The Hagraven Cauldron is a crafted item, that can itself or its recipe can be bought from guild vendors, or obtained during the Witches Festival.

To make a room in Coldharbour Estate look reddish, I used Replica Cursed Orb of Meridia (that actually can be turned into several different colours!), Orb of Stone (both from the Undaunted Achievement Vendor), Crimson Shard of Moonshadow (drops very rarely from Ashlander quests in Vvardenfell), Totem of the Sixth House (Vvardenfell Achievement Item) and the Hlaalu Salt Lamp (craftable, and can also be turned into several different colours).
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're sending crowns, you can buy furnished and use it as a home right away, so your considerations may be different from another player's, buying with gold. Furnishing capability can lag behind house-buying, as there are a lot more ways to make gold than to collect plans and materials.

The interesting furnishings are typically hard to acquire, and may only be available as achievement rewards for difficult content. They're not going to be first-home material.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ald Velothi is really nice - especially for the price.

It's one of my favourites and has a great layout, compared with many others, including many Notables (which don't!).

You can comfortably place all your basic crafting stations and large storage chests in the basement, have three spacious bedrooms and a very spacious kitchen/living area.

Also has a great balcony, with lovely views over the sea. :smile:

Looks very dark and depressing, on viewing, due to the lack of light and the dark furniture.

However, you can make it look very comfortable, colourful and bright, if you want (although, sounds like you don't).

...and yes, it rains quite a lot.

If you also like thunder, Old Mistveil is a great choice, too.

You have everything you need nearby.

Another good one is the Alinor Crest Townhouse.

Although, you may find that a little too light and bright.

It does rain, but not really in a dark and ominous kind of way.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2019 4:08PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main is Dunmer, though not a vampire. The first house I bought with gold and furnished myself was Velothi Reverie, so I'm quite partial to it. And, it's fairly close to a wayshrine. Plus there is a cooking station and a few vendors just outside the front door.

While the outdoor area in the back is a tad small, a vampire doesn't really need a lot of outdoor space, do they?

I love the Vvardenfell homes (I have all of them) and Ald Velothi can be quite dark, due to the high ceilings, so you can make it quite cozy.

I suppose, though, for a vampire, the obvious/predictable choice is Erstwhile Sanctuary, and I think it's still on sale. If you have any interest, and the crowns, you might want to consider snatching it up before it's gone for a while. It's returned a couple of times now, though, so you don't need to be in any rush if you're not sure. Unfortunately, we probably won't see Tel Galen for sale again until the next Morrowind Anniversary.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »
    Greetings,

I am a returning player, haven't played in years and I must say, I am a bit overwhelmed. However, the ESO community is simply great, so I keep getting help left and right. So cheers for that. I am (finally) going to buy a house, I have a bunch of crowns and 1.6mil ready to be blown away.

My three choices based on 1) Atmosphere, 2) Convenience (location, writs etc.) for me the most atmospheric which matches my character (dunmer vampire NB) would be the Sanctuary in gold coast. Sadly no writ boards at all in the general vicinity, but hey, at least some dailies that I find myself doing often. Deshaan is amazing because it rains, a lot. BUT NO INTERIOR SOUND FOR RAIN @ZOS_GinaBruno :( . Please? Anyway, it's great and has big potential for a gothic-y house for my vampire. Talking about the indorilia one, even though I know that the smaller one has better value, I simply love the entrance & yard of the indorilia. Last but not least -- Vvanderfell, Vivec is great for crafting and the music itself simply gives me the chills, I grew up modding for Morrowind and generally playing the hell out of it, so yeah, there's that. Sadly the Velothi tower is out of the picture, so I'm torn between the Amaya and the Velothi one.

Anyone still here? Ok, just need general suggestions and experience of people owing these houses, tips, other suggestions.. whatever. Oh, and a question, does it rain often in Vvanderfell?

p.s. ebonheart chateau looks good, too, but I haven't checked it out in detail.

If you want a house for your Vampire I recommend Erstwhile Sanctuary (which is on sale now for a very limited time). It's a pretty awesome home.

If you like the rain a lot though you might want to consider Black Vine Villa. It's small (also cheap) but it rains there a lot.
    Edited by Jeremy on March 17, 2019 5:03PM
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to mention I'm in my Velothie Reverie and I can hear the thunder and rain of the storm going on outside. I have the music box running so that might have something to due with it if not hearing is related to other background sounds. It is probably worth mentioning I am on PC/NA in the event sound effects behave differently on the other platforms.

Edit: It appears to be inconsistent as I went outside and when I came back in I could no longer hear the rain and thunder.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on March 19, 2019 2:17PM
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to mention I'm in my Velothie Reverie and I can hear the thunder and rain of the storm going on outside. I have the music box running so that might have something to due with it if not hearing is related to other background sounds. It is probably worth mentioning I am on PC/NA in the event sound effects behave differently on the other platforms.

Edit: It appears to be inconsistent as I went outside and when I came back in I could no longer hear the rain and thunder.
    Yes, I remember reporting this bug back in beta, and multiple times after that.. but alas..
    Edited by Shagreth on March 20, 2019 4:48PM