Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Five Piece Sets. Does it matter which piece of equipment is part of the five pieces?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Just reached level 50 with my new DK tank set up with S&B. Using him solely for tanking purposes. My setup will be Torug's and Ebon coupled with Monster Helms. Tried googling this but no luck maybe it's just obvious and I'm asking a Mr. Obvious question.

One set up I read has Shoes, Waist, Gauntlets, Legs and Chest = Ebon. Rings, Necklace, Sword and Shields = Torugs, light and Medium/Light Monster set which got me to wondering. Does it matter which slots are used to make out your five piece set to get the bonuses? Could you not use Rings, Neck, Heavy Chest and Legs as Ebon and Shoes, Waist, Gauntlets, Shield and Sword as Torugs? Or even just a plain mix and match one ring Ebon, the other Torug?

My Monster Set is Bloodspawn both Heavy and I've got all the Ebon except the Chest and my main is a master crafter so making Torugs is easy enough. I'm thinking this if it does not matter since I already have the Monster Set in Heavy and the jewelry in Torugs.

Heavy Helm and Shoulders Monster
Heavy Ebon Chest, Legs and Shoes
Light Ebon Waist and Gauntlets
Torugs Rings, Neck, Shields and Swords

Thanks in Advance.

• Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the most part, no It doesn't matter. However for ebon in particular, you don't want it on your weapons as every time you barswap everyone looses the buff for a second.

Edit: I'm assuming it's a typo but ebon only comes in heavy so you can't have light waist and gauntlets.
    Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on February 12, 2019 6:02PM
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to ask this also about the armor champion points for wearing 5 pieces too.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    I was going to ask this also about the armor champion points for wearing 5 pieces too.

As long as you have those 5 pieces equipped you will receive the bonuses. You probably lose the effect if your armor breaks as that can disable armor skills so I assume it works the same.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One reason you are seeing that specific set up is that those are the pieces you would want if you were to transition to an Ebon/Alkosh setup, since Alkosh is a medium set and is run as jewelry/weapons.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. Typo sort of on the Ebon light and medium. I'll run this for now and look into upgrading the Torug's once I get more familiar with being a tank.

Light or Medium Monster Helm and Shoulders (depending on which size I get to drop first for the helm, I only have heavy atm)
    Heavy Ebon Chest, Legs, Waist, Gauntlets and Shoes
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you have those 5 pieces equipped you will receive the bonuses. You probably lose the effect if your armor breaks as that can disable armor skills so I assume it works the same.

For one of the 5 piece sets I a shoulder and waist. The rest is jewelry is that ok?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For one of the 5 piece sets I a shoulder and waist. The rest is jewelry is that ok?

I'm not positive I understand this question combined with your earlier question, but I'll give it a shot. For the set bonuses, 2 body/3 jewelry is fine. For armor bonuses (like the spell concentration passive in light armor, and the CP bonus to physical resistance for 5 pieces of armor in a given weight), that is only 2 pieces of armor. Jewelry does not count as light, medium, or heavy armor no matter what the set is.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The key is to make sure you are not losing stacks/buffs when you bar swap due to changing sets. I don't tank, so the only practical example I can think of is Vicious Ophidian's 5th piece bonus or Relequen's stacking buffs. If you wear all 5 body pieces of those respective sets, you don't have to worry about losing stacks/buffs when you bar swap.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some info re sets:

When your'e looking to put together a 5 piece set, armor rating needs to be taken into account. It makes sense to have your armor rating as high as possible.

ARMOR RATING
    Level 1- Chest
    Level 2 - Helmet, Legs, Shoulders, Boots
    Level 3 - Gloves
    Level 4 - Belt

OPTIMAL SETUPS

HEAVY 5/1/1
    1 MEDIUM - GLOVES
    1 LIGHT - BELT
    5 HEAVY - CHEST, LEGS, SHOULDERS, BOOTS

MEDIUM 5/1/1
    1 HEAVY - CHEST
    1 LIGHT - BELT
    5 MEDIUM - LEGS, SHOULDERS, BOOTS, GLOVES

LIGHT 5/1/1
    1 HEAVY - CHEST
    1 MEDIUM - LEGS*
    5 LIGHT - HEAD, BELT, SHOULDERS, GLOVES, SHOES

* Or swap the legs out with any of the other Level 2 rated gear
    Edited by marius_buys on February 14, 2019 9:38AM
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reached level 50 with my new DK tank set up with S&B. Using him solely for tanking purposes. My setup will be Torug's and Ebon coupled with Monster Helms. Tried googling this but no luck maybe it's just obvious and I'm asking a Mr. Obvious question.

