Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Something VERY wrong

VoltrenXytech
VoltrenXytech
✭✭
this is my 26th try trying to finish the mission "breaking the shackle" which i have completed with ease with 8 other characters, this time is different though, when it spawns its storm atronach and storm caller mage, it immediately spawns 2 of both mages with 10k health and and atronachs with 135k. MASSIVE FOCKING PROBLEM, they are the single hardest hitting non boss character in the game and now it spawns 2. making this physically impossible, unless your a *** pure player (tank/attack/speed/mage/etc). im sick and tired of this games difficulty skyrocketing, and yet the higher level you are the worse your stats are, I.E. at level 1 you core attributes are 20k each at lvl 500 cr190 my base attributes are 12k mana, 22k health, and 8k stamina. not to mention all gear stats go down the more levels you have it equipped despite the fact that shouldn't happen after cr160 since you cant craft any higher, hell even while typing this i barely survived my 32nd attempt at that quest. THIS NEEDS TO STOP. just as a focusing mindset this game used to be a very calming game to play, run around with friends collect materials fight world bosses, but one day a small group of "HARDCORE OR DEATH" type players somehow convinced everyone that this game needed to be pumped up in difficulty because " hey if your not suffering and not in a bloodthirsty rage its not fun"... BTW i leveled up from that quest and lost 700 stam and 300 mag, what the *** is going on??????????
"ill never trust a Kitsune, but ill always trust a Lamia"
characters: Aliceverron & Rime Fracture-blade
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah calm down.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, let's break down some of what's happening.

First off, some of my advice is predicated on the idea that you can back out, reequip and return to the quest. I've done this quest a couple times and I dont remember how feasible that actually is, so if it isnt, I'm sorry. A work around might be to have one of your other characters collect items and have someone else mail them to you if needed.

1. The loss of stats as you level up is due to Battleleveling. As you level, you are scaled up to CP 160. At low levels, you get plenty of benefit from this because you have few skills and usually bad gear. At higher levels, the benefits drop off as you gain attribute points and skills. Now, yoir battleleveling benefits are tied to your gear as well - so if you've outleveled gear and weapons a while back, you will feel quite weak.

What you can do to address this - I see that you are CP 190 and presumably have CP 160 gear? You might look at equipping set pieces to get a useful 5 piece bonus. Make sure your gear is repaired - 32 tries is a lot of wear and tear.

2. Your stats. 22k health, 12k magicka and 8k stam, is not a good balance of stats, even for a tank.

Here's why. Your magicka skills will deal more damage based on the ammount of magicka you have. Your stamina skills will deal increased damage the more stamina you have. 12k and 8k are tiny amounts, so your skills are hitting comparatively weakly. Then for PVE questing, the best defense is killing enemies quicker than they kill you, so 22k health probably isnt helping much.

What you can do - Are you using a food buff? If not, go get a food or drink that increases your stats. I prefer Dubious Camoran Throne for stamina and Witchmither's Potent Brew for Magicka - both are readily available from guild stores.

Then match your weapon and armor to the resource you use. If magicka, use light armor and a destro staff. If stamina, use medium armor and a Bow, and dual wield or two handed.

(Health, heavy armor, and one hand and shield are all oriented towards tanking, and there's really not a need for a tank in PVE questing before group content. If you do want a tank, you still need to look at food buffs, self-healing skills, skills that give you damage resistance, and how you are going to damage your enemies. Because questing enemies have relatively low health and low damage, its usually not worth it to tank them when you could just focus on killing them faster.)

3. Actually fighting. The fight I remeber struggling the most with in the Main Quest is the one where
    Mannimarco raises waves of miniboss heroes to fight against you because Sai Sahan had the brilliant idea to hide the amulet of kings in a tomb.
    . This one didnt make an impression on me recently, but that's probably because the last character I ran it on has enough DPS to rip through it like wet paper,

Its not uncommon for some quests to become absolute roadblocks for players until you find a method that works.

The simplest (in theory) is likely to be putting a DOT on the enemies, then kiting them with light attacks as you self-heal when needed.

1. If stamina, volley from bow is your damage over time skill. If Magicka, Wall of Elements.

2. Now, your light attack damage will scale up with the matching weapon's resource, so remember all that stuff about matching magicka or stamina and increasing your resource pools? Yeah, it helps with this to.

