Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Speaking of Voice Acting

GLP323b14_ESO
GLP323b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭
*pun intended*

Hasn't technology advanced enough yet, where they could take a hand full of great voice actors, and make them sound like dozens or hundreds of different people simply by tweaking various characteristics of the voice?

The voice actors do a very good job in ESO, but it's less immersive when so many NPCs have the same voice.

PC/NA @GP323
  • Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably very time consuming, and more costly, to have to cut and edit every word of dialogue out of a limited amount of voice actors recorded dialogue, and tweak it all to give it a different vocal character. It might also be extremely hard to do that and make the flow of dialogue sound natural.

Much easier and cheaper to flesh out less important speaking roles with one voice actor.

I'd love it if there was a much larger range of voice actors though!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. I just totally dislike VA. Spare me. I don't want to hear what someone who is not ME thinks some important NPC should sound like.
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh... Vanus Galerion just killed it for me. I read about him when I first played Morrowind many years ago and was looking foward meeting the character in ESO. He's so annoying that I muted the game everytime he spoke. Voice acting is great, but sometimes it ruins things.
  • Nave_Horsespitoon
    John Cleese is hilarious as, the very eccentric Cadwell in Coldharbour! I always go talk with him to see if he has any new lines, so far he hasn’t let me down. Great fun! Very cool!
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    John Cleese is hilarious as, the very eccentric Cadwell in Coldharbour! I always go talk with him to see if he has any new lines, so far he hasn’t let me down. Great fun! Very cool!

Yes! This is a good example where voice acting is awesome! Cadwell is the best! I miss him... gonna visit him right now
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Ugh. I just totally dislike VA. Spare me. I don't want to hear what someone who is not ME thinks some important NPC should sound like.

I'd rather have sometimes bad voice acting than a completely silent game.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

I'd rather have sometimes bad voice acting than a completely silent game.

Agree 100%. People ragged on SotN's voice acting, but I loved it. It has a certain B-movie charm to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnskSFijXQ
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bit of trivia....
    Total Named NPC's ~16,045 @UD12 (Note: 2016 Guinness World Record Holder for “Most Unique NPC's in a Video Game”.)

Also, there are over 100 voice actors for ESO, with lots of classic voices from previous TES games and celebrities, besides our favorite John Cleese. :)

Here is a list of 70 or so if anyone is interested.....
    I think the voice acting is amazing in ESO, not near as bad as Oblivian or Skyrim for every one sounding the same.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still wish Molag’s VA from Skyrim was in eso