One set up I read has Shoes, Waist, Gauntlets, Legs and Chest = Ebon. Rings, Necklace, Sword and Shields = Torugs, light and Medium/Light Monster set which got me to wondering. Does it matter which slots are used to make out your five piece set to get the bonuses? Could you not use Rings, Neck, Heavy Chest and Legs as Ebon and Shoes, Waist, Gauntlets, Shield and Sword as Torugs? Or even just a plain mix and match one ring Ebon, the other Torug?

My Monster Set is Bloodspawn both Heavy and I've got all the Ebon except the Chest and my main is a master crafter so making Torugs is easy enough. I'm thinking this if it does not matter since I already have the Monster Set in Heavy and the jewelry in Torugs.

Heavy Helm and Shoulders Monster
    Heavy Ebon Chest, Legs and Shoes
    Light Ebon Waist and Gauntlets

Thanks in Advance.

Light Ebon Waist and Gauntlets was the place where you could go wrong but if your'e play 5H/2L the hands and waist is where the light should be. So your'e setup is 100%
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some info re sets:

When your'e looking to put together a 5 piece set, armor rating needs to be taken into account. It makes sense to have your armor rating as high as possible.

ARMOR RATING
    Level 1- Chest
    Level 2 - Helmet, Legs, Shoulders, Boots
    Level 3 - Gloves
    Level 4 - Belt

OPTIMAL SETUPS

HEAVY 5/1/1
    1 MEDIUM - GLOVES
    1 LIGHT - BELT
    5 HEAVY - CHEST, LEGS, SHOULDERS, BOOTS

MEDIUM 5/1/1
    1 HEAVY - CHEST
    1 LIGHT - BELT
    5 MEDIUM - LEGS, SHOULDERS, BOOTS, GLOVES

LIGHT 5/1/1
    1 HEAVY - CHEST
    1 MEDIUM - LEGS*
    5 LIGHT - HEAD, BELT, SHOULDERS, GLOVES, SHOES

* Or swap the legs out with any of the other Level 2 rated gear
    if one set is crafted, its best to use jewelry and two pieces from an dropped, an monster set and crafted weapon and three pieces to get 5/1/1 as monster set is random and crafted can be in any weight you can use the crafted to work around this.
    If both set are dropped you want moster set of the two off types.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will re-itterate what everyone is saying here -

If possible you want to keep your sets separated by 5 body pieces for one set, jewelry/weapons for another set. Reason being you want the option and flexibility to run a medium or in rare cases, a light armor set but you don't want to lose the heavy armor passives and resistance. This is the reason a set like Ebon, which is a set you can't really go wrong sporting as a tank in most content, you'd want all body. (aside from the weapon swapping thing but that's really kind of a small issue)

Some medium/light sets a tank might use (not a complete list but the most common I see)

Alkosh (almost a must-have, Ebon/Alkosh is the standard setup)
    War Machine (better for warden tanks with a cheap ultimate)
    Powerful Asssault
    Sanctuary

Now I see some posts about maximizing armor weights and such, but the truth of the matter is that as a tank in any sort of difficult content you'll need to be flexible, but that flexibility can lead to an inventory full of random stuff, a lot of which you're not going to be able to afford to gold, xmute, or add enchants without breaking the bank.

Therefore it makes the most sense to seek the pieces you need in the following parameters. Your trait choice will depend on personal preference, your relation to the resist cap, etc.

Prismatic Enchants are the best bang for your bug - meaning, you get more stats from one prismatic than you do for one health. Then base character ability points you choose as a tank should be spent to bump your stam above your mag (for most common builds but not all) and dump the rest into health, as again you're getting the most raw stats for your points spent using them on health. Tanks are all about having ways to recover resources, not have a large pool.

Monster Set:

Medium Head (Infused, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Light Shoulders (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)

Set 1:

Heavy Chest (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Legs (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Gloves (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Feet (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Belt (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)

Set 2:

1H Weapon (Infused, Decisive, Defending) (Weakening, Hardening Enchant or poison*)
    Shield (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic or Stamina Enchant)
    Lighting Staff (Infused) (Crushing Weapon Enchant)
    Jewelry (Triune, Healthy, Harmony, Infused, Protective) (Shielding, potion speed, magicka recovery)

So when you have all these options you can compare it to what you get from your CP, Class, and Race and figure out from there what's going to be optimal. So, I will put on my least-tankiest setup (probably alkosh and torugs without running two medium sets) and look at my numbers. For me my priority is being able to get my magic/physical resist to ~32,000. Then I want to have about 36-40K HP minimal. I know many tanks run less and do fine; its about knowing mechanics and avoiding one shots. However I use Balance from mages guild so I like having some extra HP for it.

Jewelry traits and enchants are the one place you can really tweak your build. If you're having a problem keeping stam to block, use shielding. Need more mag, use recovery. Potion speed is nice to use them sooner, especially as an argonian. Trait wise if you run with a regular group giving you a lot of synergies, harmony is good. Health low stick w/healthy. Stats in general not feeling up to par, triune. Need the resist cap - protective.

