The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should the Dragon Knight be a yokudan martial art instead?

Mecanista
Mecanista
Soul Shriven
I'm leveling a 2h swordsman DK, and it bugs me how inconvenient it is to be an akaviri-wannabe warrior. I feel like the Dragon Knight lacks identity within Tamriel, unlike the other classes.

In my oppinion, it would be more constructive if this class was designed around the yokudan culture, since the Sword-Singers are trained both in magic and fighting skills. Plus, you would have a plausible explanation on how the technique found you in Tamriel as a student through Redguard immigration.
Edited by Mecanista on February 26, 2019 1:26PM
"You picked the wrong house, fool!"
- Dwemer Centurion
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly. The technique is being taught by former blades so it does make sense to be there.
    The problem with the Yokudan alternative is that Redguards would have no reason to try to emulate dragons.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Yokudans have no connection to Dragons; the Akaviri did. The ways of the Dragonknight was taught by a member of the Dragonguard, it doesn't fit with the Yokuda.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be odd for Kalpa-Hopping Time-and-Space Samurai to be using a martial art from a being (and named after a being) they're not familiar with.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    Lorewise, it would be best for Redguards to play as Nightblades than?

• Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Daimmyo

Well...To begin with, Yokudans aren't Redguards, they're the ancestors of Redguards.

If we are to discuss what would be lore-friendly for your typical Redguard, I'd say it'd either be Templar or Dragonknight. Redguards aren't opposed to serving as Dragonguard (or the Blades of the future) as some Redguards live in Cyrodiil. Redguards aren't heavily against healing magic, so they could be a Templar as well.

In reality though, Redguards could fit in any role all dependent on their upbringing.
    Edited by Claudman on February 26, 2019 7:20PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah,

we are on the same boat - I main stam DK, trying to bring up Templar or Nightblade, but I will probably have no time or nerves to do that.

I think just like with going to Na-Totambu, which is a reproduction of the original - and again a Lost City, we can just witness how much of the Yokudan culture was lost in transition and with time passing by.

• Sekt_Tiberlus
    Sekt_Tiberlus
    ✭✭✭
    DK can also be just some kind of a mix of alteration and alchemancy. Especially suitable for Saxhleel. But, i think that DK uses Nirn or its Core as source of his energy/magicka, not Aetherius.
    kh3tynnwt059.jpg
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment here:
    Specifically about lore introduced in ESO, if your question could be answered from the perspective of an ingame npc, what would you ask?

Is it likely that the redguards have their own way about what is called the "Dragonknight" path by Tamrielians? that can be Satakal or Sep imitating techniques?

My two redguards are DK, but I can't see their backstory to be related with the tradition of Akavir... Instead I imagine they learnt tradition from yokudan lineage.
    If we think about it, in the deep lore, there are indeed hints for this.
    - The Hiradirge used stone magics
    - The Ansei can make the Shehai, spirit-sword, so can do the Templars (lance skills) and ...DKs (lava whips)
    - Yokuda continent sank after huge wars, that looks like armies of DKs spreading huge mess on their own earth crust...
    - Obscure lore talks about the Pankratosword, an ultimate sword/alteration/atom technique that sounds quite like DK too
    - Satakal is reptile-shaped in their myths
    - Sep is a snake also
    - There's stuff about skin of the world etc.
    - Redguards live in sand & rocks deserts, the class magics that fit the best is DK's
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You’re not wrong about DKs lacking identity. Idk how long you’ve been in this game, but that’s been a problem ever since consoles/CP came out. It’s design still fits better with the old PC only version of the game.

rip decibel
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say only Nightblades, Sorcerers and upcoming Necromancers somewhat don't lack identity with Tamriel. Wardens are supposed to be connected to Vvardenfell, but use permanent bear pet, which isn't supposed to be there.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why is it hard to relate a Redguard DK with Akaviri training. Don't you remember Baurus form TES4 Oblivion? People complain about class identity on Tamriel for not seeing a reason to that ties race and class. First, if you haven't noticed by now being from one race and being in another province is as usual as IRL and many people today who don't have any east asian lineage, know some form of east asian martial art.
  • mnemoniclights
    mnemoniclights
    ✭✭✭
    It makes sense for Dragon Knight to be aligned with the Dragonguard aka blades because well, they're alive. They still exist and we see them in the game in Imperial City.

It doesn't make sense for dragon knights to be aligned with sword-singers because sword-singing is a dead art that has been dead since the first era.
    it was a big point with Sai Sahan who wasn't able to revive sword-singing being a major part of why he is so down and hard on himself. It's why Tharn's doppleganger in the interrogation main quest dungeon was teasing Sai Sahan about learning Sword-Singing

Sai Sahan saw it as his biggest dishonor, not being able to revive such an important part of his culture, it's why Dragon Knight being aligned with Sword Singing doesn't make sense
    Nisekev wrote: »
    I'd say only Nightblades, Sorcerers and upcoming Necromancers somewhat don't lack identity with Tamriel. Wardens are supposed to be connected to Vvardenfell, but use permanent bear pet, which isn't supposed to be there.

Actually Wardens are from Valenwood, they're servants of Y'ffre.

"Wardens are defenders of the Green, master storytellers whose nature tales become magical reality. They wield frost spells against enemies and summon animals to aid them."

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Warden
    Edited by mnemoniclights on April 16, 2019 1:19AM