The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lag in Cyro and other places - question

Earthewen
Earthewen
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a quick question for anyone who knows an answer …

As we are all away, there have been a lot of posts about lag, a lot of conjectures, a lot of aggravation on all sides. My question is this:

Does anyone have information or ZOS, will you answer and tell us how old the servers are? Have they been replaced lately at all? And could the age of these servers (outdated perhaps?) be a contributing factor the lag problems that both PVP and PVE are experiencing?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos is not going to answer such a question and it is not very relevant.

It is not about the hardware. That is not the issue. It is about the load that has been put on them which Zos has added to over the years with everything from more buffs and debuffs to CP. The server side calculations is what is loading down the servers and Zos had spoken to this. It could also deal with how well they organized their code.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if ZOS uses their own dedicated hardware instead of outsourcing to a service like AWS, hardware is relatively cheap and easy. I seriously doubt their hardware is the issue. Software optimization, however, is difficult, time consuming and can be seriously hampered by tiny calculations.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Even if ZOS uses their own dedicated hardware instead of outsourcing to a service like AWS, hardware is relatively cheap and easy. I seriously doubt their hardware is the issue. Software optimization, however, is difficult, time consuming and can be seriously hampered by tiny calculations.

Aren't they going through and updating software with the next few maintenance times? We had the first round already which is why it took so long. They said they're going through zone by zone I think. Although idk what if any effects that will have. I think with the removal of IC from Cyrodiil and the further character load optimizations theyre doing this year we may very well see some performance improvements. Also the switch to flat stats instead of modifiers, upcoming CP rework etc. They have said they hired more engineers to start delving into the issues with snipe and I imagine theyre working on other stuff too. It could take a while but if there was ever a year where things were going to start to change for real, this is it imo.