Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Having problems completing quest lines solo at the level they're posted

SarahTSax
SarahTSax
I've played LOTRO and WOW for 6+ years now and and a solo'er and I am having the worst problem with completing any but the starter quests (am now lvl 9). Very frustrating. I've started an alt in the Ebonhart line and one in the Dominion line but once I get past the initial questline... I'm having probs. Not sure where to go to quest. Frustrating.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its your build, gear, or tactics.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Did you do the starter islands? Right outside of where you wake up is a quest giver that will send you back to the original level 3 - 8 content. If you skip him you will flounder around in pain.

Unfortunately in beta the devs listened to the small group that likes to power level and instead of just providing a boat off of the initial closed in starter islands they moved you to starting in the 1st big zones main city. Initially you didn't even have a bread crumb of a quest to send you back to that missing level 3 - 8 content if you didn't know it was there. It appears it is still very easy to miss that content.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the early zones try to hit every quest in the zone so you don't hit a brick wall of being underleveled as you progress. Craft gear alongside your leveling, the crafted stuff is plenty good to quest with and you will likely not get enough drops or quest rewards to keep your gear at your level without crafting. Dodge and block.
  • SarahTSax
    SarahTSax
    I did the starter island of the zone I'm in and I think I've done everything I can find. Then it's a matter of... hmmmm, now where do I go? Can't find any guides out there on the web yet.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much look at your map, if any of the icons are black, then there's a quest to do there. if there's a big gap between symbols, then check if there's something there. That's how I've found most of the quests.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    You really do need to explore, watch your map, read the books for clues etc. This is not a lead you by the hand, go from npc to npc continuous questline type of game.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is, but only on the region quests (okay, meet the person outside this city and talk to them).

The main questline, and the Mages + Fighters guild, are all level triggered. You'll get a message to go to their respective locations when you hit the minimum level requirement.

The rest of the time? Pick a direction into the wilderness and walk! Keep an eye out on the radar for location markers or the black quest available arrow. Make a beeline for those.
  • SarahTSax
    SarahTSax
    Yes to all of the above. My prob has been completing the last quest in a questline, even though it's meant to be at my level. Have a bunch of them hanging right now and find it frustrating.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Quest?
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Elember
    Elember
    ✭✭✭
    The worst part about quest reward gear is that unless you like two handed weapons you are screwed because 90% or more of the rewards are for two handers....
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been Bows-r-us for this little Bosmer girl.

The bow I'm rocking currently it a quest bow, it's pretty decent, and I've got another that was a random loot drop that I've improved with woodworking, it's a 47 damage with another 12 fire damage. Very cool!

I've had a few bows in quests, and they have all been good or around par for level, and there seems to be enough decent green Maple bows dropped (along with a few blues) as loot.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think some rebalancing might be in Place in this game, TBH. Some mobs go Down way too easy, others pretty much one-shot-kill a Level 9-10 tank even if they're listed as Level 5-6.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    I think some rebalancing might be in Place in this game, TBH. Some mobs go Down way too easy, others pretty much one-shot-kill a Level 9-10 tank even if they're listed as Level 5-6.

Not all mobs are just mobs, check hp bars, some have indicators that this particular mob is one bad ass.
    Ranging from one dot up to three ive seen so far, and dont even wanna know what kind of mob 4 dots would be.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Try switching up your weapons. I usually carry extras above and beyond what is currently equipted. I even invested in cleave so I can use a cone attack if the situation calls for it.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SarahTSax wrote: »
    I did the starter island of the zone I'm in and I think I've done everything I can find. Then it's a matter of... hmmmm, now where do I go? Can't find any guides out there on the web yet.

Can you tell us the name of the starter island? A lot of people think the place where they wake up is the starter island
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »

Yeah like said there are elite mobs, especially in the areas marked with the skull and swords. The health bar looks different
  • Lizard_man
    Lizard_man
    ✭✭
    I'm level 18 currently and I've run into a few bosses that I've had trouble with, a change of tactics and perseverance got me through...

I did have to group up with a couple of players for a certain boss though, he was pretty much immune to every spell I threw at him. It was a nice change though, and I'll be looking to group up more in the future...
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    The 3 starter Islands are

Ebonheart Pact - Bleakrock Isle
    Daggerfall Alliance - Stros M'Kai
    Aldemeri Dominion - Khenathi's Roost.
  • wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For EP and DC, the are 2 starting 'area'. Not 1.they are both quest gated.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes but if you go to the starter island then follow the quests you logically go to the next area in each case.