Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What are the basics?

Zaketh
Zaketh
✭✭✭
Don't know that I'd consider myself a noob anymore; I've played on and off since the beta. More off than on in the last 2 years or so though. I've recently picked up a PS4 and started playing on that, along with the missus. I know people will/might poopoo the console vs computer thing, but I'm in data processing, and at a keyboard enough during the week.

I've a templar @ approximately 225 CP, and a NB around lvl 35.
I created a warden and a DK for curiosity's sake, and am wondering what are the basic setups for both, equipment-wise only.
I understand loads of players min/max to run the hardest of the hard, and I do appreciate the effort it takes, but I'm just playing a game, for me.
So, wardens wield a staff, if I'm not mistaken? Leather or cloth 'armor'?
Dragon knights 2-hander or dual-wield?
I'm sure , as time goes on, and my boys get all growed up, I'll be expanding their builds, but for now I want to keep it KISS simple, for my sake
NA PS4

Best Answers

• commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every class can be good in any spec. DKs are ecpecially good as tanks or more or less stam DD, Wardens are good tanks and healers and more or less stam|mana DD.
    Which one do you like?
    Anyway, for starting gear
    for stamina you can take hunding + spriggan/briar/VO
    for mana take Julianos + Mother Sorrow/Burning Spellweave

These are quite easily obtainable. If it is not enough, than specify your: Spec, Role and content you want to do (CP PvP, non-CP PvP, vMA, questing, trials etc.)
    Rawr
    Answer ✓
  • Zaketh
    Zaketh
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the quick reply, commdt.
    I appreciate it, I do, but what I really want is THE basics.
    What type of gear, plain and simple. I will be fleshing them out with
    better builds as they evolve, but for now I want to be sure
    I'm gearing them properly, like a NB dual wielding daggers, as opposed to a staff, and so on
    NA PS4
    Answer ✓
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Than I can only tell that personally in solo I had some fun with 2H + Bow medium armor stam DK and Destro/Destro light armor mana Warden
    But then again, they will be fine in any setup
    Edited by commdt on February 15, 2019 12:19PM
    Rawr
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basic, basic setup principles are:

Using Magicka? Wear Light Armor and use a Destruction Staff. Wall of Elements from destro staff is your bread and butter DOT.

Using Stamina? Wear medium armor and use a Bow, and then either dual wield or two handed. Dual Wield is generally preferred for PVE. Volley from Bow is your main DOT.

Want to heal? Use magicka, light armor, and a Restoration Staff. Healing Springs is your basic heal.

Want to tank? Use heavy armor to acquire health (sets like Plague Doctor or Ebon Armory), use One Hand and Shield for the taunt from Puncture and other debuffs.

Now, those are the basic basics, and there's lots of variation that you can do on those themes.

But because ESO scales magicka damage with max magicka, and stamina damage with max stamina, it pays to match your weapons and armor according to the resource you use and the role you want to play.
    Answer ✓
  • Zaketh
    Zaketh
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot guys. Very helpful.
    One last question for the time being;
    Is/are there any advantage(s) to 'maining' stamina or magicka over the other for any role?
    NA PS4
    Answer ✓
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zaketh wrote: »
    Is/are there any advantage(s) to 'maining' stamina or magicka over the other for any role?

For now Magicka is more profitable (because many endgame trial mechanics dont allow you to be in meleee and shield is very powerful for defence), but not in case of DK, because mag DK is also melee and dont have any execute ability. So if you want to be DD, take stam DK and mag warden, but youd better be off with tank/healer warden and tank DK as an ultimate goal for late endgame, because in that they shine
    Rawr
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers are usually magicka. There's a lot more magicka healing than stamina based heals.

Tanks can be either, but will use stamina for blocking.

Stamina DPS using dual wield tends to fight in melee range and Magicka DPS has an easier time fighting from range. This can make a difference for pulling top DPS in some fights and in trials as some fights are done better from range. Otherwise, both are excellent at DPS. So short of top tier end game content, there's no real advantage.

To some degree, it comes down to how you want to play. With the exception of Warden, most stamina builds have a few class skills and mostly rely on their weapons skills. Most magicka builds get more flavor from their class and a few staff skills. They all play differently though and can be a lot of fun.

My bad. I think I meant class, not role; like stamNB over magNB and so on

Ah, well, that depends a little on how you want to play. The meta will always change on what's the preferred build for a class, so if you want to do trials, that will change pretty much with every update. For dungeons, ,anything should be fine.

So I'll keep this general.

Healer: Mag Templar, Mag Warden (Every mag build can heal, these have the most class skills for that playstyle)

Tank: Dragonknights and Wardens. (Every class can tank, these have the most class skills. Stam or Mag will work.)

DPS: Every Mag/Stam class can DPS. The way you do it will be different. For example, Stam Sorcs have excellent AOE damage but less single target DPS than the rest of the Stam builds. Mag Sorcs have a class damage shield and pet builds or no-pet builds. MagDKs use Fire DOTs, Stam DKs use poison DOTs because of the class skill morphs, etc.

Like I said, for regular play it may come down to whether you want to use staffs or weapons, or whether you want to use your class skils more or your weapon skills.
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers are usually magicka. There's a lot more magicka healing than stamina based heals.

Stamina DPS using dual wield tends to fight in melee range and Magicka DPS has an easier time fighting from range. This can make a difference for pulling top DPS in some fights and in trials as some fights are done better from range. Otherwise, both are excellent at DPS. So short of top tier end game content, there's no real advantage.

To some degree, it comes down to how you want to play. With the exception of Warden, most stamina builds have a few class skills and mostly rely on their weapons skills. Most magicka builds get more flavor from their class and a few staff skills. They all play differently though and can be a lot of fun.
  • Zaketh
    Zaketh
    ✭✭✭

My bad. I think I meant class, not role; like stamNB over magNB and so on
    NA PS4
  • Zaketh
    Zaketh
    ✭✭✭
    So, stam warden for tank/dps then?
    As to endgame, been there/done that for ~14 years in WoW
    Kinda tired of chasing, tbh.

Thanks again, to both of you for your quick responses
    NA PS4