Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The 'Create' option isn't letting me create at the stations - Help !

Maria_Shinn
Maria_Shinn
Soul Shriven
i'm lvl 13 and previously been able to craft weapons/armour/clothes from the raw material's i've found. Now suddenly when i hit the 'create' option, it's not giving me the option to create, telling me i need to learn 'styles' such as bone, even though i have the object in my inventory and have previously used it without having to learn it before. This also happens whether i have the have knowledge/items checked or unchecked, it makes no difference - help :(
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you have the style component (such as bone) actually selected in the crafting UI. Just having it in the inventory is not enough. Use the left-right arrows to scroll through the style items until you have one selected that you both have in the inventory and know how to use.

First row left-right buttons control what items you are creating(such as a sword).
    Second row left-right buttons control what material is used(such as iron)
    Third row buttons control the style of the item(such as redguard)
    Fourth row controls what trait the item will have(such as reinforced)

Assuming you are a redguard who knows no other styles and knows no traits and wants to create an iron axe, you need to select axe in the first row, iron in the second row, starmetal in the 3rd row(and have starmetal in inventory or bank), and nothing(the red X) in the fourth row.
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    yeah, i have bone and starmetal - various other style components and a book of motifs (i think that's what they're called) ... when i try and select the third row, it's 'red', like blanked out ? but tells me how many i have and that i have to learn that style - it hasn't happened to me previously :( Thanks for replying <3
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, i have bone and starmetal - various other style components and a book of motifs (i think that's what they're called) ... when i try and select the third row, it's 'red', like blanked out ? but tells me how many i have and that i have to learn that style - it hasn't happened to me previously :( Thanks for replying <3

If you have bone in inventory or bank, then on the crafting UI the bone should be white, not red. Red basically means "you don't have this material at hand". Sounds like some weird bug. Maybe try to get rid of all bone/starmetal/other racial materials, then buy a new one from the NPC next to the crafting station and try again.
  • wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In order to craft set item at the special location. You need to learn a predefined amount of trait. It indicate that you are how many traits away from creating that item. What you lack is trait not style.

Edit: after re reading the fourth post. Maybe the problem is the style after all. To learn a style, you need to use the book. Having it in the inventory does not allow you to make it.
    Edited by wingnamrwb17_ESO on April 9, 2014 7:36AM
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah @wingnamrwb17_ESO is right, if your using one of the hidden crafting stations you might actually be missing the special abilities you need to craft them.
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    In order to craft set item at the special location. You need to learn a predefined amount of trait. It indicate that you are
    how many traits away from creating that item. What you lack is trait not style.

If this were so, howcome i was able to create in styles before ? and i have trait gems too, they're blanked out too, but i know i have to learn those in order for them to work - but the styles have worked previously - moonstone, bone, starmetal and some others, without learning any traits at all. Now i cannot create anything.

• wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    First of all. Where are you creating? What are you creating and what race is your character. Have you learn the style by using the motif?
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    oh yeah @wingnamrwb17_ESO is right, if your using one of the hidden crafting stations you might actually be missing the special abilities you need to craft them.

no, just your standard crafting station like in daggerfell :(

• wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Inside a city or outside a city? Give me a screen shot of the crafting ui and the location of possible.
    Edited by wingnamrwb17_ESO on April 9, 2014 7:46AM
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    First of all. Where are you creating? What are you creating and what race is your character. Have you learn the style by using the motif?
    I'm creating at Daggerfell, trying to create ANYTHING, with the raw materials i have - i have refined the wood, ore and jute without a problem, but i cannot create from them. I just want to create something, basic, anything - i can't, i don't have that option. I'm an imperial sorcerer. And i used the motif i have and it said i already knew this style. So i'm really at a complete lost, it's so frustrating :( .. thank you though for everyone that has replied so far - the help is really appreciated

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Random question? Have you quit and restarted the game? It is possible if you have been playing a few hours something got confused. ::ponder::
  • wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    BTW. How many inventory space you have left?
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    Random question? Have you quit and restarted the game? It is possible if you have been playing a few hours something got confused. ::ponder::

lol .. as addictive as it is, yes, i quit and slept .. and restarted :p
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Then yes make certain you have a minimum of 3 open slots in your inventory bag.
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven

Over half when i deposit the traits that don't work lol http://gyazo.com/cf0162092aa8bb4e80fcea9bd4437d49 there's the screenshot anyway
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    this is the screenshot of the items in my inventory http://gyazo.com/1ae807860e65f4c0dc302a6504786df3
  • wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    From the screen shot. You dint have the style learnt and the trait researched.

Note that each motif only teach 1 style so you need the red guard motif to unlock the style. Click the arrows to select a learnt style.

The traits is research per pieces. So leaning a trait on a sword doors not grant you access to the SAME trait on an axe.
    Edited by wingnamrwb17_ESO on April 9, 2014 10:49AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Over half when i deposit the traits that don't work lol http://gyazo.com/cf0162092aa8bb4e80fcea9bd4437d49 there's the screenshot anyway

What race are you? You have the redguard racial style selected on the screenshot. If you are not a redguard, and have not found and used the redguard style book, then crafting with starmetal will not be possible. You have to scroll the racial motives left/right until you have the correct style(the one of your own race) selected.

On the other hand, if you are a redguard(kinda hard to tell from the picture), then that's definitely a bug on the screenshot.
  • Allumis
    Allumis
    ✭✭✭
    Quit//restart the game.

Next tick the boxes for "have knowledge" "have items" anything left over you can craft. If its not listed you don't have the correct things to make it, I often find this is the quickest and easiest way to know what you can and can't craft.
  • Maria_Shinn
    Maria_Shinn
    Soul Shriven
    i totally understand now - thanks so much for all your help, it was really useful <3