The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Re-install question

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
Have continuing crashing since Monday's updates. Happens each time as soon as I click the Play button. Tried to do what other players did to fix it but nothing's working. No help from ZOS.

Instead of wasting more time, I've decided to re-install the game.

Question: Should I delete the game first, or just re-install it over the existing files on my computer.

Thanks.

• Jayroo
    Jayroo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I resort to reinstalling to fix an issue, I make sure all traces of the application are gone so I can completely rule out reinstalling as a possible solution in case it does not work.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you delete:

1. RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR - there is a known bug which causes the game to crash when not in administrator
    2. Run the repair tool in the launcher
    3. Make absolutely sure this is not an graphics driver or overclock issue

After you have a working version:

Backup your full game so next time you have to reinstall, you just have to run an extensive update, and not do a full download at 1mbps.

These things will save you so much pain.
    Edited by Cathexis on March 4, 2019 9:20PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

Checked all my drivers, new video driver installed the day prior. So, not one of those. Was already running as Admin, and set that again after reinstall.

Anyway, uninstalled the game and then reinstalled - 81 GB thank you.

Verizon DSL 1 GB per hour = 81 hours to download.

Working fine now. Hopefully for a long time.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    new video driver installed the day prior
    Whenever you change (update) drivers, you should delete the cooked shader cache and let ESO rebuild it on startup.

I've had all sorts of problems in the past with corrupted or out of date shader caches and if i recall correctly, the repair function on the launcher does not rebuilt that cache.
    shades.gif