Hope that helps, isn't too confusing, and if anyone has any corrections feel free, I'm not an expert just mildly ocd :)

Edited by Krayl on February 14, 2019 10:57PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I ended up using Ebon rings, neck(Since I had the rings and neck drop) legs and chest, but after reading the new posts it makes sense to use all ebon armor and the alternate set as Alkosh (Alkoshat least for now until I acquire more variations for different situations). So I just need Alkosh rings, neck, shields and one hand weapons.

So light and medium monster
    All five armor slots = Ebon
    Rings, Neck, One hand weapons and shields = Roar of Alkosh

This has been very helpful.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »
    I will re-itterate what everyone is saying here -

If possible you want to keep your sets separated by 5 body pieces for one set, jewelry/weapons for another set. Reason being you want the option and flexibility to run a medium or in rare cases, a light armor set but you don't want to lose the heavy armor passives and resistance. This is the reason a set like Ebon, which is a set you can't really go wrong sporting as a tank in most content, you'd want all body. (aside from the weapon swapping thing but that's really kind of a small issue)

Some medium/light sets a tank might use (not a complete list but the most common I see)

Alkosh (almost a must-have, Ebon/Alkosh is the standard setup)
    War Machine (better for warden tanks with a cheap ultimate)
    Powerful Asssault
    Sanctuary

Now I see some posts about maximizing armor weights and such, but the truth of the matter is that as a tank in any sort of difficult content you'll need to be flexible, but that flexibility can lead to an inventory full of random stuff, a lot of which you're not going to be able to afford to gold, xmute, or add enchants without breaking the bank.

Therefore it makes the most sense to seek the pieces you need in the following parameters. Your trait choice will depend on personal preference, your relation to the resist cap, etc.

Prismatic Enchants are the best bang for your bug - meaning, you get more stats from one prismatic than you do for one health. Then base character ability points you choose as a tank should be spent to bump your stam above your mag (for most common builds but not all) and dump the rest into health, as again you're getting the most raw stats for your points spent using them on health. Tanks are all about having ways to recover resources, not have a large pool.

Monster Set:

Medium Head (Infused, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Light Shoulders (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)

Set 1:

Heavy Chest (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Legs (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Gloves (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Feet (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)
    Heavy Belt (Sturdy) (Prismatic Enchant)

Set 2:

1H Weapon (Infused, Decisive, Defending) (Weakening, Hardening Enchant or poison*)
    Shield (Infused, Reinforced, Sturdy) (Prismatic or Stamina Enchant)
    Lighting Staff (Infused) (Crushing Weapon Enchant)
    Jewelry (Triune, Healthy, Harmony, Infused, Protective) (Shielding, potion speed, magicka recovery)

So when you have all these options you can compare it to what you get from your CP, Class, and Race and figure out from there what's going to be optimal. So, I will put on my least-tankiest setup (probably alkosh and torugs without running two medium sets) and look at my numbers. For me my priority is being able to get my magic/physical resist to ~32,000. Then I want to have about 36-40K HP minimal. I know many tanks run less and do fine; its about knowing mechanics and avoiding one shots. However I use Balance from mages guild so I like having some extra HP for it.

Jewelry traits and enchants are the one place you can really tweak your build. If you're having a problem keeping stam to block, use shielding. Need more mag, use recovery. Potion speed is nice to use them sooner, especially as an argonian. Trait wise if you run with a regular group giving you a lot of synergies, harmony is good. Health low stick w/healthy. Stats in general not feeling up to par, triune. Need the resist cap - protective.

Hope that helps, isn't too confusing, and if anyone has any corrections feel free, I'm not an expert just mildly ocd :)

I see your build has it on almost all slots. I tried looking this up on google but no luck or maybe I'm blind lol but can you add what type of prismatic enchants you have on each? I currently have the extra magika, health and stamina ones on just two slots, is that the one you have on all of those or do you have different ones if so can you list?
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got a good run-down of best practices, however I would add that you should not use light/medium monster sets, because you lose too much resistance, especially if you run with blood spawn that has a very unreliable proc. If you have <28k resistances with the buffs you will have up all the time in an actual fight (so ignore all the procs that you can't rely on being up when you might actually need them), you will have difficulty surviving heavy attacks in some of the content.

And compensating with CPs isn't that great of an idea, because you would be giving up additional mitigation that you get on top of the resistances to get your resistances up. And if you go with reinforced gear, it will negate all of the benefit you get from having a larger stat pool. Also, having 7p heavy gives you more resource regen through the heavy armor passives, so going 5/1/1 for a tank is not as crucial as for a mag DD.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZeroXFF that all depends. Some swear by the Undaunted Mettle passive, others want all 7 matching.