Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Has anyone found a crafting book granting a different racial motif yet?

Kingcroft
Kingcroft
✭✭
I assume these books exist, but I haven't found any yet. I try to check every book case; I used to check every crate but I have slowed down on that alittle. Anyway has anyone just found one of these, or is it found as a result of a quest?
  • sully73
    sully73
    ✭✭
    You need to go into houses and check the furniture like trunks nigh stands and cabinets to find them. It's a random drop so it might take awhile
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found three usually in chests/cabinets.
    Edited by kitsinni on April 8, 2014 8:15PM
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I found 2 in coldharbor rescuing Lyris and 1 in a nightstand somewhere or the other.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have access now to all the races on my crafting character. You can most commonly find motifs in houses/rooms (desks, trunks, cabinets, etc). You'll know if it's a container you should regularly check if you ever get one of the motif crafting materials from it.
  • Kingcroft
    Kingcroft
    ✭✭
    Thank you, this is very encouraging. :D
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I have found most of mine in residential and military areas. I found a few in main story quests from the Prophet, mages' guild, and fighters' guild
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Kingcroft wrote: »
    I assume these books exist, but I haven't found any yet. I try to check every book case; I used to check every crate but I have slowed down on that alittle. Anyway has anyone just found one of these, or is it found as a result of a quest?
    Yes, they are completely random. I found the Regard one in a trunk. You will find them in places you'd normally find medium sized loot, like chests and drawers and stuff.

At level 15 I have one found one (1) so far. They are not common at all.

• Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm lvl 17 and have 4 at the moment, but I'm not really a crafter so I've just banked them.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kingcroft wrote: »

Yes I found the ORC Book :)

Not saying where ^^ there are quite a few things to discover, I just played for 15 minutes and found 3 new things ;)
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Yes I have access now to all the races on my crafting character. You can most commonly find motifs in houses/rooms (desks, trunks, cabinets, etc). You'll know if it's a container you should regularly check if you ever get one of the motif crafting materials from it.

Better do this quick before ESO cockblocks us all with the "law" system coming soon. After that it will be a lot harder to rummage through people's houses right in front of them.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, people are finding them. That being said, most of the motifs can easily be purchased from other players for 1000-1500 gold.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better do this quick before ESO cockblocks us all with the "law" system coming soon. After that it will be a lot harder to rummage through people's houses right in front of them.

Hm would they screw over provisioning like that too? I'm not so sure.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all the normal ones now and one rare. Just loot EVERY Desk you find but get in fast, the new law system will stop players from looting every building in normal city's. (Looting building in 'own'ed buildings will be classed as thief and causes issues)
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A law system would be good. Being able to rob someone blind while they are standing right there is just silly.
  • NightRaven713_ESO
    Shimond wrote: »
    Hm would they screw over provisioning like that too? I'm not so sure.

Provisioning is 'covered', at least according to the provisioning guidebook, by being considered 'requisitioning'. It's also why you only get one or two items for a giant barrel or crate - you aren't supposed to empty them, you only have authority to take one item or handful or vial from the civilian supplies. I imagine if the law system covers 'robbing' civilian houses, it'll only kick in if you rifle through their trunks or dressers or nightstands or the like, not if you go for the crates and barrels.

That said, that wouldn't fix recipes, now that they're only found in the dressers/desks/etc., and could cause a problem for the crafting books too, so I guess grab them while you can?
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have. Two complete sets of the basic races, actually.

I admit I found most of mind during the early access period. I'm giving them away as I find them now, but I haven't one since Sunday. On the the other hand, I haven't really been looking, either.
    Edited by MaxBat on April 9, 2014 1:30AM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • daslush_ESO
    daslush_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Great places for books are the first major towns bank with all the cabinets,chests and bags (4 that I recall just from Vulkel Guard bank). Loot them every time you are there. I got a few motiff books and recipes are found by looting everything on one of the trips the Prophet sent me on. I think that was the "Free Lyris" portion of the questline.