3. Light attacks dont take resources, so you can spam them and save your magicka/stam for self heals and your damage over time. This is important because right now you have very little magicka and stamina to use. Heavy attacks will restore stamina or magicka depending on the weapon.

4. Use self heals when you need it. If you don't have a self heal, you might consider using health potions or back barring a resto staff even if that doesn't normally make sense for your build.

The more complex strategy is to do a DPS rotation, where you use your skills in a rotation that mixes buffs, DOTs, and single target skills.

In this fight, you'll also want to prioritize certain mechanics. If the mages are giving you headaches, kill them first. The Storm Atronachs have a number of interruptible mechanics that make the fight more annoying if you don't bash them when you see flashing red lines around them.

It can be frustrating to hit fights that roadblock your progress. I hope I was able to break down some of the issues I saw could be causing you problems and offer workable solutions. In any case, good luck saving Tamriel from the Planemeld, Vestige!
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 17, 2019 2:08PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone is not aware that lvl 50 gear is NOT gear cap and actual gear cap is lvl 50, CP 160. You have to really try to make your attributes that low and wearing lvl 50 stuff when you are actually at gear cap will do it to you.
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    sorry that was all a rage quit moment, but i still stand by the wierd thing, why in molag scaly balls do my base attributes get lower?

i NOW have cp 160 armor but my ATTs are still majorly focked up.

as for set pieces: yes im currently trying to start with the health one from deshaan (plague doctor i think)

i run into the issue that i gain 20 lvls last night and now i have to swap out my gear... again
    might help if i give some more details:
    Argonian F Warden
    lvl 50 CR 202
    neither vamp or werewolf
    maxed all 3 classes
    preferred battle axe two handed
    heavy armor with most of its perks
    exact base stats:
    SS: THE LADY
    MX MAG:13,887 MAG RE: 601
    MX HEA 17,491 HEA RE: 309
    MX STA 9,373 STA RE: 575
    MAG: 24 HEA: 40 STA:0
    SPELL & PHYS RESIST: 2752

all that without any armor
    WITHOUT CHANGING MY CLASS OR RACE

Is it possible to make a moderate/good take with some mild DPS and crowd control?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . .why in molag scaly balls do my base attributes get lower?

Because that is the way the game works. The extra stats at the start help you and as you level, you unlock passives and active skills and get sets of armor that more make up for the flat amount of stats you get when you are lower.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also fyi, the game is easier than it used to be not harder. But there's some very useful advice above, and you dont need to play a meta or "straight" spec at all to completely main game quests. But you do probably need to wear at least 1 5pc set, make sure you have skill points for all of your class passives, racial passives etc and that you have a way of doing damage and staying alive.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for adding your character build!

So, it looks like you are building closer to a tank build with the info you posted. In my experience, tanks can do okay while questing, but it'll take you a long time to kill anything.

If you want to be tanky, Plague Doctor is a good set for that. i'd still recommend higher stamina, a food buff, a bow for your back bar, and use Frost Cloak and one of the warden self-heals.

However, if you want to do better DPS, you need 4 things:
    1. A bow
    2. More stamina
    3. Medium armor
    4. A food buff that helps with health/stamina

In greater detail:
    Argonian Warden is fine. Changing class and race for higher DPS is only necessary at top tier end game content, which you are just doing overland questing for now.

1. You need to back bar a bow to pair with your battle axe. I've done this on a stam warden myself and it works well. The Bow gives you damage over time skills like Endless Hail and Poison Injection, which will make dealing with mobs much easier.

Start with your bow DOTs, then swap to your battleaxe for single target skills, using Reverse Slash when enemies drop into execute range.

2. Remember that your battle axe damage will increase the more stamina you have. 9k stamina is really, really low. Aim for at least 25 to 30k stamina.

3. Medium armor passives will make it easier to do DPS with stamina based skills. Hundings Rage is a good crafted set that's commonly for sale. Spriggans is a good dropped set from Bangkorai. There are plenty of other good medium armor sets for DPS.

4. Again, food or drink buffs that increase your stamina will increase your damage as well and make DPS easier.

If I were going to do a basic overland stam warden built to do damage, I would use:
    Bow: Endless Hail, Poison Injection (both are powerful damage over time skills)
    Battleaxe: Reverse Slash (execute)
    Warden: Bull Netch (sustain), Subterranean Assault, Cutting Dive, Soothing Spores (self heal) or Green Lotus (self heal), Frost Cloak (defensive extra resistances)

Your ultimate can be whatever you want in terms of more damage, the companion bear, or a heal from the Warden line.
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    i am now painfully aware there is a build (i dont know what it consists of) that allows a warden to literally walts through a delve almost instakilling enemies, now THAT would be a nice build instead of a mild tank/dps build, all i can tell was they focused on the ice tree with some mild animal tree, and that they were of one of the human races(not sure if that even matters) they also were using a staff, not sure of their armor though they had the graht wood active gear costume on
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    im going to go ahead and make a new thread in a more.... relevant catagory
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/459638/lets-see-if-we-can-fix-my-train-wreck-of-a-character/p1?new=1

thats the new thread incase any of you have anymore insight for different builds
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VoltrenXytech have you read @VaranisArano replies? They give you some great intel.

You aren't working with the system right now, get your head round it and you will easily melt thing's
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    @Beardimus
    ive seen them, im just painfully aware it will takes minimum of 16 days to get some of the pieces needed, im also painfully aware that i may have reached a burn out point, i cant wrap my head around how the elder scrolls games, a series about making a character of any race you want and play just about any style you want, has become if your not {insert race here} and {insert class here} you will NEVER be able to play endgame at all... i understand the " there will always be a bigger fish" theory but if it were possible id have been content with just making a casual explorer, dungeoneer and crafter, but i guess being a casual gamer is not allowed for ESO
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    i wrote down the stamina DPS build though for later, but im on Xbox so i have to build/loot every piece, our player market almost completely collapsed last year, and all the prices are still massively inflated with very few sellers of anything not massively overpriced
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VoltrenXytech i cant wrap my head around how the elder scrolls games,

Because this is an mmo first. Then a ES game. As far as I am concerned, you can run whatever you want and complete all the content in the game, as long as you understand the mechanics of the game. Maybe not vet timed trials but I doubt you are the kind of person that cares about that, I know I am not.
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭

Because this is an mmo first. Then a ES game. As far as I am concerned, you can run whatever you want and complete all the content in the game, as long as you understand the mechanics of the game. Maybe not vet timed trials but I doubt you are the kind of person that cares about that, I know I am not.

everything after summerset has a massive spike in difficulty, if you cant learn moderately good builds, you massively struggle, they did this in order to "challenge players" because a group was complaining that "the new content wasn't hard enough"

this is what im struggling with, before this update i managed to finish all non dungeon DLCs and everything, then the next update introduce a massive death bug for end game characters, i lost that character and am being forced to complete it all again, except the difficulty is 4 times harder, and the enemies in summerset can stack infinite poison debuffs ( which BTW ignores all argonian passives)
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

everything after summerset has a massive spike in difficulty, if you cant learn moderately good builds, you massively struggle, they did this in order to "challenge players" because a group was complaining that "the new content wasn't hard enough"

this is what im struggling with, before this update i managed to finish all non dungeon DLCs and everything, then the next update introduce a massive death bug for end game characters, i lost that character and am being forced to complete it all again, except the difficulty is 4 times harder, and the enemies in summerset can stack infinite poison debuffs ( which BTW ignores all argonian passives)

Okay, maybe because I have been playing for 4 years but I have no idea what you mean by massive spike in difficulty. Overland stuff is as easy as it has been since they made all zones the same level the dlc dungeons, while a pain and really no fun, can be completed on normal by the most off the wall builds. Vet stuff is supposed to be hard and while I do agree with the way the game has been going in difficulty, looking at one hits and such, if you know how to play the game and have at least a competent understanding of build, ie, using the right kind of gear for your build, like Stam sets for Stam toons and mag sets for mag toons, you ought to be able to complete the dlc dungeons on vet. Now whether or not you like that sort of difficulty, I do not, my hands start to sweet cause I have to try hard, you can complete it. All my toons use different sets, maybe one meta set between them, and they all get by just fine, my tanks have done it all and my healers too. My DPS isn't even great, only ~30k and that is enough to complete.

