The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dots need improvement

LegacyDM
LegacyDM
✭✭✭✭✭
I’m a mageblade.

Why are there no armor sets that directly increase dot damage?

Why are dots so easily countered? (Cleansed, purged, etc)

Why are dots weak?

As a mageblade my damage skills are lotus fan and cripple. Even if I stack flame reach on top it still tickles people or get cleansed. Even with full investment in thurmaturge and other cp it sucks. Why does burst do stupidly high in this game but when it comes to dots (unless your a jabs Templar or bleeds) it blows hard. As a rangeblade with most of my skills being dots it’s just terrible.

Hey Zos You know, necromancers specialize in dots right? If you give necromancers the same dot treatment as mageblades, good luck with your sales.
Edited by LegacyDM on February 16, 2019 7:48PM
Legacy of Kain
Vicious Carnage
¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am keeping my eye on this problem for a very , very long time. Normal dots are very weak compared to bleeds because of all the penetration nerfs. In one tamriel I used crusher enchant+sharpened+spriggans(+fury/blackrose) for my stamDK, and my dots would hit people really really hard. In return I lacked healing, penetration is the best form of damage you can get , however it comes with lack of healing. For this reason alone I never liked how they overbuffed nirn and infused but overnerfed sharpened.(plus the penetration sets, and they wonder why medium has no good sets)

Since then both penetration and sustain took very heavy hits. Thats why bleeds overperform right now. They proc for free, do more damage than my class dots and also require no sustain or penetration to work. Passive procs don't even require skill slots. But if I want my normal dots to do good damage I need a 2h mace, but that costs me a free bleed, why would I want that? See the problem in this design choice?

Also the way they changed cloak (ignores dot damage) killed dot builds to a degree. There are A LOT of nightblades and them having the ability to ignore dot damage is simply not fair.

So in a nutshell, I would like a general buff to penetration in PvP, I think people are too tanky. And the current state of magblade also needs buffing. However cloak at this point really needs to work in a fair way because its a BIG part of this problem.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 17, 2019 1:46AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you should brush up on your knowledge of ESO ... I'll give you a few nuggets for consumption though:

LegacyDM wrote: »
    Well ... there are armor sets that do just that. Zaan (a monster set) increases the damage of its beam dot by 50% for every tick. Also, the vMA bow increases volley damage with every dot tick ... it's a prized possession for PvE stamina players.
    Well, purge and cleanse are nice options. However, the magicka cost for each of those is (appropriately) very high ... and makes for interesting decisions on whether a player will slot it on their bar.
    Why are dots weak?
    Dots are not weak with the right player and the right build.

If you've been reading the PTS forums, players are pulling 50k dps on a pet sorc ... simply by layering their dots and weaving in light attacks.

Ever seen a PvP raid ball group ultimate dump with several Eye of the Storm Destruction Staff ultimates? Yeah, those do a lot of damage ... and you have to get out of the path of those dots.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on February 17, 2019 1:45AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you should brush up on your knowledge of ESO ... I'll give you a few nuggets for consumption though:

Well ... there are armor sets that do just that. Zaan (a monster set) increases the damage of its beam dot by 50% for every tick. Also, the vMA bow increases volley damage with every dot tick ... it's a prized possession for PvE stamina players.
    Well, purge and cleanse are nice options. However, the magicka cost for each of those is (appropriately) very high ... and makes for interesting decisions on whether a player will slot it on their bar.
    Why are dots weak?

If you've been reading the PTS forums, players are pulling 50k dps on a pet sorc ... simply by layering their dots and weaving in light attacks.

Ever seen a PvP raid ball group ultimate dump with several Eye of the Storm Destruction Staff ultimates? Yeah, those do a lot of damage ... and you have to get out of the path of those dots.

EOTS ball groups are a relic of past at this point. And no EOTS is not a regular dot. Its an AoE that you can't purge.
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are dots weak?

EOTS ball groups are a relic of past at this point. And no EOTS is not a regular dot. Its an AoE that you can't purge.

