The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Research Should Have Options Across All Alts

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It finally hit me that I can only see which items I have that help my current character, not all my possible alts. I know the PC has some addons, but none of those are on the PS4.

I would really like the research interface to help me save (and only save) items that are needed across my characters, not just the current character.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a great idea, @FlopsyPrince, even though it may not be a new idea.

When your crafting main is feeding research pieces to your Alts, it’s nice not to have to change characters to see what still needs to be researched.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry too much. If one character deconstructs an item they know, but another doesn't, then that's because they have the knowledge to make another to replace it. They can make that out of the rank 1 material, which means you're not wasting mats. Research gives you nothing back from an item other than the trait, so it's better done on a white one.

But then you have a different reason for wanting to know what the other characters can make, when you have a specific trait you want to research. I think that's a bit less of an issue.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Don't worry too much. If one character deconstructs an item they know, but another doesn't, then that's because they have the knowledge to make another to replace it. They can make that out of the rank 1 material, which means you're not wasting mats. Research gives you nothing back from an item other than the trait, so it's better done on a white one.

But then you have a different reason for wanting to know what the other characters can make, when you have a specific trait you want to research. I think that's a bit less of an issue.

I always want to max everything I can in my alts, though just making a level 1 item for the others to deconstruct sounds great in theory, it is bumpy in practice for some things that are rare, such as jewelry.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

I always want to max everything I can in my alts, though just making a level 1 item for the others to deconstruct sounds great in theory, it is bumpy in practice for some things that are rare, such as jewelry.

For jewelry, yes, that would be more difficult/costly to craft research items for alts, for many of the traits. However, for the other gear crafts, it's pretty easy to get the trait stones and craft level 1 gear for research. That's what I've done for all my alts that have done research - my main crafted research gear for them. I'm on XB, so I had to create a spreadsheet to track everyone's research progress.

Thus, even if you were to craft research items for your alts, having the ability to see the research needs of all your characters would be helpful.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did look at other crafting and it does look more affordable there.

I am running for more skyshards on my alts to at least get research up as high as I can to eat up the huge amount of bank space I am wasting. The system does a really poor job telling you what you really need to keep, unfortunately.
    PC
    PS4/PS5