The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Tips about which DLC to buy

Eeverose
Eeverose
Soul Shriven
Hi, I'm new to the game. Since there is the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood event I was planning to buy one of the two using the free crown I got when I've purchase the game. Before the event I was planning to play the base game and gain enough gold in order to buy crown with it.
Now I like to know which one of the two DLCs that are in sale are the best in order to speed up my process of gaining gold.
I'm also planning to buy a 1 month ESO+ subscription in order to try the other DLC and maybe buy it with the crown of the subscription.

Thanks
Eeverose
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will make more money Stealing and Fencing. However you don't really need the Thieves Guild for that, although it does make some things easier. Stealing and Fencing is part of the base game.

And, as long as you don't conduct larceny inside a building with guards, you can get away from them easy enough. If an NPC attacks you, just let them kill you, you keep your stuff and the NPC is docile when you spawn back. Use soul gems so you don't have to spawn at a wayshrine where a guard might spot you..

Now, guards will take your stolen loot if they kill you. To get away from them, dont sprint, run. Then use your stamina to break free and get out of the city as soon as you can. Until you get the hang of escaping guards, fence often.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Eeverose
    Eeverose
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks, so maybe it's better to just buy the ESO+ for 1 month and try them first?
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would buy the ESO+ instead of using crowns to buy a DLC. The reason is because with ESO+ you get all DLCs, so buying one DLC would be a waste of crowns. Then again, unless you are a crate junkie or love buying mounts and houses, crowns are really only useful for race changes.

Your call. But I do believe that it is cheaper to buy ESO+ than piecemeal all DLCs. Have to warn you, once you get a taste of that craft bag and extra storage/bank spaces, its pretty hard to go back.

Lastly, Hew's Bane and the Gold Coast are not that much fun. Nor were the DB/TG quest lines. In fact, the DB/TG grind is one of the more frustratingly repetitive. Only time I go back there is for events like this, or if I need to craft a writ that requires Kvatch Gladiator.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have any interest in trials, Thieves Guild DLC includes Maw of Lorkhaj.

I would also say just sub for ESO+ and get them all. The craft bag alone is worth it IMO.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have any interest in trials, Thieves Guild DLC includes Maw of Lorkhaj.

Totally forgot about that. That is my favorite trial, too. I suppose that makes up for the TG fetch quests.
    Options
  • Eeverose
    Eeverose
    Soul Shriven
    Thankyou very much for the suggestions. I'll probably buy the ESO+ for one month in order to try the contents and then I'll see if it is the case to buy the Thieves Guild DLC.
    Options
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You will make more money Stealing and Fencing. However you don't really need the Thieves Guild for that, although it does make some things easier. Stealing and Fencing is part of the base game.

And, as long as you don't conduct larceny inside a building with guards, you can get away from them easy enough. If an NPC attacks you, just let them kill you, you keep your stuff and the NPC is docile when you spawn back. Use soul gems so you don't have to spawn at a wayshrine where a guard might spot you..

Now, guards will take your stolen loot if they kill you. To get away from them, dont sprint, run. Then use your stamina to break free and get out of the city as soon as you can. Until you get the hang of escaping guards, fence often.

Or you could just drink an invisibility potion.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eeverose wrote: »
    Thanks, so maybe it's better to just buy the ESO+ for 1 month and try them first?
    This, it will also let your run the dlc dungeons in normal for the skill point, just wait for them to be pledge.
    You can run them multiple times if needed for gear.
    And go vet for helmets but recommend an nice guild here, decent CP is also an requirement but you can do this later if needed.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your call. But I do believe that it is cheaper to buy ESO+ than piecemeal all DLCs. Have to warn you, once you get a taste of that craft bag and extra storage/bank spaces, its pretty hard to go back.

It depends on how long it takes you to get through them, and if you really want all the DLC or only specific ones.

I don't play dungeons very often so I'm not interested in those DLC. So that leaves just the Guilds and Glory pack (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild & Dark Brotherhood), Clockwork City, Murkmire and possibly Morrowind for me to buy (Morrowind is bundled with a lot of versions of the game so many people won't need to buy it). But I like to take my time with zones and quests and eventually I want to do them on all my characters.

It costs 9,500 crowns to get all except Morrowind, 13,000 with it, which costs roughly the same as a 6 month subscription. So for me it's much cheaper in the long run to buy crowns (or buy a 6 month sub and use those crowns to buy the DLC) then to subscribe for access to the DLC. But I know other people who could easily complete everything they want to do in the DLC zones in 2 months, so they'd save a lot of money by buying 2 months of subscription time and then maybe using the crowns to buy one or two DLCs they found especially useful.

Of course you do get other benefits from subscribing, but whether those are worth the price once you're past the point where it's a cost-effective way to get the DLC is a whole other discussion.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Danikat All true. I like trials and dungeons, so I keep up my ESO+. Well, that and that craft bag/storage space is amazing.
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a pack that comes with thieves guild, dark brotherhood, Orsinium and Imperial city and it's cheaper than it would be to buy these separate. Orsinium comes with a new area and quests. Murkmire does as well from what I remember and the Clockwork City. The rest I believe are dungeons so depending on if you want some extra dungeons I have yet to try those ones. And if you didn't get the Morrowind expansion that's now sold through the crown store as well.
    Edited by ZaroktheImmortal on March 11, 2019 5:47PM
    Options