The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Back to not quitting properly

FierceSam
FierceSam
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Unusually, I was able to play for more than an hour and got to the point where I wanted to quit. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the game didn't actually quit, it just released me from the server, gave me a black screen and just sat there ...

At least with the previous patch it quit badly and I got a verbose error report, now it just hangs around like a bad smell.

Ticket #181218-001209
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    I get this again now too - I quit the game and it stays in black screen indefinitely until I just force quit it.
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • otab
    otab
    ✭✭
    @FierceSam Try hitting Command+Opt+Esc if you find yourself stuck upon exit.

For me, that quits from the black screen immediately.
    I perform unspeakable acts on innocent source code.
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the black screen, but I do have to Force Quit.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • ArranHS
    ArranHS
    I too have to force quit
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some times people are very impatient. It can take 60 seconds to quit to desktop sometimes. I once stayed on an infinite load screen for 12 minutes and it did actually load. I do this so my add-on savedvariables don't get ducked up. Also, people: please use minion and make a backup every time you are done playing. And copy that backup to cloud storage like google drive.
    Edited by qbit on January 6, 2019 12:27AM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if you are leveling up in the forums and want to quit properly, then you need to send your stuff to q.bit (add the dot in game)
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bumping this, because I still get completely frozen every time I quit the game. I came back to eso hoping it would be fun, but the mac bugs are pretty insane.
  • ErinSparkblade
    As I mentioned another thread, I find I don’t have this issue if I close the launcher before I quit out the game.

Might be worth a try if you haven’t done that?
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    I think some times people are very impatient. It can take 60 seconds to quit to desktop sometimes. I once stayed on an infinite load screen for 12 minutes and it did actually load. I do this so my add-on savedvariables don't get ducked up. Also, people: please use minion and make a backup every time you are done playing. And copy that backup to cloud storage like google drive.

Yah nope.

I quit last night around 7:00pm. This morning at 7:45am it's still black screen with spinner.

While I warrant you can experience a slow load or a slow quit, this bug aint that. Don't blame the users. It's broke.
    Edited by protofeckless on February 13, 2019 12:47PM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to force quit as well.
  • qbkitsune
    qbkitsune
    ✭✭
    I’ve had the exact same problem for quite a while, likely around the time the thread started. I thought it had something to do with the things they were already trying to fix for the Mac client, but if the patch notes say they fixed stuff and it’s still happening, then it’s a different issue.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has something to do how long the client was running (maybe clearing up resource allocation?) as I noticed that if I login for only a short time (like doing trait research and horse training quickly across a few character) then afterwards the client quit without any problem. If have done any longer gaming session, then it just hangs on quit.
  • otab
    otab
    ✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    This has something to do how long the client was running (maybe clearing up resource allocation?) as I noticed that if I login for only a short time (like doing trait research and horse training quickly across a few character) then afterwards the client quit without any problem. If have done any longer gaming session, then it just hangs on quit.

Yes, I suspect that's exactly what it is. I'm thinking it's something like a resource allocation leak, where the longer you're logged in, the more resource pointers the engine has allocated, and the longer it's taking to deallocate them. I suspect it's not cleaning up after itself as you move around in the game, but rather it's deferring that cleanup until one of two things happens:
    • you crash because it can't allocate room for more
    • you exit the game, at which point it spins for a **long** time deallocating, but if you leave it alone long enough it will usually actually exit the black screen of death.
    Edited by otab on February 15, 2019 4:06PM
    I perform unspeakable acts on innocent source code.