The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

so why cant i repair my armor

aldlv13
aldlv13
using an appropriate crafting station and material instead of gold? i mean logically if i have the skill to CREATE a suit of steel armor why cant i REPAIR said armor using a blacksmithing station and steel ingot(s)?

first person to make a comment about repair kits gets stabbed. those cost gold and im talking about a goldless repair option.
"Altmer. They act all high and mighty until you leave them in a pool of their own blood." -Blademaster Owyn
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    Because repair cost is a gold sink.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    using an appropriate crafting station and material instead of gold? i mean logically if i have the skill to CREATE a suit of steel armor why cant i REPAIR said armor using a blacksmithing station and steel ingot(s)?
    Technically you can.

1) You can just make new armor. This has the same net effect as "repairing" it, and you can do it for free. Deconstruct your old armor to get materials back.

2) You can buy repair kits from vendors. This lets you repair armor on your own in the field.

The official explanation is that it is a gold sink. Thats the point of item decay. It also gives you an incentive not to die, because your items ONLY decay when you die...so this discourages lemming behavior in combat as well.

For that reason, it will not go away.
    Edited by SadisticSavior on April 8, 2014 3:57PM
  • Brank
    Brank
    ✭✭✭
    how do you use repair kits? I've equipped it to Q and I press and nothing happens. Am I missing a step?
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    Also putting the right trait on the armour can reduce any decay suffered.

A lot of the game is about managing many elements to make it all work. In my book thats good.
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    Brank wrote: »
    how do you use repair kits? I've equipped it to Q and I press and nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

You right click what you want to repair and select repair.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The official explanation is that it is a gold sink. Thats the point of item decay. It also gives you an incentive not to die, because your items ONLY decay when you die...so this discourages lemming behavior in combat as well.

I find this to be false. Items decay from combat too but not that much as from dying.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »

I find this to be false. Items decay from combat too but not that much as from dying.

I can confirm this - my main has not died once yet, but the equipment is halfway degraded(i should really craft myself a new set by now :))
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Technically you can.

1) You can just make new armor. This has the same net effect as "repairing" it, and you can do it for free. Deconstruct your old armor to get materials back.

2) You can buy repair kits from vendors. This lets you repair armor on your own in the field.

For that reason, it will not go away.
    Thats wrong armor decays in combat even if you do not die. The item damage you take is exponential to the % of health left on the item. At first it will barely go down, but as soon as less than 20% health are left on your items you can watch your armor value drop 1-3 points or something after every battle.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver