Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Newb

Soke
Soke
Hey, I'm pretty new to this game, so new in fact it's still downloading. I am not new to MMORPG's I have been play WoW since 2004, and looking forward to a change in scenery.

I like exploring and crafting, can anyone give me some tips on character, class and faction selection? any help is welcomed!
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly it's probably best if you just jump right in. We could certainly say things like "this faction is kicking more ass in Cyrodiil" or "this faction has less bugged quests" but nobody is going to tell you which scenery you'll find more appealing, or which race and class you'll enjoy playing.
  • Soke
    Soke
    Thanks for the reply. I'll do just that and see how it goes. As for bugs, I expect a few with the game just being launched.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    If you have played any of the TES games before I can tell you it's something like those so class and race are just one part the game play. In other ways it's not much like other TES games at all. I would suggest reading some of the forums and guides devoted each class before starting as well as checking out the general guide in my sig. @Shimond‌ is right, though. There is no substitute for your own experience.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If lore matters to you in selection of race and alliance, go here.

As far as classes and racial bonuses go, go here.

As far as class advice goes, the classes are very hybrid in nature - meaning you aren't locking yourself into a certain playstyle by choosing one or the other. I personally found it beneficial to create several characters and run around in the starter islands and see how I felt about them.

Just general advice, be on the same megaserver and in the same alliance as your friends. Don't skip the starter island and in the early zones try to hit every quest in the zone so you don't hit a brick wall of being underleveled as you progress. Craft gear alongside your leveling, the crafted stuff is plenty good to quest with and you will likely not get enough drops or quest rewards to keep your gear at your level without crafting. Don't buy gear from vendors, it is a huge waste of gold that you will want later for bag/bank space.
  • Evekial
    Evekial
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly new to ESO as well, I have decided to just have fun leveling up at the moment and not worrying too much about it. Later on down the line I'll probably respec into a better build, I just made character choices on how I know I'll prob play the game, if that does not work, reroll another character or an alt.
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    definitely check out the new player guide :) I too love exploring and crafting- but I recommend not trying to craft too much at once. When you hit VR, you'll have many more skill points so it won't be a big deal. In the beginning though, you might want to focus on clothing for example, make a set of +exploration gear, and then venture forth! :D
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Soke wrote: »
    Hey, I'm pretty new to this game, so new in fact it's still downloading. I am not new to MMORPG's I have been play WoW since 2004, and looking forward to a change in scenery.

I like exploring and crafting, can anyone give me some tips on character, class and faction selection? any help is welcomed!
    They are all the same, except for racial motifs. Racial motifs only affect the look of stuff you craft. You automatically get your native race's motif at the start. But you can find other motifs in the game.

You do not need skills or blueprints for any items. Everyone can craft all items by default. The only difference is how good it is. But anyone can immediately start crafting any item, without training or drops.

You will need to put some of your skill points into crafting trees to advance though, if you want to craft the good stuff.

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try this thread if you are unsure of your skills to take.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide

And this one if you are on the fence about PvPing.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64764/the-new-to-teso-pvp-guide

Both are well written and the guy is awesome for taking the time to write em up.