All ground based AOEs are DoTs.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ajax_22 wrote: »

Why are dots weak?

But they are not ground dots, they don't follow the same rules, they can't be purged, can't be lol'd by cloak, can't be dodged, thats why I said not regular dots, Learn 2 Read, thank you very much..

Besides the morph we refer to is NOT GROUND BASED. It follows the caster around.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 17, 2019 3:49AM
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are dots weak?

But they are not ground dots, they don't follow the same rules, they can't be purged, can't be lol'd by cloak, can't be dodged, thats why I said not regular dots, Learn 2 Read, thank you very much..

Besides the morph we refer to is NOT GROUND BASED. It follows the caster around.

They are DoTs. That's how they're encoded into the game. They can't be purged, because purge removes negative effects applied to the player. EoTS is still considered a DoT, just like Proximity Detonation.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why are dots weak?

They are DoTs. That's how they're encoded into the game. They can't be purged, because purge removes negative effects applied to the player. EoTS is still considered a DoT, just like Proximity Detonation.

Its not a dot

versus

Its not a regular dot

Do you even read mate? I know it scales from thaum. that is not the point here.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 17, 2019 5:42AM
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried slotting more damage skills?
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bleed meta we are in right now.. I don't want to see any more DoT's become comparably strong to be perfectly honest with you.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »
    This bleed meta we are in right now.. I don't want to see any more DoT's become comparably strong to be perfectly honest with you.

well yes and no...Bleeds just have to go for good

They were intended to bring tanky build down, however they always deal the same, supid hiigh dmg to the fight, no matter if the enemy is a full heavay armored Tank, which is just here to stay alive as long as possible to bind up ppl in a fight, or of the enemy is a Light armored sorc

the DMG of Bleeds is too high, and is outdated since the day it became strong.
    ST Dots are a joke in this game IMO.

It cant be, that the INitial DMG high (the direct dmg hit) does more or the same DMG than the DOT does over its whole duration.
    Same goes for groundbased DOTS like Eruption....even further into groundbased DOTS
    Why does Eruption deal way more DMG on a ST dummyparse than ST DOTS do? ....(logic off pls)

Yeah you can run out of them blabla, aint the case in PVE tbh, AI too stupid for this.

in PVP...the Cost is way to high anyways so that noone uses it...

And to add to the misery in PVP...templars can instantly Purge themself off up to 7 DOTS, while other classes have to rely on "Efficient Purge" or a templar synergy to get rid of at minimum 0 Dots cause the RNG from Purge thought...lets purge the dude right next to me (the caster) even he's only affected by eledrain (major frac and breach)

Give every class the chance to slott a purge which purges up to 5 DOTS with a 100% guarantee that it hits only the caster.
    Edited by SaintSubwayy on February 17, 2019 10:46AM
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Why does Eruption deal way more DMG on a ST dummyparse than ST DOTS do?

Because mobs/players can just move out of ground based aoes, single target ones, you do not get that. Also, ground aoes usually only do damage, single target dots have other effects, like the snare on rending or the stun/knockback/immobilization on clench.
    .templars can instantly Purge themself off up to 7 DOTS,

It is 5, not 7. Templars really have nothing else going for them in PvP, defensively.
    . Give every class the chance to slott a purge which purges up to 5 DOTS with a 100% guarantee that it hits only the caster.

Sure, right after you give every class 3 seconds of invisibility or 6 seconds of refection, etc.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 17, 2019 11:08AM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah a lot of people here are misunderstanding the OP.

Dots in the literal sense are not weak in eso, especially if you are simply looking at what is considered literal damage over time. But that isnt the angle here. The reality is there are very few options for a ranged caster to play an offensive dot based kiting build similar to wows locks or Shadow priests, or swtors madness sorcs etc etc.

Sloads was a potential candidate to enable such a build but for various reasons regarding how eso hands out these sets, who can make use of them, and how easily dots are purged, these type of caster builds that are player favorites in other mmos do not really function here.
    Edited by exeeter702 on February 17, 2019 5:35PM