The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Traits

Salacious
Salacious
✭✭✭
Traits should not take 6 hours to research and we should NOT get one slot. they should be instant or at most 1 hour. and we should get multiple slots.
  • mattriddle
    It gets worse as you research more traits. First per weapon/armor piece is 6 hours, then the second is 12 hours, and it goes up. I hear it can go up to 6 days to research something.

I like the idea of researching while offline, but I do think the times for it shouldn't be that long. Perhaps 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, 8hr, 12hr, 16hr, 20hr, 24hr and then stay at 24hr after that.

Maybe it's their way of forcing people to sub for more than a month, because it'll likely take a month to research everything per item.
    Streaming ESO twitch.tv/matzimazing M-F Noon-4PM EST
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    thats pathetic
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it makes folks who can craft any/all traits rare and therefore makes this worthwhile for crafter's to devote time to, so their services are in demand, rather than making it easy enough that nobody needs a devoted crafter.
  • Saeel
    Saeel
    as you go up in crafting you do get the option of research more then one trait at a time, right now I can research 2 blacksmith traits.
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    Saeel wrote: »
    as you go up in crafting you do get the option of research more then one trait at a time, right now I can research 2 blacksmith traits.

Saeel how do you first access traits? via deconstruction and refining or are they from books?
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    You find the traits on items from drops in the world that have that trait on that specific piece of gear. You then research it from the crafting station. (There is a little book near each of them that tells you how to craft that you can read in game.)

The final trait for each piece of gear will take 32 days to learn. If you do not spend skill points in your crafting perks it will take something like 3.5 years to learn everything. With perks you can cut down the research time and do 3 at once letting you learn everything in about 6 months or so.

Crafting in this game is just as much of a challenge as adventuring and doing dungeons and it will take dedication to master it all.

By the same token if someone wants to just dip a toe in to make a set of gear for themselves they can level to max and just learn the traits and styles they care about and get it much faster... like in a week if you find the right drops quick enough.

I love the way crafting is and really like the fact that I cannot master the craft in one day by selecting "craft all" a couple of times after buying all my mats of the AH.

I am not part of a guild or anything so this has nothing to do with selling to a restricted market. It is about enjoying the game and feeling a sense of achievement when I finally master all crafts on one character from Alchemy to Woodworking.
    Nothing is impossible... there are only differing degrees of probability.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    While I disagree with you that trait research about being instant or an hour at most, I have to agree with you that they should at least lower the time for trait 7 and 8. Seriously, 15 days for trait 7 and a little over a month for the final one? A little bit too much? I think they should cap it at a week or two weeks at absolute max.
  • Gungnr
    Gungnr
    Soul Shriven
    Traits apply to all styles correct? Meaning I can research an Orc Axe with a trait then make a Dark Elf Axe with that trait. If not they need to label all the items per race for clarity's sake.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    @Gungnr‌
    Yes, it applies to all styles and mats used.
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    I would have no issue with the current durations if they were account wide. Then again, splitting it via multiple characters which each researching different traits at the same time would be a temporary resolution.
  • Hellorush
    Hellorush
    ✭✭
    I disagree. Those long researching times is all that prevents economy from Jacks-all-of-trades with every Trait researched. I'd like if everything stayed the way it is
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see "Win the game" button. There should be one.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Telatansiv
    Salacious wrote: »
    Traits should not take 6 hours to research and we should NOT get one slot. they should be instant or at most 1 hour. and we should get multiple slots.
    it's like that so it's fair for endgame you act like this is your first mmo all actions in game are slowly impacting end game like that's why they make crafting level slightly slowly as it goes up to prevent the skyrim dagger grinding

• Howitczar
    Howitczar
    Hellorush wrote: »
    I disagree. Those long researching times is all that prevents economy from Jacks-all-of-trades with every Trait researched. I'd like if everything stayed the way it is

Consider this though.

There are arguably 4 good traits for any armor set that would be most beneficial. Prioritizing these items of any other traits would cap your time to a max of like 6 days.

It seems balanced that if you want to do everything it is an option but at a certain point if you prioritized your skills correctly you certainly wont have to worry about 32 days skill times for a popular trait.

