The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Magicka Weapon Skill Tree

Kattemynte
Kattemynte
✭✭✭
So one of the reasons why I avoid playing magicka characters is the fact you are almost always made to play with a staff. I dislike the look of staves and typically avoid them.
My suggestion for a new skill tree for magicka would be one hand and tome or something similar. It would still be able to incorporate the fire/frost/lightning aspect and have its own passives giving makicka players more options when it comes to weapons.
Anyone else think this is a viable idea or would like to add other suggestions?
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a new magicka weapon would be good. I'd prefer it do magic damage though, so it could more effectively use sets like War Maiden.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be interesting if it had limited viability for Stam as well similar to how DW is viable for magicka in a limited and niche way.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tome is the best idea I ever seen.

I would love to try Tome/Staff or Tome/Tome just to stop seeing staff 24/7.

I'm dying inside ever time I cast a destruction staff ability.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh and for Tome skills there could be...

Long cast skills that can be interrupted. Makes a new type of gameplay to get one of those skills off. They should be really strong too like a tornado summon.

Enhancement skill or summon that lowers teh caster's max health/magick/stamina while active. So they are reserving HP/Mag/Stam to keep the buff or summon up. It's new type of skill management.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a new magicka weapon would be good. I'd prefer it do magic damage though, so it could more effectively use sets like War Maiden.

A "bound weapon" skill line wold be nice and very lore friendly
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kattemynte wrote: »
    So one of the reasons why I avoid playing magicka characters is the fact you are almost always made to play with a staff. I dislike the look of staves and typically avoid them.
    My suggestion for a new skill tree for magicka would be one hand and tome or something similar. It would still be able to incorporate the fire/frost/lightning aspect and have its own passives giving makicka players more options when it comes to weapons.
    Anyone else think this is a viable idea or would like to add other suggestions?

This is an excellent idea and something I and my ESO friends have also discussed for a long time.

Some of them do not like using staffs, it just doesn't suit their style of play or preferred character design. But they do still like to use magica abilities of course!

Wielding magic without a staff would be a fantastic addition I think.

Failing that, even the ability to "hide weapon", as we can with our helmets, would be great.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really like playing with the staffs either. I use the restoration staff for heavy attacks on my back bar but on the front I just use sword and shield.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In elder scrolls games, characters have always just used their hands to cast spells. I would like a new weapon skill line that basically allowed you to just cast without a weapon on your back or hands. I dont want to see Wands or scepters or anything.
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually since the long time in files there is datamined one handed and orb/rune/spell. So maybe in next year we will get, also we have 2 offcial pictures (not fan things) with one handed and orb
    a1885fce245d41218393912c51c0155b.jpg

TBlNSpu.jpg

Or maybe even we will get this year Q3/Q4 after we get to know better a wood elf lady from 1st picture
    Edited by DarkPicture on February 6, 2019 12:18AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That wood elf lady just gave me an amazing idea. Why not an orb and you combine it with a one handed weapon like an axe or sword. That would be AMAZING.

I main a magblade and it always seemed weird to me that to do max damage I needed to use staves. Nightblades have all these magicka attacks that are melee range that don’t make sense.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    That wood elf lady just gave me an amazing idea. Why not an orb and you combine it with a one handed weapon like an axe or sword. That would be AMAZING.

I main a magblade and it always seemed weird to me that to do max damage I needed to use staves. Nightblades have all these magicka attacks that are melee range that don’t make sense.

It will works like that, as u can see on first picture u have sword, and on second there is staff destro/restro so that's why is one handed without choosing one specific weapon, so they dont need to create new type. They also will not add a new type weapons because if they would add, they need to make all motifs for this weapon plus add to achiviements and how it would looks when u have completed achi and missing 1 motif weapon.

So weapons which u will see its be daggers, axes, swords, destro staffs, maybe restro and other 2h weapons, but im not sure with shield because orb will take a place for shield.
    Edited by DarkPicture on February 6, 2019 1:15AM
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not an orb and you combine it with a one handed weapon like an axe or sword. That would be AMAZING.

Welcome to Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, aka The Elder Scrolls 3, 4 and 5.
  • VeiledCriticism
    VeiledCriticism
    ✭✭✭
    That actually would be an awesome opportunity to make hybrids a thing
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see something like this. The tome idea would be really cool. Wands as well! Even in old school pen and paper casters weren't locked into using simple staves.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it would make some sort of cool melee magicka build viable. I’d play that in a second. Magplars and Magblades would be obvious choices but maybe Sorcs as well.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find a grocery list for arcane items at the Shad Astula school of magic in Deshaan which mentions wands
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always felt bound weapons was an obvious choice. We've had new classes & new skill lines but no new weapons. Stam users have so much choice and combinations. Magicka users just have staff. Bound Weapons are lore friendly in the conjugation magic line.
    What I would absolutely love though is the option for 1h weapon and spell casting.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bound weapons would be good, save you the trouble of trying to get a one handed drop to go with your orb if it’s an off hand item.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vote for Tomes 2019
  • gui3344
    gui3344
    Soul Shriven
    Equippable Bound Weapons, they could re use all the textures and just make them spectral-looking and they could be Two Handed, Dual Wield or Bow and you could use the respective weapon skill lines but they would scale with spell damage and deal magic damage on basic attack and skills instead.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    I always felt bound weapons was an obvious choice. We've had new classes & new skill lines but no new weapons. Stam users have so much choice and combinations. Magicka users just have staff. Bound Weapons are lore friendly in the conjugation magic line.
    What I would absolutely love though is the option for 1h weapon and spell casting.

Because you literally get all of your class to use and not just 5 abilities.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    Always wanted to play mage with sword/dagger using it for spells like staff. Aswell as it would be great to play with sword and staff B)
    But it really could be one-handed weapon + book/any off-handed mage thing. And I hope they will ad it.
    As well as necromancer is much cooler with ceremonial dagger + offhand book B)
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Actually since the long time in files there is datamined one handed and orb/rune/spell. So maybe in next year we will get, also we have 2 offcial pictures (not fan things) with one handed and orb
    a1885fce245d41218393912c51c0155b.jpg

TBlNSpu.jpg

Or maybe even we will get this year Q3/Q4 after we get to know better a wood elf lady from 1st picture

Been waiting a long time for this...