The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Why is my wife's game missing a bunch of files suddenly?

Rhime
Rhime
✭✭
Two returning players who have been playing now for several weeks without much issues, but last night, my wife's game went to the crapper upon loading in. The game acted like she was just just starting for the first time with the escape key not allowing her to cruise past the title screens to the log in screen. She had to go through all the "Eula" jargon screens and choose a server etc. The three mods she was using were missing from her game.
Comparing her ESO files with mine (my game runs perfect), I see a bunch of missing files from within her documents folder (C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live notably that within the live folder, the only file in there is the Addons folder and "Errors, Logs, SavedVariables, Screenshots, AddOnSettings, ShaderCache.cooked and UserSettings" are all missing!
I did an uninstall/reinstall for her and also just ran a repair, but all the files seem to have disappeared.
Any ideas on how to get these back as although ESO stills runs for her, the performance seems to have taken a hit and of course, no mods even show up ingame.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Rhime
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    First check your hard drives, there might be some bad sectors or other problems
    But these folders you mentioned may be not there in the first place, the game creates them when nessessary, so this may be not a problem. In any case if you fully delete and download the game all should be resolved, if problems in game persist, then it is more like your computer (or connection or whatever) problem
    Rawr
  • Rhime
    Rhime
    ✭✭
    If there was no Live folder at all then the game didn't install properly at all, or at least not in the right location. There has to be a Live folder somewhere and it has to have several items even w/o an Addons Folder:

AddOnSettings.txt

ShaderCache.cooked

UserSettings.txt

I found this answer from a few years ago. This is exactly the issue I saw, but you say the game only creates these files when necessary? It appears her install isn't happening correctly?
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Live folder being wonky. Sometimes the game will randomly change where it accesses the Live folder. Every few months, mine will randomly decide to start pulling from Onedrive.
  • Rhime
    Rhime
    ✭✭
    Yup, I found the folder/files in another area of the drive, but not Onedrive. Thanks for the answers!