No idea what you mean by massive death bug either. I have 10 toons and never heard of such a thing.

Also, "am being forced to complete it all again" no one is forcing you to do anything. This is a video game. If you don't want to play, don't.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 18, 2019 12:21PM
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    the massive death bug is just a stupid little name for an annoying 1 out 2 million chance bug. basically it makes all crafted objects stats 0, including all armor weapons potions enchantments food. my character who had lvl 50 in literally everything except pvp based skill lines got hit by it.... i tried to get it sorted out by support(actually very surprising, they couldn't do anything about it) because of said bug you couldn't earn gold or go and gather items from mobs because all your skills also did a whopping 0 damage... i lost a massive 12k crowns worth of motifs. and ill never have it back

the difficulty spike is only in certain areas, like anything morrowind and later, the fighter guild quest line ( all dwarven spheres in the dwarven ruins got 250k health which was almost double all the bosses in the entire quest-line) or my all time favorite the sea viper field boss who now has 3 times the health he had with 3 times the DPS because "field bosses are not hard enough

by "being forced to do it over again" i mean if i want to continue playing i have to do it all over again, literally anyone would be pissed if they had lost that MASSIVE amount of progress, i literally lost my main character i had since the game launched on Xbox
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the massive death bug is just a stupid little name for an annoying 1 out 2 million chance bug. basically it makes all crafted objects stats 0, including all armor weapons potions enchantments food. my character who had lvl 50 in literally everything except pvp based skill lines got hit by it.... i tried to get it sorted out by support(actually very surprising, they couldn't do anything about it) because of said bug you couldn't earn gold or go and gather items from mobs because all your skills also did a whopping 0 damage... i lost a massive 12k crowns worth of motifs. and ill never have it back

i have literally never heard of this and i have been around a long time, i am very weary to believe you. there is nothing on google that says anything like what you are saying, https://www.google.com/search?ei=5dpqXIihBKvZjwT6kqqQBg&q=the+massive+death+bug+eso&oq=the+massive+death+bug+eso&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1437.1908..2132...0.0..0.116.393.3j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i22i29i30j33i160.9vszpa7sU5o

if you bought motif with crowns, i mean what would make you do that?
    the difficulty spike is only in certain areas, like anything morrowind and later, the fighter guild quest line ( all dwarven spheres in the dwarven ruins got 250k health which was almost double all the bosses in the entire quest-line) or my all time favorite the sea viper field boss who now has 3 times the health he had with 3 times the DPS because "field bosses are not hard enough

are you really saying a mob with 250k health is difficult? with only 15k dps, that is like 17 seconds. hardly anything. what is a "field boss"? do you mean a world boss?

by "being forced to do it over again" i mean if i want to continue playing i have to do it all over again, literally anyone would be pissed if they had lost that MASSIVE amount of progress, i literally lost my main character i had since the game launched on Xbox

man, if what you are saying happened, happened, that being losing my main, i would just stop playing and i have 175 in game days played, that is ~4200 hours.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 18, 2019 4:19PM
  • VoltrenXytech
    VoltrenXytech
    ✭✭
    this was back when getting the glass motif and imperial motif were astronomically impossible, so i spent 10k crowns to get them, then i bought 20 crown riding capacity because also back then gold was tricky to gain, especially if you didn't do PvP, there were no battle grounds, hell this was before summereset.

as for not finding it(i was just calling a massive death bug cause it doesn't have a name as far as im aware), why do you think i had a post on here about it and it stayed empty for 2 FOCKING YEARS (still very pissed about it) i even submitted evidence through the bug reporter on the help menu in game, but i later found out that it was completely busted until shadows of the hist came out. as far as i can tell i may have been the only person, or it had happend to a bunch of people who already quite the game.

and i quit the game for nearly 10 months because of it, then one of my friend conned me into getting back in, the game is not bad, but there bug fixers are not great, there are a crap ton of day 1 bugs still around for *** sake

and i reiterate IF YOU CANT GRASP BUILDS YOU WILL HAVE A MASSIVE STRUGGLE WITH THE DIFFICULTY SPIKE, my dps is 8k, i stupidly tried to make a tank not realizing in this game you have to sacrifice literally all of your dps, and yes i mean world boss