The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Getting gear to research?

icecb16_ESO
icecb16_ESO
✭✭
I'm at the researching stage for gear and I'm having a problem getting a blacksmith chest with traits on to research.

What are the ways I can get more heavy chest armor to drop?

I tried buying a piece off a guild store but when I went to the research tab it wouldnt let me research the trait.

Is it possible for a friend to make the item and send it me to research?

Or am I at the mercy of RNG drops?

Best Answers

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to research items bought in the guild store. Report it in-game as a bug.
    Answer ✓
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buy it from a guild trader. TONS have research-quality gear. Most of it is pretty cheap, with nirnhoned being the most expensive, for obvious reasons. But even then, I think the most I paid for a piece was 4K. Was usually 1-2K
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best ways to get research gear for a new account is indeed for a friend to make the appropriate item with your desired trait and send it to you for research. Once you have at least one crafter, you should be able to make your own research items for any newer characters you want to be crafters.

Odd that a an item from a guild store wouldn't let you research it since that is another perfectly good source of research items.

The first 8 traits you learn are nothing exotic but when you ask a friend to make the top 9th trait (nirnhoned), those trait materials are hard to come by so it is a good idea to farm your own nirnhoned trait materials and provide them to any friend that you ask to make you nirnhoned research items.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • onegunholiday
    If you got something from a guild store, it will appear in your mail. I was confused at first for the same reason. Check your mail and it should be there. Be sure to grab the attachment to the mail.

After buying and researching the most important trait gear, stash anything researchable in your bank for later. All of the leveling content in the game will get you everything to research, and if you’re missing important traits early on, guild stores are a great place to find them. Good luck yo.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you in any guilds? I too was having trouble getting the last pieces of specific gear for research. I asked the crafters in my guild to make them for me. I also started as soon as I was able to get by in Craglorn to spend some time there trying to get both kinds of nirncrux to drop. When I got a piece or two I would ask my guildmates to craft whatever I needed and send them the nirncrux. Most guildies will craft all but the nirnhoned pieces you need without asking for mats or compensation. All you need is a level 1 piece for research after all. I'm ShadokatPH66 on Xbox NA. If you need help getting specific pieces and don't have anyone else hit me up.
  • icecb16_ESO
    icecb16_ESO
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys.

I tried again buying from a guild store and this time it worked :smile:
  • Nave_Horsespitoon
    You should be able to research items bought in the guild store. Report it in-game as a bug.

I found that if the piece is above my level it won’t let me reaserch the item.

• IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭

You should still be able to research it. I have a level 46 on the EU server that I do not actively play to obtain drops that has been buying mostly cp 160 gear for research from various guild traders. Have had no issue with researching traits at all.

Might be that you already knew the trait or were currently researching it or another trait for the same armor / weapon piece. After all you can only research one trait at a time for each piece of gear.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • Nave_Horsespitoon

You should still be able to research it. I have a level 46 on the EU server that I do not actively play to obtain drops that has been buying mostly cp 160 gear for research from various guild traders. Have had no issue with researching traits at all.

Might be that you already knew the trait or were currently researching it or another trait for the same armor / weapon piece. After all you can only research one trait at a time for each piece of gear.

Thanks for clearing that up, I hope your right. That will make it much easier to finish some of my research.

There is a spoiler here
    Now if I could only remember where that Dwemer forge portal is exposed through the fighters guild
  • Nave_Horsespitoon
    Ok I guess it wasn’t really a spoiler but I did find the portal. I don’t know the BBCode to make buttons for hiding spoilers, next time I will either look it up, or just not say anything.

Mostly thank you big time for the assistance on buying gear at guild stores for research. Awesome info! Thanks again!
    It has also raised my level in blacksmithing as a side benefit.