The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Mag DK VMA

reiverx
reiverx
✭✭✭✭✭
I was on my way to flawless on my magDK about six months ago but ended up moving to other games because the constant nerfs and bugs took its toll. So I'm back, for now, and eased myself into the game.

VMA was a shock to the system to say the least. That nerf to harness magicka really hurts. But I persevered and after four hours and copious deaths, I got to the final boss. Then I abandoned the quest and started over. I tried changing skills, mundus and gear just to see what was working. I left it at round seven the second time.

So, I used different combinations of burning spellweave, julianos and mother's sorrow. Double destro staff. I already have all the maelstrom staffs because I was just plain lucky, but opted for two 5 piece setups with skoria. I remember spinners being a good set too.

I guess I'm just looking for tips on how to stay alive while dealing decent damage. I know it's only been six months but it feels like I'm starting over. I'm also having serious issues with weapon swapping not triggering. Sustain is unbelievably awful.

Anyways, that's my rant. I know it's a bit all over the place but that's VMA for ya.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why abandon the quest?

You can get the chest and get the quest again
    Beta tester November 2013
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Why abandon the quest?

You can get the chest and get the quest again

I wasn't ready for the final boss. Purely psychological. It would've taken too long and just frustrated me even more.
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    I briefly made an Altmer magDK a couple of months ago, got Flawless, and ended up deleting the character because I disliked the class/playstyle. The sets I used were BSW on the body, MS front-barred, and Grothdaar/Skoria or Iceheart (if you just want an easy run). Spammable was Force Pulse, because whip has limited range. Used Reflective Plate and Channelled Acceleration, if I remember correctly. Other abilities were pretty basic magDK PvE ones like Embers and Flames of Oblivion.

When it comes to surviving, Reflective Plate makes it very easy and Embers gives a nice heal. The movement speed buff from Channelled Acceleration allows you to kite melee adds and bosses much easier.

Food I used was Clockwork Citrus Filet and mundus was the Thief.
    Edited by Vermethys on February 26, 2019 8:53PM
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got through it last night using BSW, Julianos and Skoria. The final boss was unexpectedly easier than I remembered. The argonian was a pain though.

I've never thought about using the Thief. I think I'll try that tonight with MS.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The regular Absorb Magic Enchant on back bar has been pretty good helping me sustain. Also that gold citrus filet food is pretty good.
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    Used lightning staff heavies & wall on adds. With self healing and shields you are kind of unkillable. Only used roto on bosses.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some suggestions:

1. Use a ranged spammable like Force Pulse instead of whips. It makes a huge difference imo.
    2. Drop FOO and use Cauterize instead. It's a surprisingly effective burst heal as well as a nice pseudo-HoT that will keep your health topped off contantly.
    3. Iceheart!
    4. When in doubt, spam wings.