The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is VMA Staff worth loosing a 5pc bonus?

SoftcoverGore47
There are 12 available gear slots.
Monster set takes 2.
So then you can either run two 5pc sets or a 5pc and a 3pc with a VMA staff. Is VMA staff that good, that it makes it worth loosing the second 5pc bonus?

For example:
Front Bar
Grothdarr - 2
BSW -5 (w/ bsw staff on FB)
Silks - 5
Gives you 2 full 5pc set bonuses

Back Bar
Grothdarr -2
BSW -3
VMA Staff (instead of bsw staff) -2
Silks -5
Gives you one 5pc bonus, a 3pc bonus and VMA 2pc

Don't focus on the sets in the example, (could be anything), just that your loosing the second 5pc bonus to slot the VMA staff on the BB. Is it really that good?

Working on VMA now, just wondering if its worth the effort.
Thanks
Edited by SoftcoverGore47 on February 27, 2019 4:59PM
XBX1 NA
MAG DK
CP 810
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if you run proc set on frontbar that it can also provide the buff while you are shortly on backbar. No, if you use static bonus sets like Sun. Anyway its around 2-3k increase.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    @SoftcoverGore47 absolutely worth it, mag builds aren't on their back bar for a considerable amount of time.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you tighten up your rotation...

Seriously though, consider a BSW staff with Maelstrom - the BSW 5th bonus continues if already procced even if the gear becomes 3/5 when you swap to Maelstrom.

edit for clarity
    Edited by NordSwordnBoard on February 27, 2019 5:14PM
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are here trying to talk yourself out of the VMA grind (believe me I get it), I am sorry to say that the destro and bow are meta for DPS. If you arent a trial DPS, it really doesnt matter, but it is certainly more damage.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are here trying to talk yourself out of the VMA grind (believe me I get it), I am sorry to say that the destro and bow are meta for DPS. If you arent a trial DPS, it really doesnt matter, but it is certainly more damage.

Not just meta, way better than the next best which would just be a bow of the normal weapon bar set.

Although, I say not even close, for bows specifically the vDSA master bow is much easier to get (both because of multiple people running it can trade it to you, and DSA is easy) and is fairly close to vMA bow in dps. Always surprised how little people seem to mention this.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This pretty much.

Front bar you would still be 5/5/2. Back bar wills be 5/3/2 + the vMA weapon.

It will not double your dps. Someone pulling 30k isn’t going to magically start pulling 50k. The biggest boost to dps is getting ones rotation down well.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is required to run a monster set.

You can still run two (2) regular 5-piece sets and a vMA staff.

Another option is running a monster set, Willpower jewelry, vMA staff, and one (1) 5-piece set.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on February 27, 2019 9:34PM
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Another option is running a monster set, Willpower jewelry, vMA staff, and one (1) 5-piece set.

Usually in this setup you would run 2 arena weps tbh though.

I mean this is all a question of if the OP needs to hit max dps for vet trials and DLC HM content, or if they would be just fine with lower dps for less pressing content.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually in this setup you would run 2 arena weps tbh though.

I mean this is all a question of if the OP needs to hit max dps for vet trials and DLC HM content, or if they would be just fine with lower dps for less pressing content.

The question seems to be is it worth the effort. Meaning will OP see benefit. Not fi they need to hit max DPS for anything.

The answer is yes, there is a benefit. Of course improving our rotation, getting it down smoothly first, would have the biggest benefit. if they are already there then the vMA would help even more so.

Granted, I am going off what is specifically stated in the OP.
    Edited by idk on February 27, 2019 10:06PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not just meta, way better than the next best which would just be a bow of the normal weapon bar set.

Although, I say not even close, for bows specifically the vDSA master bow is much easier to get (both because of multiple people running it can trade it to you, and DSA is easy) and is fairly close to vMA bow in dps. Always surprised how little people seem to mention this.

They are pretty close single target, or at least they where when I last tested like a year ago. Haha.

The difference is that hail is so much cleave damage, so in fights where you are trying to ignore adds and just use your cleave damage to deal with them (most advanced strats do this), the VMA bow becomes a much better option.