PS. my 32 days will be spent skilling "Training" b/c I see the use in it late game but we're all here to make shiny weapons that can do a boat load of damage.
  • Destabilizator
    Why do you care how long the last trait takes? You can have exactly ONE on the item anyway, so research the useful ones first, then some to round it to 3 so you can craft set and then you can put research on and forget, it won't change a thing.
    Over a month is nothing, you just set it and forget. Well if you are stupid and research Sturdy and other nonsense enchants first and complain that Infused or such take you too long, well you pay the price.
    Vertor et revertor.
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thread already going on about this here.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/70925/researching-should-be-instantaneous#latest

I would suggest a Mod locks this one and keeps the ranting to a single location ;)
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • binn05_ESO
    binn05_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Research times are fine. Don't mess with something that is working fine
    Edited by binn05_ESO on April 7, 2014 6:47PM
    For the Hist and for the March!
  • Baogo
    Baogo
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy the trait system. I think it forces you to pick two crafts and put skills into those crafts. Its all about the choices. Im up to my 4th trait on a couple items and with the first trait skill point unlocked I can do two at once and the 4th one takes 1 day 21 hours(or just for sake of argument 2 days) Which means my 5th will double to just under 4 days and so on...

But it gives me a sense of accomplishment versus grabbing a bunch of gear and just sitting around a crafting table for a day and doing them all. It gives me something to plan as to which items I want to work on and what gear to save for traits. I dont want easy mode. I want something to work for. I think ESO is like a fine wine that you sip versus a beer that you chug.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    Why?

I agree that 6 hours is arbitrary...why is 1 hour better?
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    shadowz081 wrote: »
    While I disagree with you that trait research about being instant or an hour at most, I have to agree with you that they should at least lower the time for trait 7 and 8. Seriously, 15 days for trait 7 and a little over a month for the final one? A little bit too much? I think they should cap it at a week or two weeks at absolute max.

You've never played eve online then? Research there, can take years. In fact the games been out over a decade and there's still thousands of skills a player can learn.. 8 traits.. 32days.. for the last.. that's nothing.

Just to clarify.. you don't deconstruct an item, you research it? And a trait isn't an enchantment.. but an item with a trait, cannot be enchanted?? Is that right? I still haven't found a single trait, except for alchemy and I have no idea how you use traits in alchemy.
    Edited by thilog on April 9, 2014 2:50AM
  • rattbagrwb17_ESO
    rattbagrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Traits are separate from Enchants, an item can have neither, one, the other or both.
    When looking at the stats for a weapon or piece of armor, an enchant is listed just beneath the durability bar.
    A trait is listed below that, with the traits heading above it.

For example, the item in this screenshot:
    http://www.tesoelite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/blacksmithing-improvement-weapon.jpg
    - has an 11 flame damage enchant.
    - has the 'weighted' trait

An item must be created with a trait, and it cannot be changed thereafter.
    An enchantment on an item can be replaced with another enchantment anytime.
    Hope that helps :)

Edit: I forgot to add about learning traits. You must have an item with the trait you want to learn in your inventory. When activating your crafts workbench, there is a 'Research' menu. Select the research menu and locate the item to be researched. The item to be researched will be removed from your inventory and destroyed as part of the research. Once the timer has completed, you will have the ability to create items with this trait.
    Edited by rattbagrwb17_ESO on April 9, 2014 3:14AM
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    gotcha, precise is sharpened and does 2% damage etc, study on armour makes item less likely to degrade when dying.. I put my own items in my inventory and then they started showing up. I was breaking them up, expecting a trait to appear.. wonder how many i've destroyed.
  • freddy_hgnrb18_ESO
    I worked it out today.

In order to research EVERY trait (all available options) for any 1 piece of gear, be it weapon or armour; you are looking at a total of 64 days real time.

Multiply that by 7 for all armour slots of 1 armour type = 448 days
    Multiply that by 3 for all armour types = 1344 days (3.5 years)

And that is without putting skill points into reducing research time, and researching more than 1 trait at a time.

As someone else has said, any player who is detirmined to put this much time into researching for crafting will be VERY sought after by other players. For this reason alone, I am hoping they DONT change one single thing about the crafting / trait research process.

It is not for the casual player to focus in Mastering a crafting profession - I have been researching everything I can, and even with 5 days early access, I've managed to start researching my 6th trait for Bows, and 5th trait for Leather Chest piece (as well as a few other leather pieces)

Its what I want to focus in, as its the gear my character will be using, and I would like to be able to craft the best there is for myself, as well as others who want to benefit from my efforts.
  • Howitczar
    Howitczar
    As someone else has said, any player who is detirmined to put this much time into researching for crafting will be VERY sought after by other players. For this reason alone, I am hoping they DONT change one single thing about the crafting / trait research process.

And they won't do anything about it. There is all this fuss about how long it take but no one so far has taken into consideration the actual reason for the timings. OUTDOOR CRAFTING LOCATIONS.

An entire system of gating in order to achieve extremely powerful, crafter created sets by actually taking the time to research 2+ traits on a single piece of gear. Even Ashen Grip (2 trait crafting location) is extremely power at lower levels because the base proc is something like 10 damage.

Just think of having some of those bad boys in the game right now.

Reference: http://tamrieljournal.com/crafted-item-sets-eso/